Via Garibaldi 8

METRO

Transit bandit agrees to plea deal, will head to psych ward

By Elizabeth Rosner and Emily Saul

January 8, 2018 | 6:26pm | Updated

bx008_7d48_9.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=

Darius McCollum (center) Gabriella Bass

Now he’s officially off the rails.

After years of brushing off deals offered by prosecutors, New York City’s infamous serial transit bandit opted Monday to cop a plea that will indefinitely land him in a psychiatric facility.

Darius McCollum, who has Asperger’s syndrome and has been unable to resist taking over buses and trains since he was a teen, agreed to a deal that would find him not responsible by reason of mental disease or defect for his latest transit-jacking — allegedly commandeering a Greyhound bus in November 2015 from the Port Authority terminal.

The 52-year-old made the decision the same day he was slotted to head to trial.

“I went home that night, it was raining,” McCollum told the court, as he recalled his drive after swiping the bus. “I parked at my house, went home and slept.”

As a three-time felon – all for bus- and train-related thefts – he would have faced as much as life behind bars if convicted at trial.

The mass-transit buff recounted how, the morning after he nabbed the Greyhound coach, he drove it back into Manhattan from Queens, then into Pennsylvania, then back to Queens and into Brooklyn – where he was arrested.

As part of Monday’s deal, doctors will determine if McCollum poses a violent risk to society, which will affect the terms of his commitment.

McCollum had previously passed up three other deals that would have landed him in prison for five to 10 years.

“We are not agreeing he is dangerous,” defense attorney Sally Butler told reporters following Monday’s appearance. “He is very happy he is going to be treated.”

If he’s not found to pose a risk to society, McCollum will be sent to a non-secure hospital where he’ll have privileges and be allowed to see his mother, Butler said.

“He’ll have services like he’s never had before. Some diagnosis and treatment,” the lawyer added.

“It took us 2 1/2 years to get them to believe he doesn’t belong in jail,” said Butler, grinning. “I’m happy.”

The wannabe Ralph Kramden has been busted over 30 times for variously co-opting trains and buses around the city, and was first arrested at age 15 when the conductor of an E train left him alone at the helm – and the teen drove from 34th Street to the World Trade Center.

The Queens man was diagnosed with Asperger’s and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in his 30s, according to Butler.

McCollum’s decision to take the deal comes a less than a week after Brooklyn prosecutor Janet Gleeson accused Butler of talking the transit bandit out of taking the deals.

She’s denied those claims, but a third attorney was brought in Wednesday to counsel McCollum regarding the pleas.

A documentary about McCollum, ”Off The Rails,” was released last year. A Hollywood film is now in the works.

As Butler left court, a beaming McCollum passed her a note that said, “They finally got it right.”

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/transit-bandit-agrees-to-plea-deal-will-head-to-psych-ward/

35 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Still think somebody just should have hired him instead of threatening worse and worse prison time. If anything, he would have done the job better than a lot of regulars.

Yeah, but who is going to hire a convicted felon?  I mean the damage has been done, regardless of what he was convicted for.  I think the (MTA) is taking this seriously because they need to from a liability standpoint.  So this guy went for joy rides... Luckily no one was injured or died (that I know of), but had that been the case, the (MTA) would be facing lawsuits left and right, not McCollum since he can't even pay his lawyer fees.  While he has Asperger’s, I think the message here is that everything should be done in moderation.  A somewhat sad case quite frankly.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but who is going to hire a convicted felon?  I mean the damage has been done, regardless of what he was convicted for.  I think the (MTA) is taking this seriously because they need to from a liability standpoint.  So this guy went for joy rides... Luckily no one was injured or died (that I know of), but had that been the case, the (MTA) would be facing lawsuits left and right, not McCollum since he can't even pay his lawyer fees.  While he has Asperger’s, I think the message here is that everything should be done in moderation.  A somewhat sad case quite frankly.

The MTA hires convicted Felons, they ask on the application. He would have been the one T/O that loved his job lol.

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You can be hired by the MTA if you have a felony conviction you just have to be honest about it when they call you in for processing, however i think the other posters point is completely asinine. Like you said there's the liability stand point. Since he already has problems controlling his urges who's to say if he were hired he doesn't do something crazier/more dangerous without people suspecting anything because he's already in uniform? What happens when he hurts/kills somebody from his recklessness? 

