75 State-of-the-Art MTA Buses To Hit the Streets in Queens

SevenEleven

Since I'm done with civil war and I have spare time, might as well get a catch one of these new buses. Anything to note with the rides besides the USBs, new smell and WiFi before I catch one?

This thing is turning some heads lol.

UPDATE: And there's a news reporter on the bus now....

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I can't wait to ride the XD60's. I only rode the XD40 on the Q56 from Jamaica Av/170 St to Broadway Junction (A)(J)(Z)(L) about 2 or 3 months back. On that day, I was going to take the Q24 and I waited almost 30 minutes and not one XD40 showed up. Instead, I saw few Orion VII and I said to myself that if the next bus is not the XD40, then I will just take the Q56 instead and the XD40 popup on the Q56. Till this day, I never got a chance to ride the XD60 yet and I was thinking about taking the (A) to Lefferts Blvd and wait for the Q10 to Kew Gardens. But now, since I hear that one of the XD60's is the Q111 and the rest of the XD60's are out on the streets at the selected depots, I will wait patiently and catch it one day. Whenever I head out, I will be on the hunt for the XD60 and I will be using my itouch to take pictures or record and hopefully do a full route soon.

5394 on the Q113.....

If anyone cares to catch it now, it is currently in Far Rockaway I believe, but I'd wait around brewer just in case you aren't that close.

I'll see if I can catch pics of it at Farmers and Guy Brewer...

I don't see it on Bustime... Did it leave yet ?

5394 on the Q113.....

If anyone cares to catch it now, it is currently in Far Rockaway I believe, but I'd wait around brewer just in case you aren't that close.

I'm not going to leave my apartment on time. lol

Screenshot_2016-05-18-15-34-08_zpstdemyc

I'll see if I can catch pics of it at Farmers and Guy Brewer...

I don't see it on Bustime... Did it leave yet ?

Right now #5394 is on the Q114 LTD according to bus time. Right now the bus is about to turn on 147th Av to Jamaica.

Just got off the Q114 and tried out the new features. The USBs kind of suck ass, but the WiFi.... different story.

Let's just say if you are in an area like Flushing and Jamaica, by the time these buses control the system, you can just be walking in the pedestrian area and not ruin your data plan.

5392 is on the Far Rockaway bound Q114. 5394 is about to pull out of BP. There was another one behind me on the Q111. Didn't get the bus number.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

5392 is on the Far Rockaway bound Q114. 5394 is about to pull out of BP. There was another one behind me on the Q111. Didn't get the bus number. All on Guy Brewer...

XD60 #5401 is on the Q111.

Screenshot_2016-05-19-01-50-05_zpshjf6em

Maybe that was the bus that was behind me heading north on Brewer.....,

5392 is on the Far Rockaway bound Q114. 5394 is about to pull out of BP. There was another one behind me on the Q111. Didn't get the bus number.

Maybe that was the bus that was behind me heading north on Brewer.....,

Yup.

Screenshot_2016-05-19-08-04-37_zpsbygo8k

Alright, so I saw the XD60 #5392 on MTA Bus Time on the Q114 LTD Far Rockaway bound and It was at Mott Av. I had enough time to leave my apartment and catch it. However, the bus disappeared on MTA Bus Time and I waited a little while for it to come. Suddenly, it came but it was not in service. lol So this morning was not my luck but I will do a full on board video on either route(Q113 LTD or Q114 LTD) when I ride the XD60.

XD60%205392_zpsojxzwkvj.jpgXD60%205392%202_zpsjn2abtmd.jpgXD60%205392%203_zpsvjeanvn4.jpg

This article relates to this thread. From the New York Post Article: "If MTA's new buses are the future, we're all doomed"

