75 State-of-the-Art MTA Buses To Hit the Streets in Queens

SevenEleven

The first flaw I noticed, right off the bat, was a fancy tablet located in the front of the bus next to the exit door. But instead of displaying something useful, such as the bus schedule or arrival times, all it says is, “To open door manually-break cover pull handle” — making the gadget a complete waste of money that will likely cause passenger congestion during rush hour. 

What a moron. I know I shouldn't expect better from the Post, but they actually allow idiots like this who've never taken the bus in their lives to do articles like this? She thinks an essentially safety device is "a waste of money" and, almost worse, "a gadget." My head hurts at stupidity like this. 

I would rather trust an evaluation from a poster on this website to be far more accurate than any reporter working for either an online or print source. 

My opinion of the article is that she was just assigned a story to do and has no real experience in riding a NYC bus or understands the history of the system either. The reporter seems to be too involved with the technology and not in the other things that those of us who ride buses (and have rode them) appreciated over the years.

As far as the references to Cuomo as governor, I think that we should get used to the name of Kathy Hochul, the lieutenant governor as she is next in line and could be holding the top position sometime in the future. 

Very apparent she is not a regular user by what MHV points out below:

What a moron. I know I shouldn't expect better from the Post, but they actually allow idiots like this who've never taken the bus in their lives to do articles like this? She thinks an essentially safety device is "a waste of money" and, almost worse, "a gadget." My head hurts at stupidity like this. 

If she knew anything, that emergency release is on all buses, and New Flyers have it in that location (even on those old HFs if I remember correctly).

I'd be more worried about information gathering over the WiFi than anything.  The "streetside" free WiFi (through the City itself) has been purposely vague on what snooping goes on/what happens to that info, that I think the ACLU was on the cusp of filing a lawsuit because of that.

Alright guys, I just finnish filming the XD60 #5392 full route on the Q114 LTD. I am on the Q113 LTD now heading home. I will upload the video in a couple of hours.The XD60 #5392 is on the Q111 now.

Are the USB ports really on the ceiling?

Not on the ceiling per se, more like next to the lights...it's above the seats.

I rode it the other day just to try it out, and I'm not all that impressed.

13230250_10208222199547020_3670586490153

Your best place to charge your device is in the back of the buson the upper level. A shorter reach compared to the lower level, I charged my phone while I had it on my lap and my wire is standard size. If you're on the lower level, I advise you to use the wheelchair seats, as the outlets are under the middle seat. If you have to charge your phone on the lower level, you're better off like standing.

Very apparent she is not a regular user by what MHV points out below:

If she knew anything, that emergency release is on all buses, and New Flyers have it in that location (even on those old HFs if I remember correctly).

I'd be more worried about information gathering over the WiFi than anything.  The "streetside" free WiFi (through the City itself) has been purposely vague on what snooping goes on/what happens to that info, that I think the ACLU was on the cusp of filing a lawsuit because of that.

It's not as if MTA or NYC are forcing you to use the wi-fi though. You accept the terms and conditions like with every other public wi-fi on the planet, from the ones at airports to the ones at libraries and shopping malls. In this age nothing is "free"; Google Traffic and Waze only work by tracking the movement speed of phones, for example.

If you don't like it, use your data plan. People can live without free public wi-fi if they don't like its ramifications, just like everyone else did up until a few months ago.

With regards to the comments about the placement of the USB charging outlets, there are only so many places on a bus you can mount this type of stuff and run the wiring needed. For comparison, Mississauga Transit in Ontario has had their MiExpress New Flyer D60LFR and Orion VII BRTs equipped with reading lights and charging outlets for a few years now (plugs but still a power source). On the D60LFR buses the plugs are mounted to the bottom of the ad panels along with reading lights. See grey covers in the photo attached.

The Orion VII BRTs have the charging outlets mounted along the bottom on the heating dust covers. This placement is better in a way for access but the catch is you have to know they're there to really notice them.

Given that it looks like MTA wanted to have USB outlets available at as many seats as possible it looks like the way they have it was the only way feasible.

D60LFR, note grey covers along bottom of adrack

D60_LFR_reading_lights.jpg

Orion VII BRT. Power outlet in a more desirable location (near seat bottom along sidewall) but people often don't notice them at first. Also allows for the reading lights to be mounted to bottom of adracks like the D60LFR.

5893149282_7d4b60ce80_b.jpg

VII_interior_Mi_Way.jpg

Are the USB ports really on the ceiling?

Yes but no on the highest part of it but still When I was in the back seats my cord was too short to even hold y phone vertically.

Plus the wifi sucks subway wifi is 10x better

Yes. 5408 is there temporary.

Right now 5364-5365 are at the paint shop.

You have some current buses from JFK that doesn't have the blue and gold sceme.

When I was on th Q10 yesterday I was 2 XD60's out of scheme 

With regards to the comments about the placement of the USB charging outlets, there are only so many places on a bus you can mount this type of stuff and run the wiring needed. For comparison, Mississauga Transit in Ontario has had their MiExpress New Flyer D60LFR and Orion VII BRTs equipped with reading lights and charging outlets for a few years now (plugs but still a power source). On the D60LFR buses the plugs are mounted to the bottom of the ad panels along with reading lights. See grey covers in the photo attached.