Sorry, not sorry. If he wants to operate a train/bus whatever then just like i did, just like every MTA exmployee who operates trains or is a conductor did, he needs to take the appropriate civil service exam and score high and let it happen from there. He's no better than those conquestors who pulled pranks in the last years IMO.

1 minute ago, N6 Limited said:

The MTA hires convicted Felons, they ask on the application. He would have been the one T/O that loved his job lol.

They do??!?? I guess that says a lot about them... <_< I don't think I'll be looking at the B/O or T/O the same from now on, that's for sure.  Who knows? Your bus driver could be a convicted felon... 

3 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

From what I remember, they ask if you've been convicted of a crime on the application and the only issue is if you lie and say you didn't when you actually did.

Wow... I'm all for second chances, but I don't know... Where do you draw the line?  Perhaps these people shouldn't be in positions that involve interacting with the public.  I know of a few B/Os that are downright nasty. I mean ANGRY... I get this one driver... I've always wondered why he is so angry. He has CONSTANT road rage... Honks at everything and even yells at people out of his window.  He's hostile with the passengers, practically slamming the door on us before we can even get off of the bus.  Who knows... Maybe he has a legitimate reason to be angry and shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Smh

14 minutes ago, Truckie said:

Let's not forget this individual has a mental disability.  Who knows if he would even be mentally fit to transport people in any capacity.  I'm not saying his disability would disqualify him but who knows.

I wouldn't hire him... Too much of a liability... I mean it's a shame, but this guy would have the lives of hundreds or thousands of people in his hands... That would be an insane case of recklessness.

Wow... I'm all for second chances, but I don't know... Where do you draw the line?  Perhaps these people shouldn't be in positions that involve interacting with the public.  I know of a few B/Os that are downright nasty. I mean ANGRY... I get this one driver... I've always wondered why he is so angry. He has CONSTANT road rage... Honks at everything and even yells at people out of his window.  He's hostile with the passengers, practically slamming the door on us before we can even get off of the bus.  Who knows... Maybe he has a legitimate reason to be angry and shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Smh

Maybe it's because he has to drive around NYC all day, haha.

1 hour ago, Truckie said:

Let's not forget this individual has a mental disability.  Who knows if he would even be mentally fit to transport people in any capacity.  I'm not saying his disability would disqualify him but who knows.

He has already safely operated an (E) train with passengers on board  :P

I wouldn't hire him... Too much of a liability... I mean it's a shame, but this guy would have the lives of hundreds or thousands of people in his hands... That would be an insane case of recklessness.

He loves trains, he'd probably show up to work early, operate all car models well, know every single feature, know the A and B division, attend school car on his days off, make suggestions to dispatchers and planners, be a Platform conductor on his lunch break, etc. :rock:

5 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Maybe it's because he has to drive around NYC all day, haha.

He has already safely operated an (E) train with passengers on board  :P

He loves trains, he'd probably show up to work early, operate all car models well, know every single feature, know the A and B division, attend school car on his days off, make suggestions to dispatchers and planners, be a Platform conductor on his lunch break, etc. :rock:

I guess that's nice, but as someone who is in a managerial position who hires and fires people, he would not work for me. lol

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They do??!?? I guess that says a lot about them... <_< I don't think I'll be looking at the B/O or T/O the same from now on, that's for sure.  Who knows? Your bus driver could be a convicted felon... 

Yeah, the MTA hires felons... DSNY, DPR (especially), and the DOT's got em just as much, if not two times over...

Don't know if this is actually true or not, but from what I've long heard to be the case, the quote-unquote acceptance rate is greater if you're a felon applying to work for the state (some coincidence huh), compared to the city....

There's a good chance the guy firing up your favorite meal at your high-end restaurant of choice is a convicted felon also, but that's neither here nor there....

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I guess that's nice, but as someone who is in a managerial position who hires and fires people, he would not work for me. lol

Same... I don't want that liability either, nor, quite frankly - the headache.

"As Butler left court, a beaming McCollum passed her a note that said, 'They finally got it right.' "
Nope.... I want no part of that nutcase.... None.

Quite Frankly the (MTA) should have hired him after he so well operated the (E) from 34th street to WTC. Thank god nobody died or was hurt, I just feel that something should have been done before this. He should have tried to work for legally for the (MTA), and the (MTA) should have hired him. For them to have let this go on for almost 3 decades is crazy. Most people just don't get mental illness, and how it effects individuals. 

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Wasn't there some teen in the 80s who "hijacked" a R44 and nearly drove it round trip before derailing on a switching when going too fast?