The MTA rolled out seven new buses on Wednesday — complete with Wi-Fi, USB charging ports and an upgraded design. They are the first of 75 slated to debut this summer. Officials hope to have more than 2,000 new buses around the Big Apple by 2021, ultimately replacing 40 percent of the current fleet. The Post’s Elizabeth Rosner took a spin in one of the millennial-friendly vehicles. Gov. Cuomo says the new high-tech MTA buses are supposed to take New Yorkers into the 21st century, but they feel more like a blast from the past — and not in a good way. Stepping onto one of the Wi-Fi- and USB-equipped city vehicles, I embarked on a journey that seemed a whole lot more 2005 than state-of-the-art. Sure, I got that new-car smell for about 10 seconds as I boarded the articulated blue and yellow whip, but by the time I made it to the back, it smelled like . . . a bus . . . in Queens. Nevertheless, I should have known things would be bad from the start. After being greeted at the bus stop by two MTA workers holding iPads, my ride began like most public-transportation trips do — with a 15 minute delay. When our chariot finally arrived, about 30 of us piled in, expecting to enter a futuristic world straight out of The Jetsons. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The first flaw I noticed, right off the bat, was a fancy tablet located in the front of the bus next to the exit door. But instead of displaying something useful, such as the bus schedule or arrival times, all it says is, “To open door manually-break cover pull handle” — making the gadget a complete waste of money that will likely cause passenger congestion during rush hour. The next problem I found was that while my Wi-Fi did connect automatically, it was nowhere near as fast as my 6G cell connection or the Internet I use at home or work. I could also see the signal slowing down in the coming months, as more and more people begin using the network. The thing I was most excited about was the USB outlets for phone chargers, but I soon realized you need to be an NBA player to use them while sitting down. The ports are located on the ceiling, making it difficult for short people like myself to reach. God only knows what would happen if I needed to give my iPhone some juice while the bus was moving. After plopping down in my seat, I found a few more flaws. The seats could have used a comfort upgrade, the bus driver was inaudible (so that hasn’t changed a bit) and the ride was really bumpy. Perhaps Cuomo would have been less excited about his ritzy new rides if he had actually done some field-testing himself.

Source: http://nypost.com/2016/05/19/if-mtas-new-buses-are-the-future-were-all-doomed/

This article relates to this thread. From the New York Post Article: "If MTA's new buses are the future, we're all doomed"

The MTA rolled out seven new buses on Wednesday — complete with Wi-Fi, USB charging ports and an upgraded design. They are the first of 75 slated to debut this summer. Officials hope to have more than 2,000 new buses around the Big Apple by 2021, ultimately replacing 40 percent of the current fleet. The Post’s Elizabeth Rosner took a spin in one of the millennial-friendly vehicles. Gov. Cuomo says the new high-tech MTA buses are supposed to take New Yorkers into the 21st century, but they feel more like a blast from the past — and not in a good way. Stepping onto one of the Wi-Fi- and USB-equipped city vehicles, I embarked on a journey that seemed a whole lot more 2005 than state-of-the-art. Sure, I got that new-car smell for about 10 seconds as I boarded the articulated blue and yellow whip, but by the time I made it to the back, it smelled like . . . a bus . . . in Queens. Nevertheless, I should have known things would be bad from the start. After being greeted at the bus stop by two MTA workers holding iPads, my ride began like most public-transportation trips do — with a 15 minute delay. When our chariot finally arrived, about 30 of us piled in, expecting to enter a futuristic world straight out of The Jetsons. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The first flaw I noticed, right off the bat, was a fancy tablet located in the front of the bus next to the exit door. But instead of displaying something useful, such as the bus schedule or arrival times, all it says is, “To open door manually-break cover pull handle” — making the gadget a complete waste of money that will likely cause passenger congestion during rush hour. The next problem I found was that while my Wi-Fi did connect automatically, it was nowhere near as fast as my 6G cell connection or the Internet I use at home or work. I could also see the signal slowing down in the coming months, as more and more people begin using the network. The thing I was most excited about was the USB outlets for phone chargers, but I soon realized you need to be an NBA player to use them while sitting down. The ports are located on the ceiling, making it difficult for short people like myself to reach. God only knows what would happen if I needed to give my iPhone some juice while the bus was moving. After plopping down in my seat, I found a few more flaws. The seats could have used a comfort upgrade, the bus driver was inaudible (so that hasn’t changed a bit) and the ride was really bumpy. Perhaps Cuomo would have been less excited about his ritzy new rides if he had actually done some field-testing himself.

Source: http://nypost.com/2016/05/19/if-mtas-new-buses-are-the-future-were-all-doomed/

She is acting like the MTA actually would be a bus of the future. Besides the display information that were said to enter the bus, her words are nearly pointless to me. 

Also, just to be fair, I just went over my plan, causing a slow load time as a result. The wifi helped me upload some YT videos in 3 minutes when with my 4G, it takes me 1 hr to post a video. Point is that not everyone is her and not everyone is even lucky to even have a plan on their phone.

I would rather trust an evaluation from a poster on this website to be far more accurate than any reporter working for either an online or print source. 

My opinion of the article is that she was just assigned a story to do and has no real experience in riding a NYC bus or understands the history of the system either. The reporter seems to be too involved with the technology and not in the other things that those of us who ride buses (and have rode them) appreciated over the years.

As far as the references to Cuomo as governor, I think that we should get used to the name of Kathy Hochul, the lieutenant governor as she is next in line and could be holding the top position sometime in the future. 

Archived