Standing-only cars on the L and S (Times Square Shuttle)

rbrome

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys do know they can easily implement 9 car trains on the (L) right? They can use the NIS cars from the Canarsie wreck to add in a car to two pilot R143's.

Easily?

Lets not forget the platform length along most of the (L) line stations.

In the same document, it seems that the (L) needs more yard space for future service expansion (capacity-wise). One suggestion was to encroach on the LIRR ROW (or very close to it) to create yard space. Thus, I’m surprised that they did not think of using the Atlantic Avenue station with such knowledge in mind.

Back on topic, idk if this has been reported yet, but a very reliable source has it that they're going to only do 1 car per 4 car trainset on the (L) . I was for it if it was 2/set, but now that it's just 1, it seems just like an inconvenience for those who need seats (disabled/elderly/pregnant) in order to gain negligible capacity...

Back on topic, idk if this has been reported yet, but a very reliable source has it that they're going to only do 1 car per 4 car trainset on the (L) . I was for it if it was 2/set, but now that it's just 1, it seems just like an inconvenience for those who need seats (disabled/elderly/pregnant) in order to gain negligible capacity...

The car(s) that will have no seats will be clearly marked outside the car. It's safe to assume the first, last, and middle cars of the train will retain the seats just for those people.

I'm not denying it'll be easy to see for most people, but for those who can move quickly, walking to the next car when confronted with seatless isn't so easy/quick. Them moving around and trying to get to a seat car will hold up trains, etc.

Also how will this be communicated to the blind?

I'm not denying it'll be easy to see for most people, but for those who can move quickly, walking to the next car when confronted with seatless isn't so easy/quick. Them moving around and trying to get to a seat car will hold up trains, etc.

Also how will this be communicated to the blind?

Yeah, that issue was something that crossed my mind as well. A 8 car train is tricky (4x2). But maybe marking designated area's where high capacity cars would line up. 10 car train is easy no matter the orientation of the sets the 3 and 8 cars would always line up in the same spot you could mark it.. I believe in Boston the 3 and 4 cars out of six car train (One set) was converted so they'd line up pretty much in the same place everytime. With the (L) not so easy. 8 cars train broken into two sets. So that's a good question actually.    

This is why perhaps they need to look at nine-car trains for the (L) if not immediately in the future (as noted, all stations on the (L) I believe are actually 536 feet and though a tight fit should be able to handle a nine-car train of 540 feet).  

This is why perhaps they need to look at nine-car trains for the (L) if not immediately in the future (as noted, all stations on the (L) I believe are actually 536 feet and though a tight fit should be able to handle a nine-car train of 540 feet).

Kinda wrong there bruh. Straight from the link posted above, the only stations that can easily hold 9 cars are Rockaway Pkwy, E. 105 St, Atlantic Av, Bway Junction, 6 Av, and 8 Av. The handful of stations that are 540 ft barely fit 9 cars

Here's the lengths of all the platforms:

8 Av: 545 ft

6 Av: 610 ft

Union Sq: 519 ft

3 Av: 529 ft

1 Av: 534 ft

Bedford Av: 530 ft

Lorimer St: 530 ft

Graham Av: 530 ft

Grand St: 519 ft

Montrose Av: 530 ft

Morgan Av: 540 ft

Jefferson St: 530 ft Manhattan bound, 538 ft Canarsie bound

Dekalb Av: 540 ft

Myrtle-Wyckoff: 540 ft

Halsey St: 540 ft

Wilson Av: 540 ft

Bushwick Av: 540 ft

Bway Jct: 546 ft Manhattan bound, 540 ft Canarsie bound

Atlantic Av: 550 ft

Sutter Av: 518 ft

Livonia Av: 523 ft

New Lots Av: 531 ft Manhattan bound, 534 ft Canarsie bound

E. 105 St: 575 ft

Rockaway Pkwy: 561 ft

Personally, all the (L) stations (along with the (J) , (M) , and (Z) stations) should be extended to hold 600 foot trains. However, that would just take way too long (and relief is needed NOW).

Is it physically possible though? Taking into account the environment and such and maybe some things can get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Kinda wrong there bruh. Straight from the link posted above, the only stations that can easily hold 9 cars are Rockaway Pkwy, E. 105 St, Atlantic Av, Bway Junction, 6 Av, and 8 Av. The handful of stations that are 540 ft barely fit 9 cars

Thanks.  It had been noted many times those stations used to handle eight-car trains of 67' BMT Standards, that's where the 536 feet came from.  It does show not too much work has to be done on most of them to get them to 600 feet for 10-car trains.

Thanks.  It had been noted many times those stations used to handle eight-car trains of 67' BMT Standards, that's where the 536 feet came from.  It does show not too much work has to be done on most of them to get them to 600 feet for 10-car trains.

The yards are another problem. 9-car trains cannot fit. The MTA will have to find new space to store trains for the day when the (L) goes 26 TPH and expand the existing yards for longer trains.

I suppose the MTA could use selective door operation with 9-car consists of R160s. None of these platforms are shorter than 500 feet, so the last car could fit partially in some of the stations. All of the trains' doors will definitely open at the terminals, though, since they are both over 545 feet. Probably won't happen, though.

Personally, all the (L) stations (along with the (J) , (M) , and (Z) stations) should be extended to hold 600 foot trains. However, that would just take way too long (and relief is needed NOW). 

I agree, but maybe just extend the platforms to 540 feet for 9-car trains for now, and focus on 600 feet later. In some stations, it's only a 6-foot platform extension.

I would suggest that they remove 20%-45% of seats of every car on a set, instead of having cars with no seats at all.....

Or just have the seats lift into the ceiling during rush hours. Like this: 

But instead of the door seats, make it the window seats that go into the ceiling.

I suppose the MTA could use selective door operation with 9-car consists of R160s. None of these platforms are shorter than 500 feet, so the last car could fit partially in some of the stations. All of the trains' doors will definitely open at the terminals, though, since they are both over 545 feet. Probably won't happen, though.

None of the cars we have have that feature. You either open all the doors in that seat or nothing at all. Getting out the cab at every stop just to lock out certain doors is impractical and a huge waste of time.

Archived