Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Yeah following the rules isn't petty it's enforced from day 1 to have all your PPEs and to not be late. Of course things happen in life and sometimes it can cause you to be late, but think of it like this if you're late in school car you most likely are going to be late when you're on your own. And if you're late to work then trains get delayed, then they have to scramble to find someone to cover your spot, and then by that happening the customers which are number one are late to their destinations. MTA wants everybody who works for RTO to save safe seconds. It's honestly common sense don't be late and follow the rules the TSS tell your during school car. Just bring your PPEs and don't be late. You also don't want Mr. DeNardo the director in school car to talk to you trust me.

Ps. I'm not arguing or attacking anybody, like I've been saying I want everyone to do great and get in.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah following the rules isn't petty it's enforced from day 1 to have all your PPEs and to not be late. Of course things happen in life and sometimes it can cause you to be late, but think of it like this if you're late in school car you most likely are going to be late when you're on your own. And if you're late to work then trains get delayed, then they have to scramble to find someone to cover your spot, and then by that happening the customers which are number one are late to their destinations. MTA wants everybody who works for RTO to save safe seconds. It's honestly common sense don't be late and follow the rules the TSS tell your during school car. Just bring your PPEs and don't be late. You also don't want Mr. DeNardo the director in school car to talk to you trust me.

Ps. I'm not arguing or attacking anybody, like I've been saying I want everyone to do great and get in.

Is Mr. DeNardo a mean person?

14 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Is Mr. DeNardo a mean person?

No he's not mean at all, he's the director of school car and he works inside ps248. Don't follow the rules or if he catches you in the hallway you're done. Especially using your phone while in the hallways would be game over lol.

21 minutes ago, Schecter said:

No he's not mean at all, he's the director of school car and he works inside ps248. Don't follow the rules or if he catches you in the hallway you're done. Especially using your phone while in the hallways would be game over lol.

"Catches you in the hallway", well technically speaking....you have to be in the hallway to get into the classroom. How else are you going to get inside the classroom? 

What you're trying to say is that he doesn't want you in the hallway hanging out? ( That I understand)  

The cell phone thing I understand.

3 hours ago, Schecter said:

Holy crap God been on my side cause I been using my phone in the hallway now I know cause we still gotta go back there for midterm and stuff. Plus TSS just told us about someone getting terminated for their phone. Phone and opening doors on the wrong side with no platform is just game over on the spot. 

7 minutes ago, Riku said:

Holy crap God been on my side cause I been using my phone in the hallway now I know cause we still gotta go back there for midterm and stuff. Plus TSS just told us about someone getting terminated for their phone. Phone and opening doors on the wrong side with no platform is just game over on the spot. 

Something that have been bothering me for the longest and I still don’t understand still, how can someone open the doors on the wrong side? Are they not taught to look for that board and point to it? Can someone please explain that one to me, I mean I don’t mean to sound like a know it all, but that’s common sense. You don’t see the board, you don’t open the doors. 

48 minutes ago, Oceans11 said:

Something that have been bothering me for the longest and I still don’t understand still, how can someone open the doors on the wrong side? Are they not taught to look for that board and point to it? Can someone please explain that one to me, I mean I don’t mean to sound like a know it all, but that’s common sense. You don’t see the board, you don’t open the doors. 

I said samething Believe it or not from the stories they tell you it happens. Ironically a story that was told to us, was about a conductor who was really sharp in school car and said the same thing in class and long behold he did what he shouldn’t of done because of long story short pressure, a short stop which means part of the train is out the station that’s another no no if you open. Haven’t gotten out there yet but I’m making sure if that conductor board is missing or it’s not a perfect stop them doors ain’t opening 😂

30 minutes ago, Riku said:

I said samething Believe it or not from the stories they tell you it happens. Ironically a story that was told to us, was about a conductor who was really sharp in school car and said the same thing in class and long behold he did what he shouldn’t of done because of long story short pressure, a short stop which means part of the train is out the station that’s another no no if you open. Haven’t gotten out there yet but I’m making sure if that conductor board is missing or it’s not a perfect stop them doors ain’t opening 😂

Another thing, when you say the train did a short stop, how often do that happen? If you notice that, do you report it to the tower or just ask your partner to move up some more? Sounds like everything we doing as conductors is to ensure safety for the public as well as our jobs but not reacting without thinking calmly and clearly. 

