NYMTA Bus Procurement Updates

The Real

Untitled-1.jpg

Nova Bus:
92 LFS Artics (5439-5530)
Currently in Production, Scheduled to be deployed to displace older Nova LFS Artics in Manhattan and the Bronx from Select Service to regular local service. Not direct replacements for any particular fleet. (Expected delivery completion in Summer 2018)

251 LFS 40-Ft (Projected 8504-8754)
First pilot bus due in April of 2018, which production to be completed in first Quarter 2019. These buses will feature the new Hi-visibility operator's window. These buses are direct replacements for 1999 Nova RTSs and 2003-04 Orion Hybrids

72 LFS Artics (Projected 5531-5602)
First pilot bus due in September of 2018, with production to be completed by April of 2019. These buses are direct replacements for New Flyer D60HF buses. These buses are also scheduled to be deployed in L-Line bus shuttle replacement service and then in Manhattan and the Bronx on SBS routes. These will also feature the new Hi-visibility operator's window.

New Flyer:
110 XN60 CNG Articulateds (1016-1125)
First pilot bus in service at West Farms Depot, with production buses to start delivery in February of 2018. Buses will be deployed at West Farms Depot (to allow Bx36 articulation) and Jackie Gleason Depot (to allow B35 articulation). Direct replacements for 2004 Orion 7 CNGs.

367 XD40 Diesels / 10 XDE40 Hybrids (7484-7850, XDE No. N/A)
First pilot bus in service at Jamaica Depot, with production to start in April of 2018. XDE Hybrid pilot bus is due in March of 2018, with all 10 in service by the end of Summer 2018. These buses are direct replacements for 1999 Nova RTSs and 2003-04 Orion Hybrids

108 XD60 Diesel Articulateds (Projected 6126-6233)
First pilot bus expected to arrive by July of 2018. Will be direct replacements for New Flyer D60HFs and other fleets.

On the slate:
60 All-Electric Buses (45 40-footers, 15 60-footers)
The 45 40-footers will be awarded based on the test and evaluation of the 10 (5 Proterra and 5 New Flyer) electric buses currently in service. The 15 60-footers are expected to be awarded to New Flyer for the XE60 CHARGE model as that is currently the only electric articulated bus available that meets the NYMTA spec. BYD was not approved in the initial test evaluations along with Nova (HOWEVER, anything is subject to change). (Solicitation release in Q1 2018 for 15 Artics)

25 40-foot Diesel Buses (MTAB, Not Awarded)

275 40-foot Diesel-Hybrid Electric Buses (NYCT, Not Awarded)
10 60-foot Deisel-Hybrid Electric Buses (NYCT, Projected Award, awaiting press release)

50 45-foot Diesel Commuter Coaches (NYCT, Not Awarded, Solicitation release expected in Q2 2018)
257 45-foot Diesel Commuter Coaches (MTAB, Not Awarded, Solicitation release expected in Q2 2018)

53 60-foot Diesel Articulated Buses (MTAB, Projected Award, awaiting press release)

Phenomenal information as always. The clock is ticking on those O7 CNGs and D60Hs, which will mean an end to the DD50-equipped buses at the MTA--hard to believe once that was almost the entire fleet at one point.

Is it just in the rendering, or is there a spec change for the rim type to go back to the RTS-style five-hole rims for the new LFSes?

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Phenomenal information as always. The clock is ticking on those O7 CNGs and D60Hs, which will mean an end to the DD50-equipped buses at the MTA--hard to believe once that was almost the entire fleet at one point.

Is it just in the rendering, or is there a spec change for the rim type to go back to the RTS-style five-hole rims for the new LFSes?

That might just be for the render.

Did they really add the BRT front roof cap? Or was this just a quick rendering for the post? And with the amount of space that these chargers take up for the electric buses in grand, ordering so many more would be a mistake

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

Did they really add the BRT front roof cap? Or was this just a quick rendering for the post? And with the amount of space that these chargers take up for the electric buses in grand, ordering so many more would be a mistake

CTA's Nova 40 footers do have the BRT cap so its possible they get delivered with it

On 1/23/2018 at 9:37 AM, The Real said:

Untitled-1.jpg

Nova Bus:
92 LFS Artics (5439-5530)
Currently in Production, Scheduled to be deployed to displace older Nova LFS Artics in Manhattan and the Bronx from Select Service to regular local service. Not direct replacements for any particular fleet. (Expected delivery completion in Summer 2018)

251 LFS 40-Ft (Projected 8504-8754)
First pilot bus due in April of 2018, which production to be completed in first Quarter 2019. These buses will feature the new Hi-visibility operator's window. These buses are direct replacements for 1999 Nova RTSs and 2003-04 Orion Hybrids

72 LFS Artics (Projected 5531-5602)
First pilot bus due in September of 2018, with production to be completed by April of 2019. These buses are direct replacements for New Flyer D60HF buses. These buses are also scheduled to be deployed in L-Line bus shuttle replacement service and then in Manhattan and the Bronx on SBS routes. These will also feature the new Hi-visibility operator's window.

