ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 minute ago, STtoMTA said:

You’re in A div too?  And I mean, I’ve beat saying this with a dead horse but most of the people on the certification list don’t actually get in anyway, between new jobs other offers deaths moving or just being scared or they just don’t respond.  

im still trying to talk to someone that will let me verify my info 

Yeah im in the A division currently, some people will not get the job due to failing a drug test, failing the medical, or being on medical hold, and when this happens they just go to the next person and the next person.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah im in the A division currently, some people will not get the job due to failing a drug test, failing the medical, or being on medical hold, and when this happens they just go to the next person and the next person.

Right, I’m just curious how many they need right now 

4 hours ago, STtoMTA said:

BX, interesting you say this because I heard this from someone that probably didn’t know about this yet , so if that is true it’s most likely less people, but he also said there’s way more than 57 spots to fill 

My friend who was in the last class told me his TSS told him he had another class in late August 

1 minute ago, BxJay120 said:

My friend who was in the last class told me his TSS told him he had another class in late August 

Did he say if the TSS was a good teacher or one who acts like we're stupid, had one of them in my conductors class who talked down to all of us.

I counted all the jobs listed for the current job pick and I counted 1228 jobs. There are also 1464 train operators on the call sheets (list of people in order of seniority to determine who is picking what date and time).

Those call sheets list people that retired recently or people who maybe have moved up to other positions.

So that's only a difference of 236 train operators not counting the retired people etc. 

If those numbers are correct and there arent any variables I'm missing, that's gonna be more than 57 openings. I ran these numbers by someone in the union and they said it sounds about right.

Just consider that I'm number 32x on the extra extra list and theres 58 people behind me. So thata gonna be around 100 openings, again assuming there isnt a variable I am missing.

9 minutes ago, beanz said:

I counted all the jobs listed for the current job pick and I counted 1228 jobs. There are also 1464 train operators on the call sheets (list of people in order of seniority to determine who is picking what date and time).

Those call sheets list people that retired recently or people who maybe have moved up to other positions.

So that's only a difference of 236 train operators not counting the retired people etc. 

If those numbers are correct and there arent any variables I'm missing, that's gonna be more than 57 openings. I ran these numbers by someone in the union and they said it sounds about right.

Just consider that I'm number 32x on the extra extra list and theres 58 people behind me. So thata gonna be around 100 openings, again assuming there isnt a variable I am missing.

Random question but is it hard becoming a train operator ill be coming in as a conductor with only 1 year and a month in title

7 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Random question but is it hard becoming a train operator ill be coming in as a conductor with only 1 year and a month in title

It's not as long as u pay attention and retain the information. It gets tougher, at least in my personal experience, when u out on your own. Just because things happen and there are certain scenarios u briefly covered in schoolcar that rarely happen, and when they do happen u forget what to do or what the situation calls for. So it's in your best interest to continue to study even when u come out, but with crazy xx life it can be hard to prioritize studying with sleeping and family life and relaxing. 

I was supposed to come off probation this month and I had a few incidents and got myself extended. Now I gotta work another 3-4 months knowing I get terminated if I have another one. Its stressful but u just gotta never get comfortable out there and make sure u concentrate on every.single.station.stop.

And make sure u call in a bad train with long brakes because if u dont and those long brakes are the cause of your incident, nobody will believe u.

7 minutes ago, beanz said:

It's not as long as u pay attention and retain the information. It gets tougher, at least in my personal experience, when u out on your own. Just because things happen and there are certain scenarios u briefly covered in schoolcar that rarely happen, and when they do happen u forget what to do or what the situation calls for. So it's in your best interest to continue to study even when u come out, but with crazy xx life it can be hard to prioritize studying with sleeping and family life and relaxing. 

I was supposed to come off probation this month and I had a few incidents and got myself extended. Now I gotta work another 3-4 months knowing I get terminated if I have another one. Its stressful but u just gotta never get comfortable out there and make sure u concentrate on every.single.station.stop.

And make sure u call in a bad train with long brakes because if u dont and those long brakes are the cause of your incident, nobody will believe u.

Holy crap 3 to 4 months with an incident or you'll get terminated that's not fair, did you accidentally hit a home signal?

