R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The fact it's literally like a 10 year old's channel makes it more likely it's not a troll video cause very few 10 year olds have the capacity to plan to take footage months in advanced for the chance the R211 goes out of service for an extended period of time to post later and trick people. However, as someone else pointed out above this doesn't meant the R211 is back in full regular service, but at least they're running it again.

One thing that does seem strange is man is wearing a full on puffer jacket in 70+ degree weather (assuming the video was taken today).

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, foggymetro said:

Maybe. It still needs to be in service quickly so that the remaining R211As can come in and replace these R46s.

I understand how frustrating it is for subway service to be constantly delayed due to the r46's constantly breaking down.

However, we don't want a repeat of what happened with the r179's in 2020. Therefore, it is crucial that the MTA and Kawasaki fix the issues on the r211's.

At this point, all we can do is be patient and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I don't think so, it's still sitting at Pitkin Yard. If the comments are turned off and is said to be back today, something is wrong. Like anchovies on a pizza pie. 

Pause the video at 1:05, the PACIS sign has an April date on it. The train isn't running, when it returns to revenue service I'm sure all of us will know about it.

7 hours ago, foggymetro said:

Maybe. It still needs to be in service quickly so that the remaining R211As can come in and replace these R46s.

It's going to be a good while for the R46s to go

FHA just gave NY the green light for congestion pricing, Now all they have to do is vote on it and could start as early as next year. It wouldn't make sense to scrap anything that's currently in service until there's enough R211s where the (C) is full length and the (G) has more than enough cars to have longer trains.

Y'all gotta stop with this "The R46s need to go right now bullshit" The (MTA) caved and got rid of the R32s (Pandemic, crew shortages and lower ridership played a part besides complaints) I don't think it'll be a great idea to even retire any R46s. The issue with the R46s is just the lack of spares hence why their reliability took  a hit. R46s will eventually retire as more R211s are delivered overtime.

Also Since congestion pricing would likely pass, I would expect Option II to be approved.

Edited by R32 3838

Yes. R46s are performing badly, but as we have nothing to replace them with, and the fact that we are already short on rolling stock signifies that the R46 should not and will not begin retirement until many production sets are here and we already have sufficient service everywhere else.

Makes sense. I think they would start retiring when about 10-12 10 car sets are here. We aren't even close to there yet, so let's just figure out when it's gonna come back, like [literally almost, or about half of] everyone said, be patient, and whenever we get news, we show it here. I would be surprised if an R46 set retires this early, even though it shouldn't. 

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

FHA just gave NY the green light for congestion pricing, Now all they have to do is vote on it and could start as early as next year. It wouldn't make sense to scrap anything that's currently in service until there's enough R211s where the (C) is full length and the (G) has more than enough cars to have longer trains.

Y'all gotta stop with this "The R46s need to go right now bullshit" The (MTA) caved and got rid of the R32s (Pandemic, crew shortages and lower ridership played a part besides complaints) I don't think it'll be a great idea to even retire any R46s. The issue with the R46s is just the lack of spares hence why their reliability took  a hit. R46s will eventually retire as more R211s are delivered overtime.

Also Since congestion pricing would likely pass, I would expect Option II to be approved.

Same here, It's [I'm not so sure about this coming statement, so don't start coming at me. Remember, I live near PHILLY, not near or in NYC] kind of like the R160 orders, but with only 1 rail company making ALL THESE CARS. We don't know when it's gonna be approved or if it is.

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

Makes sense. I think they would start retiring when about 10-12 10 car sets are here. We aren't even close to there yet, so let's just figure out when it's gonna come back, like [literally almost, or about half of] everyone said, be patient, and whenever we get news, we show it here. I would be surprised if an R46 set retires this early, even though it shouldn't. 

Same here, It's [I'm not so sure about this coming statement, so don't start coming at me. Remember, I live near PHILLY, not near or in NYC] kind of like the R160 orders, but with only 1 rail company making ALL THESE CARS. We don't know when it's gonna be approved or if it is.

It should have really been dual orders split between Alstom and Kawasaki and not all given to one. 

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

R211 option 2 will likely be R211T's, The (G)(N)(B)(C) is about to see weekday service increases next year, and (C)(N) will see increase of weekend service, they need to make sure they have enough cars for 2024.