New Flyer:
110 XN60 CNG Articulateds (1016-1125)
First pilot bus in service at West Farms Depot, with production buses to start delivery in February of 2018. Buses will be deployed at West Farms Depot (to allow Bx36 articulation) and Jackie Gleason Depot (to allow B35 articulation). Direct replacements for 2004 Orion 7 CNGs.

367 XD40 Diesels / 10 XDE40 Hybrids (7484-7850, XDE No. N/A)
First pilot bus in service at Jamaica Depot, with production to start in April of 2018. XDE Hybrid pilot bus is due in March of 2018, with all 10 in service by the end of Summer 2018. These buses are direct replacements for 1999 Nova RTSs and 2003-04 Orion Hybrids

108 XD60 Diesel Articulateds (Projected 6126-6233)
First pilot bus expected to arrive by July of 2018. Will be direct replacements for New Flyer D60HFs and other fleets.

On the slate:
60 All-Electric Buses (45 40-footers, 15 60-footers)
The 45 40-footers will be awarded based on the test and evaluation of the 10 (5 Proterra and 5 New Flyer) electric buses currently in service. The 15 60-footers are expected to be awarded to New Flyer for the XE60 CHARGE model as that is currently the only electric articulated bus available that meets the NYMTA spec. BYD was not approved in the initial test evaluations along with Nova (HOWEVER, anything is subject to change). (Solicitation release in Q1 2018 for 15 Artics)

25 40-foot Diesel Buses (MTAB, Not Awarded)

275 40-foot Diesel-Hybrid Electric Buses (NYCT, Not Awarded)
10 60-foot Deisel-Hybrid Electric Buses (NYCT, Projected Award, awaiting press release)

50 45-foot Diesel Commuter Coaches (NYCT, Not Awarded, Solicitation release expected in Q2 2018)
257 45-foot Diesel Commuter Coaches (MTAB, Not Awarded, Solicitation release expected in Q2 2018)

53 60-foot Diesel Articulated Buses (MTAB, Projected Award, awaiting press release)

Will this mean that by 2019, all of the pre-2005 buses will be retired?

21 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Will this mean that by 2019, all of the pre-2005 buses will be retired?

all of the pre-2003s and that year are gone, some of the 2004s will stay. The 2004 CNG Orions are targeted for scrap, as well as the 5510-5769 (or whatever higher number it is at now since 5769 is scrapped). In this case, the high numbered bus would be 8754

The real surprise is that these orders will take out the first batch of hybrids, although those are now 15 years old. Is it just luck that Orions haven't lasted as long as other models, or was the Orion product inferior (given that some RTSs in service are 22 years old)? (Exclude CNGs as their tanks limited them.)

Also, what is expected to comprise the B82 SBS fleet, since about 17-20 buses will be needed for that?

10 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Also, what is expected to comprise the B82 SBS fleet, since about 17-20 buses will be needed for that?

I guess with a few spares that sounds like an accurate # to have on the 82. 

I'm also guessing that East New York will also take control with the local? 

12 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Is it just luck that Orions haven't lasted as long as other models, or was the Orion product inferior

I heard it was that Orion products are inferior, especialy the newer ones. For instance the 1999 Orion Vs had an accelerated retirement because of frame rot, whereas the majority of the 1998-1999 RTS are still doing decent/fine.

8 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I heard it was that Orion products are inferior, especialy the newer ones. For instance the 1999 Orion Vs had an accelerated retirement because of frame rot, whereas the majority of the 1998-1999 RTS are still doing decent/fine.

The RTS need to hurry and go just like every other older bus fleet.  Do you know how many times I’ve rode the RTS and rain seeps the emergency exit, it catches fire, the bus have to turn off and on because it can’t handle the passenger weight, and recently bell wasn’t working so the driver had to drive slow. I understand how popular the RTSs are among the forum but those buses lived long past their useful lives. I guess nycta and bus company have good maintainers but it’s time for those twenty year old buses to be scrapped. 

29 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The RTS need to hurry and go just like every other older bus fleet.  Do you know how many times I’ve rode the RTS and rain seeps the emergency exit, it catches fire, the bus have to turn off and on because it can’t handle the passenger weight, and recently bell wasn’t working so the driver had to drive slow. I understand how popular the RTSs are among the forum but those buses lived long past their useful lives. I guess nycta and bus company have good maintainers but it’s time for those twenty year old buses to be scrapped. 

Nearly every RTS I've been on as of late has been decent. Far from perfect in terms of cleanliness, but they ran without hiccups, held large crowds, and did a fine job of it, both the 1998-1999s and even the some of the 1996s. And even so, the whole point of that post was to say how bad the Orion Vs were in comparison to their RTS counterparts. It was in no way some advertisement of the RTS as some flawless bus, which it isn't. Nor is it some forum-inspired endorsement because I want to go all Camacho on them. Do i like the RTS? Yes, I do, but I choose to be realistic instead of saying they can last another 10 years and that they're some flawless bus. They're decent (NOT "great", NOT "good", NOT "perfect", but "DECENT") from my experience riding them on Quill, eastchester, LaGuardia, and JFK routes and were far better than the Orion Vs in terms of quality.

Archived