R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Although, the ride had a bump on its case. He should've kept his mouth shut and not say anything about the person that passed from the incident. Anything that involves someone passing away is best to not be said and worse, if someone is haha reacting to that, it's a disgrace to bad behavior. 

Being on the internet saying whatever you want is not the same to commenting to person face to face. 

That's the hard and bitter truth, man.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Couldn't really hear the conductor on the intercom myself, but heard the other Dianne Thompson loud and clear.

By the way, the doors are quicker on the 211 than on the 160 Kawasaki where it is a bit slower. I even got two stickers from one of the conductors that did the special interval on the 3:51 (A) out of Mott.

Speaking of not hearing the conductor on the intercom, I still can't get over how muffled announcements are compared to the R179's. Especially with the PA ding, it's like it got corrupted uploading to the R211.

I would assume the reason the doors are quicker are most likely due to them being wider than any other B division train so they have to compensate.

3 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Speaking of not hearing the conductor on the intercom, I still can't get over how muffled announcements are compared to the R179's. Especially with the PA ding, it's like it got corrupted uploading to the R211.

I would assume the reason the doors are quicker are most likely due to them being wider than any other B division train so they have to compensate.

The difference with the R179, you don't get that slight delay when the C/R or T/O is announcing something or that you hear the static at the duration of the announcement being made. But, with better doors closing, trains can move quicker. With CBTC in the future, you'll have trains right behind each other in a continuous pattern. 

13 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That's the hard and bitter truth, man.

I understand and know it sounds harsh that I had edit to give a suggestion. It's just when you give out negative feedback, the respect you gain from people you know goes out the door. 

12 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

So the MTA can’t inform to the public about it because of some cringey lil kids that want to act up on the subway??? There should be laws implemented to limit foam activity

Three fights  On that train yesterday...

You are welcome.

4 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Those doors should have gotten the linear induction door motors that were used on one R142A set, while I don't blame them on using the Fuji door motors.

The bell for the public intercom on the 211 got updated. The announcements need to move faster on the 179 though; glad that the 211 got most of the 160 features (one of them playing the next announcement if the station information gets too long, like what happened when it entered 42 Street. They should just shorten that accessibility announcement there as well, including fixing the buttons as well).

I saw one (C) train conductor on the pair I got on earlier at 42 Street pressing the door closing button about four times at Canal Street-Holland Tunnel before it played.

5 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Three fights  On that train yesterday...

You are welcome.

I was thinking there were only two. Three is just unacceptable at this point.

I was fortunate to be able to ride the R211 inaugural from Hoyt Schermerhorn to the Rockaways and back, and here is my honest review:

What I liked:

- The rollsign; I was worried it'd be too bright, too dim, too pixelated, ect, but it ended up being quite clear from a distance despite my vision not being great.

- The lights on the doors, really nice feature and well implemented; they aren't too soft nor aggressive and also reflect off the metal nicely.

- I found the "standing seats" at the ends of the cars were decently comfortable and offer a good in-between if you want to lean but don't want to sit all the way down.

- The dark blue and yellow color pallet worked better than I expected actually seeing it in person; feel like it helps to even out the white and screens

- The in-car route information screens above the doors were nice, and high enough res you could actually read

- They moved the 2 interior overhead rolling screens closer to the center of the car, meaning it's a bit easier to see information if you're standing at the far end of the car

- Security Cameras

Things I didn't like/could be improved:

- There was noticeably less window which was especially noticeable in the above ground portion-less outdoor viewing and light. The windows with the exterior displays over them were tiny.

- The speakers/intercom was more muffled than I would've liked

- The information screens at either end of the car are not high res enough and can't fit basic station names like "Broad Channel" in one screen. Furthermore, since the font was max size, you couldn't see the bottoms of letters from many viewing angles so an "E" would look like an "F".

- The "leaning benches" at the ends of cars should've been extended basically all the way to the doors; if you had done that 2 skinnier people would both be able to share a leaning bench

- Noticeably lower amounts of seating/cars filling up faster. I don't think this is inherently a bad thing if the trade is wider doors, but I think the MTA should still make models that try and maximize seating space for lower ridership lines, whereas the R211s should run on crowded B-division lines like the (E) and (F)

- When waiting outdoors, the interior seems to get colder faster, maybe in part because of the wider doors.

Other notable things:

- This might be placebo, but the sides seemed particularly shiny, especially compared to the R179s and R188s when they entered service

- When coming down the tunnel of an underground, the headlights produce a "whiter" color than any of the current models

- To the human eye, the exterior rollsigns and screens appear as still images, but I think they must flicker really fast or smtg because I caught several still images of the front of the train where the roll sign appears to be completely off when it was on (as shown in an image below).