23 minutes ago, beanz said:

First of all beanz, thank you for taking the time to tell us this.  So for 100 openings, who knows how many people they really need from this list....Not to mention, if there are more retirees like you said .

Just now, Schecter said:

Holy crap 3 to 4 months with an incident or you'll get terminated that's not fair, did you accidentally hit a home signal?

Dont want to get into specifics but it was 3 separate incidents. 2 of them I take full responsibility for but the last one was only my fault because I didn't call in the equipment. I learned a hard lesson but now I am going to annoy RCC calling in every little thing on these old ass trains.

1 minute ago, STtoMTA said:

First of all beanz, thank you for taking the time to tell us this.  So for 100 openings, who knows how many people they really need from this list....Not to mention, if there are more retirees like you said .

Well the xx list was at the 300s so I'm assuming they would need those same type of numbers to cover jobs. I would guesstimate they would need to hire 100 to 150 to bring the xx list back up to the 350s. But like I said take it with a grain of salt, there may be some variable I am not privy to that I am not counting. So I could be way off.

4 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yes, but you have a bit of a headstart as a conductor. There are plenty of rote memorization to do; signal definitions, Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution, differences between the car models, procedures in preparing a train for yard moves/service, flagging, etc, Take the time to study because it can be the difference between failing the signal tests and yard practicals and just breezing through it.

Mind you, each TSS instructor teach the signal definitions their own way, so maybe hold off on that, but it wouldn't hurt to read the rulebook again on the other things in there about train operation.

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yes, but you have a bit of a headstart as a conductor. There are plenty of rote memorization to do; signal definitions, Restricted Speed and Extreme Caution, differences between the car models, procedures in preparing a train for yard moves/service, flagging, etc, Take the time to study because it can be the difference between failing the signal tests and yard practicals and just breezing through it.

Mind you, each TSS instructor teach the signal definitions their own way, so maybe hold off on that, but it wouldn't hurt to read the rulebook again on the other things in there about train operation.

Got any specific pages to begin studying? 

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Got any specific pages to begin studying? 

I'll tell you what others here told me when I asked this question at this same time last year. Wait til you get into schoolcar and see who your instructors are first.

They all have different styles of teaching signals. You'll see when you get in.

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

I'll tell you what others here told me when I asked this question at this same time last year. Wait til you get into schoolcar and see who your instructors are first.

They all have different styles of teaching signals. You'll see when you get in.

Alright cool makes sense only thing I'm nervous about is the miscellaneous signals and apparently red doesn't only mean just stop. I think there's another definition something about with permission from rcc to bridge the IJ and continue with restricted speed extreme caution expecting to find an occupied track, broken rail or obstruction. And also the track workers stuff and the different helmet colors and what they mean :( stressing me out for no reason lol

"Due to the pandemic, we haven’t had a T/O or C/R class since January, and a Towers class since March. New classes are being scheduled for August-September:

Conductors, September 8th

Train Operators, September 21st

Reminder: with Transit, anything is subject to change. For now, this is the information we’ve been provided." 

Provided from the VP of TWU 100

5 minutes ago, Schecter said:

"Due to the pandemic, we haven’t had a T/O or C/R class since January, and a Towers class since March. New classes are being scheduled for August-September:

Conductors, September 8th

Train Operators, September 21st

Reminder: with Transit, anything is subject to change. For now, this is the information we’ve been provided." 

Provided from the VP of TWU 100

Is this confirmed ? Because if so you just lifted a major weight off my shoulders 

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

31 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Alright cool makes sense only thing I'm nervous about is the miscellaneous signals and apparently red doesn't only mean just stop. I think there's another definition something about with permission from rcc to bridge the IJ and continue with restricted speed extreme caution expecting to find an occupied track, broken rail or obstruction. And also the track workers stuff and the different helmet colors and what they mean :( stressing me out for no reason lol

All of that will be demystified for you. Trust me. I was just like you at first. It will become clear.

12 hours ago, Schecter said:

I'm assuming that's why they sent that blast email to people because they need to hire a lot more people, every week I've been hearing rcc on the radio saying if train operators or conductors are looking to work on their day off to call the crew office.

Well... they called me for T/O. I had done pre-employment in Dec 2019, and again Jul 2020. 

I've been doing OT as a C/R literally weekly.