R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

There are three trains on property right now. The single 211A prototype and the two 211T prototypes. So 30 cars all together in three trains

the 211A will hopefully begin it’s 30 day test in the next few weeks.

the 211Ts will not see customer service until the end of the year.

Why only one set of 10 car R211A? They should have more sets available since this will be the main car to replace the R46. Smh

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

There are three trains on property right now. The single 211A prototype and the two 211T prototypes. So 30 cars all together in three trains

the 211A will hopefully begin it’s 30 day test in the next few weeks.

the 211Ts will not see customer service until the end of the year.

How come? What’s the point of retesting the 211T’s if the technology has already been tested on the main set?

33 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Why only one set of 10 car R211A? They should have more sets available since this will be the main car to replace the R46. Smh

It's standard procurement process to accept just one train for testing and fully test it before accepting additional trains. That doesn't mean more trains aren't being manufactured, it's just an issue of when they're delivered. The point of testing is to find and fix issues, and those issues may be in design or quality control. There's always something that needs tweaking. Then the manufacturer needs to address those issues on all of the trains already manufactured. So it's better that most of the trains are still at the factory instead of on MTA property. 

34 minutes ago, rbrome said:

It's standard procurement process to accept just one train for testing and fully test it before accepting additional trains. That doesn't mean more trains aren't being manufactured, it's just an issue of when they're delivered. The point of testing is to find and fix issues, and those issues may be in design or quality control. There's always something that needs tweaking. Then the manufacturer needs to address those issues on all of the trains already manufactured. So it's better that most of the trains are still at the factory instead of on MTA property. 

Also cars like the R179 and R46 have scarred the MTA bit before, and since the expected fleet of R211s is gonna be pretty huge, I imagine they're being extra careful.

6 hours ago, rbrome said:

Exactly. I think there are already about 60 cars mostly assembled (from a previous post), including the SIR pilot cars. Also, the 20 open gangway cars that have arrived also now need to be modified in-house by the MTA in a similar fashion that the original R211A cars were before they enter service. That makes sense since the cars were delivered prior to all the tweaks made in-house to the pilot R211A train

Edited by darkstar8983

22 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Exactly. I think there are already about 60 cars mostly assembled (from a previous post), including the SIR pilot cars. Also, the 20 open gangway cars that have arrived also now need to be modified in-house by the MTA in a similar fashion that the original R211A cars were before they enter service. That makes sense since the cars were delivered prior to all the tweaks made in-house to the pilot R211A train

100 plus cars are built, they were up to 4090 3-4 months ago in that video that just surfaced. once the 300 day test is done (if the train passes) expect to see the R211As come in droves. The R211S should be coming very soon.

8 hours ago, rbrome said:

They should be testing multiple sets at once in my opinion. I get that they do burn in and I know more are being manufactured, but test multiple to speed up the process.

1 hour ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

They should be testing multiple sets at once in my opinion. I get that they do burn in and I know more are being manufactured, but test multiple to speed up the process.

The entire point is to isolate manufacturing issues that might have happened and fix the cars in the factory before they leave. Do you want to waste valuable work space in the shops to fix issues on multiple cars or do you want to have the factory workers do it?

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

The entire point is to isolate manufacturing issues that might have happened and fix the cars in the factory before they leave. Do you want to waste valuable work space in the shops to fix issues on multiple cars or do you want to have the factory workers do it?

I didn't think of that. That makes sense.

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn

On 2/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I'm (probably) going away to college next year; it'd be really sad if the R211s aren't even out by the time I start college.

I hear you! I moved away last month. I've been keeping tabs on these so closely, so I was really hoping there would at least be an opportunity to ride these during revenue testing before I moved. Oh well. 

On 2/20/2023 at 2:17 AM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Perhaps there is confusion around what type of testing this is and the point of it. 

The point of the current testing is to test this train type, since this is a whole new model of train. And of course there are actually multiple variants of this model, which is why the MTA is currently getting one of each to test. They are looking for design issues. They are also looking for manufacturing defects, but mainly for ones that could indicate a flaw in the manufacturing process. 

The point is not to test each car for one-off manufacturing defects. That is a different type of testing that will come later in the process. 

So for the current type of testing, they only need one of each type. Multiple sets would only complicate this testing process. 

On 2/21/2023 at 11:37 AM, rbrome said:

I hear you! I moved away last month. I've been keeping tabs on these so closely, so I was really hoping there would at least be an opportunity to ride these during revenue testing before I moved. Oh well. 

Damn sorry man. hopefully you're able to at least take a trip to NYC sometime in the near future and try to catch one; in a year or two they should be widespread like the R46s and R160s.