While I was not on the train during the fight, I gotta say I am disappointed in a lot of my fellow rail-fans, especially those around my age. Being excited is one thing, but being routy, shouting the n-word, and blatantly talking about other random passengers is just really bad subway etiquette and they should know better. One thing I was glad to see really for the first time in person is how diverse the larger transit community is, through the lens of age, race, gender, ect.

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

8 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

While I was not on the train during the fight, I gotta say I am disappointed in a lot of my fellow rail-fans, especially those around my age. Being excited is one thing, but being rowdy, shouting the n-word, and blatantly talking about other random passengers is just really bad subway etiquette and they should know better. One thing I was glad to see really for the first time in person is how diverse the larger transit community is, through the lens of age, race, gender, etc.

That is so true. I got off early at Harlem-145 Street before another fight happened.

Is anyone going to talk about the fact that the new "This is" FIND screen didn't show? Instead of showing transfers and elevators, and what car you are in, it behaved similar to the R160s. It did show in the mockup and in the R211T and I think i saw it during the R211's testing. Maybe they changed it or maybe the R211Ts have different programming.

Is anyone going to talk about the slightly different FIND map? When it approaches a station, instead of showing bigger transfers, elevators, and current train car, it behaves like the R160/R179 and shows "This is" followed by the station name and transfers in orange. This is not what we saw on the mockup nor on the R211T during that first ride. I also think I saw the new "This is" screen on the R211As during testing. Maybe they reprogrammed it? Anyone have any information on it?

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

R143/160/179:

A car - 40 to 42 seats

B car - 44 seats

R211:

All cars have 30 seats

That's a 25-33% decrease in seating capacity. Will definitely be noticeable. I think the big mistake with the r211A was not keeping corner seating. 

1 hour ago, U-BahnNYC said:

That's a 25-33% decrease in seating capacity. Will definitely be noticeable. I think the big mistake with the r211A was not keeping corner seating. 

I know we need to make trains accessible, but seriously.. when is the last time you've seen someone with a wheelchair or walker on the train? Most of the time I see them on the bus or access a ride.. I think all this extra accessibility is overkill..

54 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I know we need to make trains accessible, but seriously.. when is the last time you've seen someone with a wheelchair or walker on the train? Most of the time I see them on the bus or access a ride.. I think all this extra accessibility is overkill..

Gotta learn how to sit, just watch a DashieXP video and he’ll help you. 

In all seriousness, I think the no corner seats will actually be good in the long run, don’t know if it allows for more room, but knowing how things might go, the homeless would just take up the rows.

2 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

In all access, it has to do with the stations itself. All trains: R142, 142A, 143, 160A1, 160A2, R160B, 179-1, 179-2, 188 & 211s are wheelchair accessible but not too many subway stations are. Even though the MTA’s buses are 100% ADA, the rails themselves aren’t. Only the LIRR is about 86% and Metro North is 1/2 of that (New York State runs). The (MTA) needs to keep up with the ADA with elevator installments. 

3 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Its much more frequent then you think. I've had several walkers and wheelchairs on my trains in the last 2 weeks. Just be happy the damn trains don't beep at you every stop everytime the doors are open like the CTA 7k and MBTA CRRC cars lol

Edited by Jdog14

Few other details. One thing that planned for the future is the ceiling displays will be changed to include arrows that show which side the doors will be opening. 

As for the CCTV, the cameras are routed to onboard DVRs and will record 24/7 so long as there is power 

There is a forward facing camera in all A cars, which stores 10 days of footage. There are two cameras in the cab with store 30 days of footage.

and in the passenger compartments of all cars there are multiple cameras that store for 97 days. Meaning we can look at the footage from yesterdays fights well into June.

Yes, you, the passengers, can not see the footage, but the crews can with a key turn and a few button presses. 

So behave yourselves… you never know if one of us is watching you…

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Few other details. One thing that planned for the future is the ceiling displays will be changed to include arrows that show which side the doors will be opening. 

As for the CCTV, the cameras are routed to onboard DVRs and will record 24/7 so long as there is power 

There is a forward facing camera in all A cars, which stores 10 days of footage. There are two cameras in the cab with store 30 days of footage.

and in the passenger compartments of all cars there are multiple cameras that store for 97 days. Meaning we can look at the footage from yesterdays fights well into June.

Yes, you, the passengers, can not see the footage, but the crews can with a key turn and a few button presses. 

So behave yourselves… you never know if one of us is watching you…

During it's testing, it showed what side the doors will open on. What happened to it? Doors open signage shown here:

https://youtu.be/de-p8CEPlow