Bensonhurster starts Ridge-to-Manhattan bus service

Union Tpke

We'll in this day and age if you don't market anything you'll definitely struggle. He needs to be visible, or may struggle attracting ridership. The best way to get seen IMO is trying to put himself on the transit app.

That won't help at all....especially since it's basically a one-man operation.

The first, and most important thing he needs to do is make a website and create ad space for it, so the site can be broadcasted elsewhere. Then promote the routes through the website and various transit outlets. Any kind of app won't be nearly as effective.

If you wanna start a new business, go for it. Learn as you go, and work hard to achieve what you want. This guy wants to be more customer friendly than the MTA it seems. He's gonna drive a real bus and RTS, none of that hybrid crap which is good. I wish him the best!

lol... You don't run a business like that.  Of course you never stop learning (believe me, I still learn new things every day running my department), but there are certain things that should be done in advance, otherwise the business will fail.  I'm sure he's invested a decent amount of capital in this start-up, so he would be wise to make some changes beforehand.

I also am wondering how he came to the conclusion that this route he is "re-kindling" will actually draw ridership given that the old one fizzled out.  Stealing riders from the (R) train just has all sorts of fail on it. If they were that fed-up with it they would've already switched to the X27/X37 or even the X28/X38 depending on their location in Bay Ridge.  $5.00 isn't a terrible price, but for someone paying $2.75 a ride, that's still almost double the fare with only one trip each way.   Aside from that, he also claims that this will be faster than the (R), but yet the article says that the route will "wind through Brooklyn".  

There are a lot of variables that you guys aren't even considering, but almost automatically have him failing, because he's going up against the Mother MTA. How do you know he doesn't have people who could be investors that would be regular users? What if he's been marketing his service on cheap ad methods like full-color postcards print shops will do as long as you let them put their name/contact info on them? What about his own Facebook/social media pages? Just because he didn't include those for the article doesn't mean he's overlooking them.

It's not cheap to do all that he's done to even think about getting something like this started. This isn't some little Etsy page selling trinkets whenever they get created or requested.

Hopefully he can make this work. He certainly won't have any of you from the Peanut Gallery here as customers, and it sounds like he may just as well be better off from it.

There are a lot of variables that you guys aren't even considering, but almost automatically have him failing, because he's going up against the Mother MTA. How do you know he doesn't have people who could be investors that would be regular users? What if he's been marketing his service on cheap ad methods like full-color postcards print shops will do as long as you let them put their name/contact info on them? What about his own Facebook/social media pages? Just because he didn't include those for the article doesn't mean he's overlooking them.

It's not cheap to do all that he's done to even think about getting something like this started. This isn't some little Etsy page selling trinkets whenever they get created or requested.

Hopefully he can make this work. He certainly won't have any of you from the Peanut Gallery here as customers, and it sounds like he may just as well be better off from it.

Well, I for one, live in the neighborhood he's serving and would at the very least, consider using his service if I knew:

-where he is stopping to pick up/drop off people in Bay Ridge

-where he is stopping to pick up/drop off people in Manhattan

-what times he is stopping at these locations

-how long the trip will take

but he isn't making this clear to people. I'd say he's loosing potential ridership in the neighborhood by not making this information accessible.

Well, I for one, live in the neighborhood he's serving and would at the very least, consider using his service if I knew:

-where he is stopping to pick up/drop off people in Bay Ridge

-where he is stopping to pick up/drop off people in Manhattan

-what times he is stopping at these locations

-how long the trip will take

but he isn't making this clear to people. I'd say he's loosing potential ridership in the neighborhood by not making this information accessible.

OK, fine, great.

It's been over a week since the article was published. Some have done some Google-work finding out where the USDOT is registered.

Have any of you either contacted him (via the USDOT registration info) or the article's writer for more information?  Doesn't look like it.  And I don't think anyone really wants to do that, because that could mean this parade of negativity would have to screech to a halt.