Edited by JayJay85

17 minutes ago, JayJay85 said:

R211 option 2 will likely be R211T's, The (G)(N)(B)(C) is about to see weekday service increases next year, and (C)(N) will see increase of weekend service, they need to make sure they have enough cars for 2024.

T’s are not for sure as the MTA says they cost more than the A’s.

33 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

It should have really been dual orders split between Alstom and Kawasaki and not all given to one. 

That's what I'm saying. Why give it to only 1 company if you can put Alstom or another company that isn't Bombardier into play?

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Someone a while back posted an explanation noting that while it would have seemed logical to keep a small amount of R-32s for spare factor / contingency service, there is overall a greater effort required with having more train cars to service versus a smaller spare factor; Meaning equipment can be worked on + placed back into service quicker if there's overall less trainsets to maintain. 

Also spotted an R-46 set along the A yesterday with new LED interior lighting (along with a bunch of R-68/As). Did not catch any numbers as it passed me going the other way, however quite interesting if more Pitkin's R-46 receive any type of upgrade with their foreseen retirement.

15 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

Someone a while back posted an explanation noting that while it would have seemed logical to keep a small amount of R-32s for spare factor / contingency service, there is overall a greater effort required with having more train cars to service versus a smaller spare factor; Meaning equipment can be worked on + placed back into service quicker if there's overall less trainsets to maintain. 

Also spotted an R-46 set along the A yesterday with new LED interior lighting (along with a bunch of R-68/As). Did not catch any numbers as it passed me going the other way, however quite interesting if more Pitkin's R-46 receive any type of upgrade with their foreseen retirement.

I think the R46’s should be left alone, they’ll be replaced soon, the R68A’s should be the ones given this treatment

16 hours ago, foggymetro said:

No.  It needs to be in service once all the defects are repaired and NYCT's New Car Engineering as well as the techs from Kawasaki are satisfied that the train is road worthy.

We do not want another R179 situation in which the fleet is in service than taken out several times.  You must be patient.  

I feel like this thread has been repeating the same thing for the past 10+ pages.

The R46’s will stay here until the R211A’s are ready.

Those of you that keep bumping the thread are making it seem like there’s an important update like the pilot coming back in service, except it’s constant “retire R46 this, R211 to this line that” like come on people. I’m sure Bill is getting tired of repeating themselves over and over.

Edited by Lawrence St

4 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

What people are mistaking for LED might just be regular fluorescent bulbs with a different color temperature.

The bulbs are replaced when they go out otherwise the cars would be dark or no lighting at all. 

The MTA has been replacing fluorescent tubes in cars with LED replacements as the burn out. 

7 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

The bulbs are replaced when they go out otherwise the cars would be dark or no lighting at all. 

I have seen some very, very dark cars on the (A). I do hope they are upgrading the lighting because it makes the ride experience much more pleasant. However, I see no correlation between replaced lighting and R211 delivery, except that the R46s are not retiring immediately, which I think we were all aware of to begin with.

SI Live article on the Staten Island R211s, revenue service is expected by the end of the year according to the article. For those who are wondering, yes the SI R211s will have to do an 30 day test as well. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2023/05/first-new-staten-island-railway-cars-arrive-in-nyc-heres-what-riders-can-expect.html?outputType=amp

Edited by trainfan22

26 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

SI Live article on the Staten Island R211s, revenue service is expected by the end of the year according to the article. For those who are wondering, yes the SI R211s will have to do an 30 day test as well. 

https://www.silive.com/news/2023/05/first-new-staten-island-railway-cars-arrive-in-nyc-heres-what-riders-can-expect.html?outputType=amp

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They should’ve shown the new R211S cars that were delivered, not the construction of it

11 hours ago, JayJay85 said:

Also, the 3, D, J will see service increases as well.

In terms of what would option 2 be, it will depend on how testing goes with the r211Ts.

Option 1 should definitely be used to make the C full length and make the B, D, 100% NTTs either directly or indirectly.

8th Avenue CBTC should not be activated until option 1 trains are in service.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:08 PM, JayJay85 said:

I agreed with you bro, The MTA should of put the r46's on the (B) now on weekdays so they wont be used too often on 24/7 lines like (A)(N)(Q) lines.

Putting them on the (B) doesn’t solve anything, but eliminate sign changes at Brighton Beach. There’s more R46’s than R68/68A’s so each R46 will run 24/7 in rotation.