The Orion VII BRTs have the charging outlets mounted along the bottom on the heating dust covers. This placement is better in a way for access but the catch is you have to know they're there to really notice them.

Given that it looks like MTA wanted to have USB outlets available at as many seats as possible it looks like the way they have it was the only way feasible.

D60LFR, note grey covers along bottom of adrack

Orion VII BRT. Power outlet in a more desirable location (near seat bottom along sidewall) but people often don't notice them at first. Also allows for the reading lights to be mounted to bottom of adracks like the D60LFR.

(pics removed for quoting purposes)

Finding this quite interesting:

BRT, with all the hopes that longer-distance commuters will ride, has reading lights (something more apt for use on commuter coaches/Greyhound), and yet use city bus seating instead of coach-style seating ("suburban" seating).

Nice to see them using the stainless-vandal resistant, OTOH, those buses must see some riff-raff to have those installed.

In any event, how about explaining the actual customer usage of these?  If those Orions have it on the wall, down by the inside customers' feet, what happens if someone sits on the aisle?  SOL, or have to do a "deal" with whoever's sitting on the window?

Plus I don't get how all of these strangers are supposed to "get along" reaching over each other and all in jockeying for a stinkin' plug.  Look how people today are conditioned to trust no one, and the "criminalization" of anything close to manspreading, let alone those who think they're the most special person on the bus that everyone else has to stand and they can use the empty seat for their bags or their lard ass.

Most people nowadays are so engrossed in themselves that, the thinking goes, once on the bus, everyone becomes fine, upstanding citizens, ready to be courteous to no end.  Oh really?

TfL has these "official" rules for customers with disabilities and pregnant ladies.  They don't mean a hill of beans to the self-centered oafs in real life, as proven by this -- and yet nobody still really cares, even after this point was made.

If transit users can't use common sense for the disabled or pregnant, they're surely not going to be "friendly" to their own over charging points.

Finding this quite interesting:

BRT, with all the hopes that longer-distance commuters will ride, has reading lights (something more apt for use on commuter coaches/Greyhound), and yet use city bus seating instead of coach-style seating ("suburban" seating).

Nice to see them using the stainless-vandal resistant, OTOH, those buses must see some riff-raff to have those installed.

In any event, how about explaining the actual customer usage of these?  If those Orions have it on the wall, down by the inside customers' feet, what happens if someone sits on the aisle?  SOL, or have to do a "deal" with whoever's sitting on the window?

Plus I don't get how all of these strangers are supposed to "get along" reaching over each other and all in jockeying for a stinkin' plug.  Look how people today are conditioned to trust no one, and the "criminalization" of anything close to manspreading, let alone those who think they're the most special person on the bus that everyone else has to stand and they can use the empty seat for their bags or their lard ass.

Most people nowadays are so engrossed in themselves that, the thinking goes, once on the bus, everyone becomes fine, upstanding citizens, ready to be courteous to no end.  Oh really?

TfL has these "official" rules for customers with disabilities and pregnant ladies.  They don't mean a hill of beans to the self-centered oafs in real life, as proven by this -- and yet nobody still really cares, even after this point was made.

If transit users can't use common sense for the disabled or pregnant, they're surely not going to be "friendly" to their own over charging points.

I'm not saying the current set up is good or bad, but you are definitely over exaggerating it I had an aisle seat and the lady next to me was also using the usb port. When she had to get off, I just unplugged my chord let her out and plugged it back in. No fight, nothing got damaged, no issues, didn't waste any time either. 

I wonder if the ceiling plugs also make it harder to put your phone down and accidentally forget it, as might happen with a plug near the floor. On the other hand, lots of hanging wires are bound to piss off people around you, as DetSmart alluded to.

It would also be nicer if the buses had regular 120 volt plugs instead of use only, but I guess this MTA doesn't want everyone charging up all their household electronics for $2.75

Got some pictures and videos of New Flyer XD60:http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/49134-new-flyer-xd60-invasion/

Also, the XD60's new color scheme looks so good without the exterior ads. However, if they are planning on placing exterior ads, I would rather have them put the ads inside the bus and fill every slot above the windows; improving nonstop ads from mta.info, movie posters, schools, nyc.gov ads, etc.

Yes but no on the highest part of it but still When I was in the back seats my cord was too short to even hold y phone vertically.

Plus the wifi sucks subway wifi is 10x better

When I was on th Q10 yesterday I was 2 XD60's out of scheme

Well people wanted wifi and usb charging and they got it. However they never stated how good it was going to be. I guess they decided to put it on the ceilings so that it doesn't unintentionally get demanded from water and food. They could have placed them on the wall below the seat with covers but I guess they figured vandals will break the covers off.

Most charger cords are usb. You need an adapter to plug it in to an outlet.

I usually see people with the USB cord and adapter together, plus an outlet could be used to charge a laptop or any other electronics someone might have that needs a quick charge

Archived