R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I have video proof, but the thing is, they’re wrapped. I can tell it’s 4090-94. Or maybe I’m wrong. This was from June 20th. Credit to the person cuz that sure ain’t me.

Nah the set that was there Thursday wasn’t covered and it was the full 5 cars. Unless they somehow returned 1 car and covered it 

24 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

That must be 4095-4099.

17 minutes ago, Ract said:

Nah the set that was there Thursday wasn’t covered and it was the full 5 cars. Unless they somehow returned 1 car and covered it 

Ok, thanks the both of you. I thought it was 4090-94. Maybe RedLine was right after all.

Caught the R211 on my way to work the other day. Overall I really like the direction of the design, but it really feels unpolished and I really hope they improve it for the R262/268.

First, the windows. They're pathetically small and remind me a lot of the R32 windows. I know it's to accommodate the wider doors, but it really sucks and I'm not sure if there are solutions other than plug doors or building the door compartment out of glass. Speaking of the doors, why aren't the windows bigger to fit the door? Someone here said that it's the same as the R160 windows to make replacements more readily available, but I feel like they could've gone with R142 door windows, which are also bigger.

Cutting the seats down from 6 to 5 is fine, but I wish they extended the seats by a few inches up to the door frame so it wouldn't be as tight of a squeeze like all our current subways and buses.

The ride was anything but smooth. The car bounced a lot, though I rode it from 42nd St to Fulton St, and I don't know if that section of the express is bouncy for all car types. Personally, the bounciness makes the ride more fun, but definitely not for the average passenger.

And of course, the rollsign displays. They're just not high resolution enough, and getting high-res screens was clearly not a problem if they were able to give it to all the FINDs and ad panels. 

Just my first impressions, I still think these are really cool trains. Really excited to see more of these hit the tracks.

The MTA doesn't realize no matter how wide the doors are even plug doors aren't going to help the time the trains spend at busy stations people just hold the wider doors. It was a waste making the doors wider and lost of seats huge fail I swear I hope the r268 doors are not 58 inches

Edited by 1998NewFlyer

41 minutes ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

The MTA doesn't realize no matter how wide the doors are even plug doors aren't going to help the time the trains spend at busy stations people just hold the wider doors. It was a waste making the doors wider and lost of seats huge fail I swear I hope the r268 doors are not 58 inches

The MTA makes money off ppl who stand up. They just might eliminate the seats all together on the R268s making all cars all standees 

8 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

@RSMG106 last month, you reported that 4090-94 was 'silently delivered'. Did you or anyone else actually see the numbers with their own eyes, or was it just an OCD-based assumption?

It wasn't delivered at the time of that post. Yesterday evening, they did arrive at SBR.

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

The MTA makes money off ppl who stand up. They just might eliminate the seats all together on the R268s making all cars all standees 

Lol "makes money"

The subways haven't made money since December 1941 iirc

I rode R211 4060 yesterday on the (A), and I like the train. Evereything looks good. The LED screen looks nice, the added features for wheechair accessibility were a good addition as well. The info screens were my favorite part. It actually showed the program for the (A) being re-rerouted via the (F) in weekday mode, it showed transfers for the (W) at 42nd Street on the screen as well as the (Z) at Fulton Street. The train ride was calm and relaxing too. Looking forward to more R211s being on the rails. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

7 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I rode R211 4060 yesterday on the (A), and I like the train. Evereything looks good. The LED screen looks nice, the added features for wheechair accessibility were a good addition as well. The info screens were my favorite part. It actually showed the program for the (A) being re-rerouted via the (F) in weekday mode, it showed transfers for the (W) at 42nd Street on the screen as well as the (Z) at Fulton Street. The train ride was calm and relaxing too. Looking forward to more R211s being on the rails. 

Well that’s good to hear. I also look forward to riding it. Planning to go to NYC and catch the A to the NYTM soon and when I do, hopefully that train could be one of those two sets that are in the service.

11 minutes ago, Reptile said:

Is there any expected time for the third train to enter service?

2 more trains should be entering into service this month but my guess is there are still not enough crews qualified to operate them so they might be on hold until further notice.

27 minutes ago, djtoro7 said:

2 more trains should be entering into service this month but my guess is there are still not enough crews qualified to operate them so they might be on hold until further notice.

I guess the MTA is gonna have to get crews from other lines (and are open minded) to operate the r211's, while those crews who refuse to get qualified should be sent to operate the NQW trains.

Why is it so hard for train crews and rail fans to understand that old subway cars are not going to last forever??

As for the cameras, it's for their own safety and if they are doing what they suppose to be doing, then they should not be worried about the cameras.

10 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I guess the MTA is gonna have to get crews from other lines (and are open minded) to operate the r211's, while those crews who refuse to get qualified should be sent to operate the NQW trains.

Why is it so hard for train crews and rail fans to understand that old subway cars are not going to last forever??

As for the cameras, it's for their own safety and if they are doing what they suppose to be doing, then they should not be worried about the cameras.

Do you work for the NYCT? No, so you shouldn't be telling people with 20+ years in the field why they refuse to understand why they don't like operating new stuff.

24 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They either work for the MTA of they get fired

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do you work for the NYCT? No, so you shouldn't be telling people with 20+ years in the field why they refuse to understand why they don't like operating new stuff.

FYI!!! Trains don't drive by themselves. 

Do you think subway riders are going to be happy about train crews refusing to operate new subway cars??

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That is not the reason why they refuse to get qualified on the R211's. It's mainly because of the cameras in the cabs. A good chunk of NYCT workers do not like the old equipment. 

4 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

That is not the reason why they refuse to get qualified on the R211's. It's mainly because of the cameras in the cabs. A good chunk of NYCT workers do not like the old equipment. 

Guess they don’t want to be constantly watched by supervision.

maybe have a way to disable the cameras in the cabs that the t/o and c/r have so that they have their privacy and keep the unused ones on to prevent any subway conquestors from breaking In.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Guess they don’t want to be constantly watched by supervision.

maybe have a way to disable the cameras in the cabs that the t/o and c/r have so that they have their privacy and keep the unused ones on to prevent any subway conquestors from breaking In.

If shit hits the fan mid-run, I’m pretty sure management and/or the general public is not going to be happy if you told them the cameras in the operational cabs are out of service for privacy reasons. The railroads have cameras in their operating cabs (save for probably the M3’s) and those are held to higher standards due to federal regulations. Whether you like it or not, the cameras are in place to protect everyone and give the full unbiased view should an incident happen. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

If they're complying with their job duties, then they should have nothing to worry about in regards to cameras.

I'm assuming that all  cameras on the r211's will be used to keep every one safe including crews.

Subway cars are target for conquering, vandalism, crime and terrorism.

Wherever people work (whether it's a school, a hospital, a restaurant, etc), there are going to be surrounded by cameras everywhere in the workplace.