Edited by Oceans11

1 minute ago, Oceans11 said:

Another thing, when you say the train did a short stop, how often do that happen? If you notice that, do you report it to the tower or just ask your partner to move up some more? 

I believe it’s a combo of both, it’s a whole bulletin on that procedure for short stops and station overruns tho cause that’s the road practical. But My class hasn’t even gotten to that yet cause we are still doing terminal procedures 

4 hours ago, train1290 said:

"Catches you in the hallway", well technically speaking....you have to be in the hallway to get into the classroom. How else are you going to get inside the classroom? 

What you're trying to say is that he doesn't want you in the hallway hanging out? ( That I understand)  

The cell phone thing I understand.

Meant to say catches you in the hallway on your phone lol sorry

40 minutes ago, Riku said:

Was that the story about the conductor on the C/A train at metrotech who was being pressured to open doors.

4 minutes ago, Riku said:

Yup that’s the same one. 

Yeah I felt bad for that guy but tbh I wouldn't told train operator to move up and not open them doors. And if anything i would of said well per bulletin it says such and such. No board no doors lol.

9 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah I felt bad for that guy but tbh I wouldn't told train operator to move up and not open them doors. And if anything i would of said well per bulletin it says such and such. No board no doors lol.

Me too, that shit sucks. but yeah no board no doors just hope we all get great train operators that’s nice with the stops and it’s perfect all the way 😂

8 hours ago, Riku said:

Me too, that shit sucks. but yeah no board no doors just hope we all get great train operators that’s nice with the stops and it’s perfect all the way 😂

Good luck with that lol. It’s never going to be always perfect, however, if you and your partner communicate things can be a lot easier! A lot of the outdoor stations are longer, so you can pass the board and still be abreast of the platform and be able to open. Now that’s on you if you want to call it in or not. More than likely the T/O will give you 2 buzzers and hit you on the IC but again if you don’t want to open up communicate that, then contact control. But again nothing down here is perfect so don’t expect that coming into the job! 

3 hours ago, Imhim said:

Good luck with that lol. It’s never going to be always perfect, however, if you and your partner communicate things can be a lot easier! A lot of the outdoor stations are longer, so you can pass the board and still be abreast of the platform and be able to open. Now that’s on you if you want to call it in or not. More than likely the T/O will give you 2 buzzers and hit you on the IC but again if you don’t want to open up communicate that, then contact control. But again nothing down here is perfect so don’t expect that coming into the job! 

Noticed that also I've been on the road since last Tuesday and some boards are off and you have to point diagonally and all doors are abreast of the station. Some of these stations were just never fixed and the boards were put up when trains only had single cabs and not transverse.

4 hours ago, Imhim said:

That’s true, yeah communication is everything it sucks that some operators won’t say anything to ya but is what it is. Gotta know ur job plus others rule 2 d lol 

23 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

This person isn’t even in the crew rooms yet, still in training. More like a Yard/Trailer lawyer lol. 

Someone has to be crazy to let that sway their decision on a job like this, but hey there’s 30 thousand people behind you that would love your spot...

I gotta disagree here. While I understand being in time is vital especially in the beginning. People with options like everything in life weigh those options. There may be 30k +people waiting not even a third of them are getting in. 

This board member is speaking to local 6 union members and others. Our probation is 3 mos. Sick days are that sick days whenever we want to use. Our union fights for us most times. Our break room is clean and business agent would flip if it isn't. We start at 27 per hr and max out in 4 yrs at 36.75 right now. Ot  starts at 35 hrs. 

It's a tough decision for some. It's good to hear the good and the bad. To render a good decision. No need to get overly defensive. Everyone thinks differently. Respectfully I'm hoping many make the wise choice on what career to pursue. 

6 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

I gotta disagree here. While I understand being in time is vital especially in the beginning. People with options like everything in life weigh those options. There may be 30k +people waiting not even a third of them are getting in. 