Well if he has done any of the things you've stated why isn't such info available? Yes, he has spent a lot of money, and that's precisely why I've posed the questions that I did. I run a small business and have friends who have tried start-ups and failed so I'm not shooting out hot air. A lot of people unfortunately start businesses and fail because they don't think things through, so what I want to know is how will he be advertising this service? How does he expect to make a profit? He likely won't see any actual money for some time, as is the case with most businesses just starting up, but he should have an idea as to when he expects to get into black. Will it be one year? More than one year? He'll need funds to get him through that time. All legitimate questions to ask. I mean who wants to switch to a service only to find that it folds a few months later? I hope the guy succeeds too, but there have been a few folks that tried start-up services and had to close up because they didn't think things through.

OK, fine, great.

It's been over a week since the article was published. Some have done some Google-work finding out where the USDOT is registered.

Have any of you either contacted him (via the USDOT registration info) or the article's writer for more information?  Doesn't look like it.  And I don't think anyone really wants to do that, because that could mean this parade of negativity would have to screech to a halt.

That's all well and good but I shouldn't have to contact the guy through his USDOT registration info to find this basic information about his service.

Well if he has done any of the things you've stated why isn't such info available? Yes, he has spent a lot of money, and that's precisely why I've posed the questions that I did. I run a small business and have friends who have tried start-ups and failed so I'm not shooting out hot air. A lot of people unfortunately start businesses and fail because they don't think things through, so what I want to know is how will he be advertising this service? How does he expect to make a profit? He likely won't see any actual money for some time, as is the case with most businesses just starting up, but he should have an idea as to when he expects to get into black. Will it be one year? More than one year? He'll need funds to get him through that time. All legitimate questions to ask. I mean who wants to switch to a service only to find that it folds a few months later? I hope the guy succeeds too, but there have been a few folks that tried start-up services and had to close up because they didn't think things through.

Don't lecture me about business start-ups or operations.  ALL of your questions should be directed at HIM, yet you fall into the same internet-pontificating and do NOTHING to find out the information since you're obviously intrigued.

NEWSFLASH: YOU CAN'T ALWAYS FIND EVERYTHING IN SECONDS ON THE INTERNET.  I know that's going to come as a huge shock to a lot of you, but it's true.  Sometimes you actually have to do some "legwork" to find what you're looking for, like interacting with other people that surround you.

All this has turned into is a back-and-forth of useless drivel about how this guy's not doing anything right, and how he should take direction from a bunch of transit fanboys because everyone here supposedly knows everything there is to know about NYC area transit, sprinkled with a little extra knowledge about other areas.  Good God, some of you are probably subliminally "offended" that he hasn't approached you for your input!

You, VG8, of all people here, could have fired all of those questions to the article's reporter in a brief missive, instead of at me.  What that would have accomplished is two-fold:  The reporter would probably forward it on to the guy showing that he has interest in the transit community (as well as possibly in the areas he'd serve), and all of the information everybody here is seeking could either be disseminated by direct contact by the guy himself (either here or in a return e-mail) or by your relay to those here.

Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to do this, yet you want to chunter on like everybody else here with your own precious "observations".

The ONLY reason I responded to this thread was because EVERYBODY who has put forth something has been negative to this guy's idea, and yet NOBODY has even bothered to reach out to find out more -- even though everyone is highly intrigued.

Sorry, that's a definition in my book of PURE LAZINESS.

That's all well and good but I shouldn't have to contact the guy through his USDOT registration info to find this basic information about his service.

You could have always sent a brief e-mail off to the article's writer for more information.  If you REALLY wanted more information, then that's what you would do.

If the guy wants people to use his service, then it's his job to get the relevant information out there to his potential customers. That is Business 101. 

Don't lecture me about business start-ups or operations.  ALL of your questions should be directed at HIM, yet you fall into the same internet-pontificating and do NOTHING to find out the information since you're obviously intrigued.

