R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

It’s a backup method to cut out and isolate a car. To my knowledge we only actually supposed to use it without express permission.

kills power to the door motors without throwing the breakers.

So then how do you guys do short platforms then? (If you had any). Like with the 211’s on SI, how do they isolate 2 cars?

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So then how do you guys do short platforms then? (If you had any). Like with the 211’s on SI, how do they isolate 2 cars?

usually if you have to isolate more than one car that train is going out of service as the dwell times become unbearable and will plug up the road real bad

Pardon my ignorance, but why does an issue as minor as the station announcements/FIND system warrant pulling all R211 (minus pilot). Seems like a massive overreaction. They can fix one at a time and have conductors do the old fashioned announcements in the meantime, not like they're doing all that much anyway.

16 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why does an issue as minor as the station announcements/FIND system warrant pulling all R211 (minus pilot). Seems like a massive overreaction. They can fix one at a time and have conductors do the old fashioned announcements in the meantime, not like they're doing all that much anyway.

there's more issues with them than just the announcements.

41 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

That was not the reason why they were all pulled from service.

The gearboxes on cars 4070 and up have been leaking out oil, causing the trucks to develop massive, severe flat spots. 4060-4069 have the original R160 trucks and those are unaffected. 4070 and up have a new truck design.

Edited by Cait Sith

11 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The gearboxes on cars 4070 and up have been leaking out oil, causing the trucks to develop massive, severe flat spots. 4060-4069 have the original R160 trucks and those are unaffected. 4070 and up have a new truck design.

Original R160 trucks? Can you elaborate?

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

This is what I was alluding to in my posts a page or two ago.  That flat spot did not seem normal on that video.  It was not just a normal wheel slide or BIE or leaves.  There was a production problem and now it has to be fixed

And they broke the testing rules that we follow in IT.  They tested the pilot set with different trucks than the production cars and the production trucks caused problems.  In audited IT work nothing goes in without testing.  People would get fired for breaking the protocol.  You would think the production trucks would be thoroughly tested because they contain a large amount of moving parts and carry the weight.  And there's history too, the R46 fiasco. 

Edited by zacster

Things like this is why i'm glad they didn't retire a mass amount of R46s yet, they were starting to ride better again since the R211s entered service. thankfully those R160s on the (C) help with the spare factor of R46s so this won't affect the R46s as much as before.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Things like this is why i'm glad they didn't retire a mass amount of R46s yet, they were starting to ride better again since the R211s entered service. thankfully those R160s on the (C) help with the spare factor of R46s so this won't affect the R46s as much as before.

the R46’s won’t be retiring anytime soon, They will be OOS just when there’s enough and stable R211’s in service they will be put into long storage like the R32’s were. 

Whoah whoah, nobody said a thing until this point about this being a major flaw with the trucks? If that's the case, then this is very bad, worse even than the R179s.

With the sluggish pace everything has been going it wouldn't surprise me if the R211s are grounded until well into 2024.

Edited by U-BahnNYC

3 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Whoah whoah, nobody said a thing until this point about this being a major flaw with the trucks? If that's the case, then this is very bad, worse even than the R179s.

With the sluggish pace everything has been going it wouldn't surprise me if the R211s are grounded until well into 2024.

I dunno I think link bar separation while in service is worse than leaky gearboxes