R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

On the NBC 4 R211 news story when they talked about the R46 being replaced..... they showed video of an R68.

Also the MTA president said it's time for the cars to take a swim, the MTA president isn't aware that they went back to scrapping cars the old fashioned way? Unless plans changed. I doubt they will go back to reefing for R46 disposal as the stainless steel reef program didn't age as well as it did with the Redbirds.

Not for nothing but do you expect the media to know the difference between a New York subway car...... cause I don't lol.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Didn't they show an R62A? Either we didn't watch the same video or that's one hell of a mandela effect I'm experiencing.

The NBC4 5PM newscast showed an R68 but the YouTube version showed an R62A on the (6)

They switched the video and still got the wrong car class lol

ABC7 got it right by actually showing an R46 on the (A).

Edited by trainfan22

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The NBC4 5PM newscast showed an R68 but the YouTube version showed an R62A on the (6)

They switched the video and still got the wrong car class lol

ABC7 got it right by actually showing an R46 on the (A).

Ah that explains everything, funny how ABC7 got the R46 right, yet didn't mention them running on the (N)(Q)(W). I'll give them a pass on the (SIR) with the R44 since they practically look the same.

1 minute ago, Vulturious said:

Ah that explains everything, funny how ABC7 got the R46 right, yet didn't mention them running on the (N)(Q)(W). I'll give them a pass on the (SIR) with the R44 since they practically look the same.

No one from the MTA mention about R46’s running on the N Q W either. 

43 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

That's because the NQW trains aren't getting r211's.

The main focus is the A/C trains. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is anyone else concerned with the fact that no word has been said about the “S” class? There’s all this hype about the “T” and “A” but not one single official has said anything about SIR.

I'm not, considering that various media outlets mentioned that Staten Island is getting R211s.

And since the SIR units aren't even here yet.

Edited by Cait Sith

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

On the NBC 4 R211 news story when they talked about the R46 being replaced..... they showed video of an R68.

I think channel 7 got it the closest. They were talking about how the R211s were replacing the R46 models that were predominantly "on the A and C lines, and the Staten Island Railway."

Technically the SIR models are R44s, but at least the routes mentioned were all correct.

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Also the MTA president said it's time for the cars to take a swim, the MTA president isn't aware that they went back to scrapping cars the old fashioned way? Unless plans changed. I doubt they will go back to reefing for R46 disposal as the stainless steel reef program didn't age as well as it did with the Redbirds.

It's beyond ridiculous on how long NYCT Presidents have stayed lately.  No doubt Richard Davey is still learning how things are done here.  Now if he wants to change things, well the only person he reports to is MTA Head Janno Lieber.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is anyone else concerned with the fact that no word has been said about the “S” class? There’s all this hype about the “T” and “A” but not one single official has said anything about SIR.

They have to keep it simple for the press, plus when any story airs on TV they have limited time to show it.

When Staten Island gets their allotment, I guarantee there will be a big press briefing and the SI Advance will make it a page 1 story.  But for now, it makes no sense to mention it because they are quite a ways away from getting them, plus NYCT doesn't want Staten Islanders to get more pissed off than they already are because their cars are so late already and their R44's are being held together with the proverbial "duct tape, glue and chewing gum".

On 2/4/2023 at 2:25 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

They have to keep it simple for the press, plus when any story airs on TV they have limited time to show it.

When Staten Island gets their allotment, I guarantee there will be a big press briefing and the SI Advance will make it a page 1 story.  But for now, it makes no sense to mention it because they are quite a ways away from getting them, plus NYCT doesn't want Staten Islanders to get more pissed off than they already are because their cars are so late already and their R44's are being held together with the proverbial "duct tape, glue and chewing gum".

Staten Islander here

Can we have the R46s retiring from the A and C after a few months of refit from CIY

Edited by JustTheSIR

17 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

Staten Islander here

Can we have the R46s retiring from the A and C after a few months of refit from CIY

No, that’s costly and cost ineffective for the time being. You’ll spend more on labor and maintenance than waiting another two years and receiving “Rail road qualified” equipment.

1 hour ago, VIP said:

No, that’s costly and cost ineffective for the time being. You’ll spend more on labor and maintenance than waiting another two years and receiving “Rail road qualified” equipment.

How is that costly? The R44 and R46 use relatively the same base cab and all they would have to do is install the cab signal equipment.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

How is that costly? The R44 and R46 use relatively the same base cab and all they would have to do is install the cab signal equipment.

It's no point in doing it when the cars could retire 2 and a half years from now. It would be a waste of money and the R46s are tired, It wouldn't make a difference. Years ago they did have a plan to send r46s out there to replace the R44s but they decided not to which imo was dumb. But if they did, They would have had to keep a larger chunk of R32s for those displaced R46s.

I thought I heard one of the bigwigs saying that these cars will be 3 times as reliable as the R160s.  Or is it 3x as reliable as an R46?  Given the condition of the R46 that's not even a compliment. 

But could someone educate me as to why this is taking so long?  They've had that test train for how long now?  Couldn't they put it in service now?  What are they waiting for?

1 hour ago, zacster said:

I thought I heard one of the bigwigs saying that these cars will be 3 times as reliable as the R160s.  Or is it 3x as reliable as an R46?  Given the condition of the R46 that's not even a compliment. 

But could someone educate me as to why this is taking so long?  They've had that test train for how long now?  Couldn't they put it in service now?  What are they waiting for?

it means they were finding problems during the testing phases. The process is long for a reason, and if something fails they need to find out why and fix it

9 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

it means they were finding problems during the testing phases. The process is long for a reason, and if something fails they need to find out why and fix it

Also the Subway System is just physically large. I was watching some of DJ Hammer's videos and they were running them through a lot of diverse parts of the B division and ideally they prolly want to run them on every mile of B-division track in use.

At the very least though, they need to test the extremes, like most extreme curve, most extreme S-curve, most extreme inclines and declines, narrowest tunnel, ect.