NEWSFLASH: YOU CAN'T ALWAYS FIND EVERYTHING IN SECONDS ON THE INTERNET.  I know that's going to come as a huge shock to a lot of you, but it's true.  Sometimes you actually have to do some "legwork" to find what you're looking for, like interacting with other people that surround you.

All this has turned into is a back-and-forth of useless drivel about how this guy's not doing anything right, and how he should take direction from a bunch of transit fanboys because everyone here supposedly knows everything there is to know about NYC area transit, sprinkled with a little extra knowledge about other areas.  Good God, some of you are probably subliminally "offended" that he hasn't approached you for your input!

You, VG8, of all people here, could have fired all of those questions to the article's reporter in a brief missive, instead of at me.  What that would have accomplished is two-fold:  The reporter would probably forward it on to the guy showing that he has interest in the transit community (as well as possibly in the areas he'd serve), and all of the information everybody here is seeking could either be disseminated by direct contact by the guy himself (either here or in a return e-mail) or by your relay to those here.

Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to do this, yet you want to chunter on like everybody else here with your own precious "observations".

The ONLY reason I responded to this thread was because EVERYBODY who has put forth something has been negative to this guy's idea, and yet NOBODY has even bothered to reach out to find out more -- even though everyone is highly intrigued.

You could have always sent a brief e-mail off to the article's writer for more information.  If you REALLY wanted more information, then that's what you would do.

Now, it's not like what everyone is saying isn't true. He does have to advertise and publicize himself. But on the other hand, I just found him on Facebook. Took me 10 seconds after going through all similarly-named people. So if anyone wants to ask him questions...

If the guy wants people to use his service, then it's his job to get the relevant information out there to his potential customers. That is Business 101. 

This....a lot of start-up routes in NYC have fallen because of the lack of information being available alone, along with those that tried to take over previous services that the MTA has cut.

At the same token, the person in question hasn't announced anything other than he wants to launch a service. He hasn't announced when it'll happen, so that alone says he may still be working out the kinks and is still on the planning stage.

-------------------------------------

Some folks are getting bent out of shape in this thread over nothing, and it's hilarious.

LOL! I'm not reaching out to anybody. That's his job. I'm also not lecturing anyone. I'm well aware of how much work is needed running a business let alone starting one, so he has his hands full. I just wish him the best of luck either way and will sit back and see how this all plays out.

LOL! I'm not reaching out to anybody. That's his job. I'm also not lecturing anyone. I'm well aware of how much work is needed running a business let alone starting one, so he has his hands full. I just wish him the best of luck either way and will sit back and see how this all plays out.

Exactly, no one should have to reach out for information if they are the ones targeting a specific audience. Like you said, we gotta wait and see how it plays out, because it's still in the planning stages.

For all the people that are crowing about the necessity of information, it will be released to the public eventually.... There's really no need to be all "OMG WE NEED TO CONTACT THEM NAO!!!11!11" to get it. It's evidently still in the planning stages.

• 2 weeks later...

Bay Ridge Express

New Bus Service on 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge

BEGINS MONDAY MARCH 6TH

AM Travel-Bay Ridge to Financial District

Church Street to 6th Avenue and 57th Street

7:50 AM 1st Stop - 97th Street and 3rd Avenue

97th Street

95th Street

7:51 92nd Street

88th Street

7:55 86th Street

83rd Street

80th Street

75th Street

72nd Street

Bayridge Avenue

7:57 65th Street (Middle of Block)

PM Return Stops from Manhattan to Bay Ridge

2:45 PM                   5:22 PM

1st Stop-Between 58th and 57th Street, 6th Avenue (Middle of Block)

51st Street

47th Street

43rd Street

2:55   40th Street     5:32

35th Street

32nd Street

3:03   23rd Street     5:40

3:11   14th Street     5:48

Waverly Place

Houston Street

Canal Street

Duane Street