R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, rbrome said:

How completely unnecessary. The trains don't need to be "patriotic". It's just more visual clutter mucking up the look. Sigh. 

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Why is the flag being on there such a big deal all of a sudden? It's on basically every other piece of equipment in the system...

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think its since Sept-11 that all MTA equipment be donned with a US flag. Im surprised they put the flag there, where normally the MTA logo would go. and the flag could go next to thee first door panel opposite the car number, similar to how the R142A/R188/R143/R160 cars have them.

I know some people are just glad the flag won't be on the front of the train now. I'm personally not for the flag or against it as I don't feel it contributes or takes away from the train's overall appearance. I'm just glad the trains will have a new / different look now.

Also, I believe they put the flag on one side and the (MTA) logo on the other side, you know where the plate numbers are (direct response to darkstar8983's post).

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added extra response.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think the only NTT cars that were able to enter service without major teething issues were either the R142As or R143s 

142A's had some kinks, and of course the redbird fans were cheering on when those trains broke down. But the 143s basically had no issues. 

New fleets bring trouble with them more often than not, R46/68/179 were all disastrous at the start, but none got scrapped like ppl was fearing.  

3 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Why is the flag being on there such a big deal all of a sudden? It's on basically every other piece of equipment in the system...

i got used to seeing the R211 without an American flag, also the area were the flag is being placed looks unusual from the rest of NTT’s they’re usually placed near the destination signs, this one is like a replica of the R46’s

7 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

It was obvious that it wouldn’t start today, there would’ve been some sort of announcement 3 days before it enters service

I know what you mean, but there's always gonna be that small group of people that don't get the memo 'til it's too late. I just wanted to know how many it would be.

From what I can put togther, this would have been a special under a GO. I was right. This would have been a GO job for the TO Nova said they know.

GOs are not just construction, but effectively anything that can result in a change of service. Hence what GO is short for is “General Order”.

because the train is not part of our normal road fleet (yet) it would have to operate under a GO. All museum train rides, be they the actual Nostalgia Trains the Museum runs itself or the holiday in service specials… those occur under the authority of GOs. 

For another example… there is a GO on Monday on the J… that you would not know hide nor hair about unless one of us with access to the GO database told you about it … because it’s for NYPD training on the closed Bowery and Canal platforms.

if this was the start of the 30 day test, it would have had a bulletin. If they were running as a special train, there would have been a GO.

and nether were there.

13 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

From what I can put togther, this would have been a special under a GO. I was right. This would have been a GO job for the TO Nova said they know.

GOs are not just construction, but effectively anything that can result in a change of service. Hence what GO is short for is “General Order”.

because the train is not part of our normal road fleet (yet) it would have to operate under a GO. All museum train rides, be they the actual Nostalgia Trains the Museum runs itself or the holiday in service specials… those occur under the authority of GOs. 

For another example… there is a GO on Monday on the J… that you would not know hide nor hair about unless one of us with access to the GO database told you about it … because it’s for NYPD training on the closed Bowery and Canal platforms.

if this was the start of the 30 day test, it would have had a bulletin. If they were running as a special train, there would have been a GO.

and nether were there.

So it was a hoax then…

15 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

and nether were there.

Follow-up question, so does it follow the A train schedule or does it operate under a different timetable/schedule and merely inserted in between scheduled trains? If scheduled to go in at 2PM and be out by 9PM, would that be the same routine that normally scheduled A train would do?

Sorry if my question isn't clear, I can try to elaborate.

14 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

In this circumstance, if it was to make station stops and just, be in service, it would have probably been an "Extra" train, outside the normal timetable. If i had to hazard a guess, they would have had more than one crew aboard to run the train back without overdoing it. 

I think it would make sense it runs as an extra train since its in its 30-day test but i dont know for sure

7 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

If people can afford to do it, why do you care?

Their time. Their choice. 

(I love freelancing lol. Theres a level of privilege ill never give up)

What do you mean by ""if people can afford it?"   

This goes to all you schoolers: Does it mean you can afford to lose classroom instruction?  Does your guardian (mommy/daddy/grandma/whoever) know you're cutting class?  

As a taxpayer whose taxes goes to YOUR classroom instruction, I want you and everyone else present for all your classes.  No cutting class!  You can ride the train after school!

Aspects of the railfan community that I despise, and there are numerous, is this insistence in taking unconfirmed information as absolute truths. I've always been a naturally inquisitive person, so the gullible are among those who tick me off pretty bad. These "events" attract a lot of weird ass people who are pronounced enough in their ways that's led me to create a pact with myself to downright refuse attending these things. I'm not convinced that the R211s were going to run today at all, nor did I believe there were any plans to do so today either. When I see those trains in passengers service with my own eyes, then I'll check them out. Until then, I'm not going to sweat a hypothetical. I actually wish this thing were done at complete random so the odds are even amongst anyone seeing it, but only time will tell. One thing is clear, and that's me seeking out that train long after it's inaugural run. I like my personal space, lol.

There was nothing but R179s and R46s at 207 St today or along the 8 Av and Fulton St line. The R211 was nothing but emptiness on the platforms but at the yard, itself. Only thing was that either T/O's and C/R's asked was, "Am I on Youtube?" 

41 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Aspects of the railfan community that I despise, and there are numerous, is this insistence in taking unconfirmed information as absolute truths. I've always been a naturally inquisitive person, so the gullible are among those who tick me off pretty bad. These "events" attract a lot of weird ass people who are pronounced enough in their ways that's led me to create a pact with myself to downright refuse attending these things. I'm not convinced that the R211s were going to run today at all, nor did I believe there were any plans to do so today either. When I see those trains in passengers service with my own eyes, then I'll check them out. Until then, I'm not going to sweat a hypothetical. I actually wish this thing were done at complete random so the odds are even amongst anyone seeing it, but only time will tell. One thing is clear, and that's me seeking out that train long after it's inaugural run. I like my personal space, lol.

Yep, same here. I mean, that’s sort of what I did with the R110A and R110B trains, as well as when all of the production New Tech Trains first went into service. And with the R110A/B trains, I didn’t have any internet sites to guide me on how to find them. Thirty years ago, I had to rely on good ol’ Lady Luck to catch those trains. Though for a while in early 1994, she was pretty good to me with catching the R110A on the (2) at Burke Ave damn near every weekday morning at 7:15. There were those couple times the R110A (2) got rerouted via the (5) when I rode. And then there was that one time it actually ran as a (5) train. Going home or trying to catch the R110B on the  (A) was a different story, especially because I didn’t live anywhere near the (A), although I could take the (D) and transfer, of course. Though I gotta say that riding the R142 on the (2) years later really felt like a much different experience than riding the R110A. Maybe it’s because the R110A had those colorful, forward facing seats and speckled gray walls that weren’t retained on the R142 or any subsequent NTT’s. And the R142 had much quieter motors and rounder cab windows.

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

How can you consider it cancelled when it was not announced as official in the first place?  

Yesterday some dude on this site claimed it was going to run in service today and youse got ga ga about it that it was fact.

For the public it was not official I’m not a Foamer or public. Everything that happens in TA is not going to be public.The T/O was told a few hours before it was a no go

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

What do you mean by ""if people can afford it?"   

This goes to all you schoolers: Does it mean you can afford to lose classroom instruction?  Does your guardian (mommy/daddy/grandma/whoever) know you're cutting class?  

As a taxpayer whose taxes goes to YOUR classroom instruction, I want you and everyone else present for all your classes.  No cutting class!  You can ride the train after school!

Point taken. This is how we get people to stop subway surfing also.