This board member is speaking to local 6 union members and others. Our probation is 3 mos. Sick days are that sick days whenever we want to use. Our union fights for us most times. Our break room is clean and business agent would flip if it isn't. We start at 27 per hr and max out in 4 yrs at 36.75 right now. Ot  starts at 35 hrs. 

It's a tough decision for some. It's good to hear the good and the bad. To render a good decision. No need to get overly defensive. Everyone thinks differently. Respectfully I'm hoping many make the wise choice on what career to pursue. 

I agree some crew rooms are a mess I heard that one crew room was full of bed bugs down here and on the trains. Doesn't sound pleasant but the union does nothing about it tbh, and some bathrooms are filthy and people deface the train like inside the conductor's cab people scribble shit and write offensive words it's like the people down here are high schoolers well considering all you need is a high school diploma to get in go figure.

45 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I agree some crew rooms are a mess I heard that one crew room was full of bed bugs down here and on the trains. Doesn't sound pleasant but the union does nothing about it tbh, and some bathrooms are filthy and people deface the train like inside the conductor's cab people scribble shit and write offensive words it's like the people down here are high schoolers well considering all you need is a high school diploma to get in go figure.

Yeah that point is valid. I’ve seen videos and photos of some of the conditions in transit crew rooms. One recent example is a video of the 207th st crew room having urinals right near the fridge which is f**king nasty. 

I do feel racism plays a large role; NYCT is mostly black and Spanish and they deal with such conditions that LIRR and MNRR workers (who I believe are largely white) don’t or seldom do. That aspect has to change.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

Yeah that point is valid. I’ve seen videos and photos of some of the conditions in transit crew rooms. One recent example is a video of the 207th st crew room having urinals right near the fridge which is f**king nasty. 

I do feel racism plays a large role; NYCT is mostly black and Spanish and they deal with such conditions that LIRR and MNRR workers (who I believe are largely white) don’t or seldom do. That aspect has to change.

Speaking of LIRR and Metro North if i was up for a job there. I wouldn't even think twice and take it. 

They can strike and their union is strong. And they get higher rate of pay and slightly better benefits. 

Edited by Nyctransitorhotels

21 minutes ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Speaking of LIRR and Metro North if i was up for a job there. I wouldn't even think twice and take it. 

They can strike and their union is strong. And they get higher rate of pay and slightly better benefits. 

They're hiring train operators right now I think the last day to apply is today 

6 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Which one you thinking of choosing bro? MTA or Hotel? I’ve been going back and forth. 

9 hours ago, NUSN said:

Which one you thinking of choosing bro? MTA or Hotel? I’ve been going back and forth. 

Ima pm you. Why I'm leaning towards local 6. I haven't gotten a letter to decide yet. But that should be coming soon since I'm mid 1900's. 

It's because of pay, quality of life-bathroom breaks, switch shifts, come in later decide day before, seniority, free food-decent to good, overtime after 35hrs. Can use cell quickly almost whenever I want, back of the house. 

Ima pm you from now on if we talk about this more. I don't want to derail the thread. Just was very intrigued others in my same position. 

22 hours ago, Nyctransitorhotels said:

Maybe I should’ve explained in greater detail why I disagree with what that poster said (and I will now) you can say it’s being overly defensive, I say that person is posting misinformation. 

Re being late: Like others said as long as the train/bus was scheduled to get you to your reporting location on time then you’re fine. They try to scare you in Schoolcar about being late (and yes it’s a serious thing) but in reality a lot of dispatchers don’t really make a scene about it as long as you’re on time to make your interval. 

Re probation & union: As long as you follow the rules, use common sense, show up on time getting off probation shouldn’t be a problem. There are laws they and rules the agency has to follow. You have to really screwup and to get canned on probation.

There’s schoolcar and the real world. That person isn’t even finished training and making claims based off of hearsay like OT drying up and managers deciding who gets OT. Almost everyday on the radio they’re calling for conductors and train operators to work on their days off. There’s been plenty of times when dispatchers will ask me if I want to make an extra trip for a late clear and I tell them no. I like to do my 8 and go home. When you finish schoolcar and are released to the crew office you will be making OT everyweek since you won’t have a picked job. 

Yes there are some valid things like the starting pay being low and the conditions of some facilities, but there’s a lot of misinformation in there as well.