Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah hey at least on the plus side we have this Saturday and Sunday off for now aka today and tomorrow. I'll update you guys/gals on how everything is going and if anybody has questions don't be afraid to ask me anything I'll be more than happy to help everyone here because I know all of you will pass and ace school car with flying colors.

Hell yea, Thanks scheff, you been a big help! 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Schecter said:

You got this man, the instructors will drill all this information into your head that you'll be dreaming about trains and such every night. 

PS. Towards the ending of school car everynight I started to dream about trains lmao

I’m glad. I admit I have a few nerves too bc t/o schoolcar is a lot more intensive than c/r schoolcar. I’ve already been hitting the rule book and memorized a few signals almost verbatim. 

18 minutes ago, Schecter said:

You got this man, the instructors will drill all this information into your head that you'll be dreaming about trains and such every night. 

PS. Towards the ending of school car everynight I started to dream about trains lmao

And thx!

1 minute ago, MarkGuy said:

And thx!

You're welcome and yes definitely t/o school is way more intensive, the signals exams 100% on both and doing your yard practical within 45 minutes on the train and making sure during your road practical that you don't mess up on anything so it's scary.

4 minutes ago, Schecter said:

You're welcome and yes definitely t/o school is way more intensive, the signals exams 100% on both and doing your yard practical within 45 minutes on the train and making sure during your road practical that you don't mess up on anything so it's scary.

Well by the time of the final road practical making station stops you’ve already made hundreds during road posting and road ops. 

I also spoke pike with a t/o fresh outta schoolcar recently and he said during his final road practical the TSS gave muhtiole chances to those who failed til they satisfied him.

and other t/os have said the signal test isn’t as scary as it sounds. So I’ll see

12 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Well by the time of the final road practical making station stops you’ve already made hundreds during road posting and road ops. 

I also spoke pike with a t/o fresh outta schoolcar recently and he said during his final road practical the TSS gave muhtiole chances to those who failed til they satisfied him.

and other t/os have said the signal test isn’t as scary as it sounds. So I’ll see

Yeah it's the test arent hard they just trying scaring you like the practical yesterday was easier than it sounded. They made it sound so scary and then when you get up there you do like 3 or 4 stops and then you're done you're like really all this scaring us for nothing. But I wish you nothing but the best and wish to see you guys down in the tubes!!!

Edited by Schecter

On 7/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, Schecter said:

Yeah it's the test arent hard they just trying scaring you like the practical yesterday was easier than it sounded. They made it sound so scary and then when you get up there you do like 3 or 4 stops and then you're done you're like really all this scaring us for nothing. But I wish you nothing but the best and wish to see you guys down in the tubes!!!

Yea my class TSS are scaring the shit outta of us lol 

7 hours ago, Riku said:

Larkin and montilla lol 

Okay my bad you did tell me lol. Don't worry my TSS acted like the practical and exams were like some rocket science exam. When I read the questions both the midterm and final I'm like really... how can someone not pass these exams.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, Schecter said:

Real talk though:

Your first day out *alone* will be the scariest. 

Pro tip: see nothing say nothing >_>;

10 hours ago, Schecter said:

Okay my bad you did tell me lol. Don't worry my TSS acted like the practical and exams were like some rocket science exam. When I read the questions both the midterm and final I'm like really... how can someone not pass these exams.

Lol I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all the quizzes we took put into one 

31 minutes ago, Brooklyn11208 said:

Congrats to everyone called and good luck to those in training and already on the road.  Does anyone know what the last list number was called for the Oral?  Are they still calling people for the Oral?  Thanks

Whats your list number

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

My first day out alone is tomorrow 

Goodluck. Just remember everything you learned in school car & take your time. Try to get there a little early and let the TD know it’s your first day out and introduce yourself to your partner and let them know as well. What line are you going to be on? 

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Goodluck. Just remember everything you learned in school car & take your time. Try to get there a little early and let the TD know it’s your first day out and introduce yourself to your partner and let them know as well. What line are you going to be on? 

The 1 

On 7/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, nipaaaa said:

nah it was an earnest question. My story has nothing to do with my it. I know some of the conductor duties but not all, maybe there are some things that aren't as obvious like door operation that I wanted to learn about. And trust me, there is no operator vs conductor, that's just a myth to fuel the narrative.

Yea, it's a myth until you get to schoolcar and they pit the CRs against the TOs and want them to pull the cord/call in every little thing they do. Then you get on thr road and gain a bad rep and no one wants to work w you.

12 minutes ago, The Batcave said:

Yea, it's a myth until you get to schoolcar and they pit the CRs against the TOs and want them to pull the cord/call in every little thing they do. Then you get on thr road and gain a bad rep and no one wants to work w you.

Also, they will tell you in schoolcar that you're not being paid to open/close doors bcuz anyone can do that- you're being paid to 1) ensure the safety of the passengers & 2) know what to do/how to react when shit hits the fan. 

But TOs & CRs can/do have very productive partnerships afterall it is y'all's job to get that train from one end to the other safely. But many times in schoolcar they have insinuated the "throw them under the train" approach in order to save your job esp if you're on probation. It's sad actually.