I know who you're talking about. He didn't derail though, he got tripped by a timer and didn't know how to reset it, that's how he got caught. Later on he got hired by the TA to work as an electrician, he died a couple of years ago. 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, the MTA hires felons... DSNY, DPR (especially), and the DOT's got em just as much, if not two times over...

Don't know if this is actually true or not, but from what I've long heard to be the case, the quote-unquote acceptance rate is greater if you're a felon applying to work for the state (some coincidence huh), compared to the city....

There's a good chance the guy firing up your favorite meal at your high-end restaurant of choice is a convicted felon also, but that's neither here nor there....

Same... I don't want that liability either, nor, quite frankly - the headache.

"As Butler left court, a beaming McCollum passed her a note that said, 'They finally got it right.' "
Nope.... I want no part of that nutcase.... None.

I can't say I'm totally shocked by that. I've seen a few guys that made me wonder where these guys worked previously. There's a guy that has his arms almost fully covered in tattoos and my instinct says this guy is definitely from the streets and perhaps could've done time for some minor offense... I don't put anything past anybody, especially these days. :lol:

2 hours ago, Ladywolf said:

Quite Frankly the (MTA) should have hired him after he so well operated the (E) from 34th street to WTC. Thank god nobody died or was hurt, I just feel that something should have been done before this. He should have tried to work for legally for the (MTA), and the (MTA) should have hired him. For them to have let this go on for almost 3 decades is crazy. Most people just don't get mental illness, and how it effects individuals. 

I suppose they could've, but perhaps in a non-risk scenario, where he could work under the close supervision of a superior.  On the same token, that could backfire. It may send the wrong message to the public... I mean listen, I see stories of hackers being re-hired out of jail to help security companies and so on, but hiring a guy into buses and trains may send the wrong signal.... Why couldn't he just apply like every regular Joe does that is a fan of buses or trains?

35 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I know who you're talking about. He didn't derail though, he got tripped by a timer and didn't know how to reset it, that's how he got caught. Later on he got hired by the TA to work as an electrician, he died a couple of years ago. 

Are you kidding?? He got hired after that stunt??

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Are you kidding?? He got hired after that stunt??

I'm not joking, google Keron Thomas. I can't find anything saying he worked for the TA as a electrician, but rather worked for the city for wiring traffic signals, maybe he did both but could swore I read somewhere that ended up working for the TA as an electrician, oh well. he later on started his own trucking company.

11 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Is it ironic that people are advocating the MTA not to hire people who would love to do their jobs, while they have tons of employees that obviously loathe their jobs and/or don't even know the system enough to make accurate service announcement, etc?

I’ve heard plenty of times train operators giving bad or outright false information to tourists. They had a nasty attitude too sometimes when the tourists were asking me for directions first.

On January 9, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I still believe he should have been hired way back when he first applied, he was obviously qualified=. 

Today, obviously, it wouldn’t make sense from a liability standpoint. 

On 1/9/2018 at 11:38 PM, trainfan22 said:

I'm not joking, google Keron Thomas. I can't find anything saying he worked for the TA as a electrician, but rather worked for the city for wiring traffic signals, maybe he did both but could swore I read somewhere that ended up working for the TA as an electrician, oh well. he later on started his own trucking company.

Hahaha that is nuts!

As for everyone who thinks Darius should have been hired, past news reports said he was cognitively impaired and had severe OCD in addition to Asperger's. Someone with that profile would not be a good candidate to handle an emergency which requires quick decision making. He's not simply someone with poor social skills, he has severe deficits that prevent normal functioning according to all the reports.  

10 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Hahaha that is nuts!

As for everyone who thinks Darius should have been hired, past news reports said he was cognitively impaired and had severe OCD in addition to Asperger's. Someone with that profile would not be a good candidate to handle an emergency which requires quick decision making. He's not simply someone with poor social skills, he has severe deficits that prevent normal functioning according to all the reports.  

You're one of the few posters in this thread who has common sense. That last paragraph says it all. None of my fellow RTO co-workers including supervision in school car would ever accept him as a member of our workplace. The conversation started from his first incident and was ongoing throughout his continual issues. FYI most convicted felons aren't hired. The process simply means that some people are not automatically precluded from applying for a position. That being said theft and/or violence means that person won't pass go 99% of the time. Judging from some of these replies I'm glad some of you folks weren't my co-workers , lol. Carry on.

Archived