MTA express bus changes: New SIM9, South Shore extension and more

Lil 57

On 10/1/2018 at 4:50 PM, SIMplicity said:

And we need legislation allowing cameras on the front of the buses enforcing the bus lanes.

State law does allow cameras on the front (and on the back) of buses in a very limited fashion; it's restricted to a maximum of 16 (SBS) routes*.

Here's the law: https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-1111-c.html

* - Well, the law is intended to authorize cameras for SBS routes, but going by the letter of the law the MTA and DOT could choose to place cameras on up to 10 bus routes of any kind, including express routes. But of course, for every hypothetical local/limited/express route the MTA/DOT places cameras on, that's one less SBS route that can use the cameras. 

The law will automatically expire in 2020 if the state legislature does not renew it. If the presumably more mass transit-friendly Democrats can win control of the state senate next month maybe they and the state assembly could be convinced to expand the scope of the law once the time comes to discuss renewing it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. (Of course, if the Republicans retain control of the state senate, they could expand the law too, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.)

Edit: Almost forgot, there is a bill in the state legislature now that would allow the cameras to be used on every single bus route and repeal the end date of the program, but it was only introduced in both houses in May and didn't make any progress before the legislative session ended in June. So we have to wait and see if this bill is reintroduced next year and advances or dies. https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s8597 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@checkmatechamp13 has any of your contacts been able to explain why people are STILL waiting for an HOUR during rush hour for ONE express bus to show up??? One hour wait tonight during rush hour for a SIM2?? My contact at road ops should be back tomorrow, but I wrote to him a few days ago noting the need for a meeting ASAP. This is absurd that this continues to happen night after night.

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@checkmatechamp13 has any of your contacts been able to explain why people are STILL waiting for an HOUR during rush hour for ONE express bus to show up??? One hour wait tonight during rush hour for a SIM2?? My contact at road ops should be back tomorrow, but I wrote to him a few days ago noting the need for a meeting ASAP. This is absurd that this continues to happen night after night.

I was told there was a bus shortage. Something like 25 buses being out of service in Charleston and so the operators are showing up and not having a working bus available. (Can any bus operator on here confirm or deny this?) 

The person said to keep it on the down-low, but definitely make note of it for your conversation with Road Operations.

4 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I was told there was a bus shortage. Something like 25 buses being out of service in Charleston and so the operators are showing up and not having a working bus available. (Can any bus operator on here confirm or deny this?) 

The person said to keep it on the down-low, but definitely make note of it for your conversation with Road Operations.

Lol I highly doubt there is a shortage of 25. They would make service somehow if they had able workers there they would find some shitbox bus laying around or throw a local bus out there...

It is common though for having all the coach's out and due to traffic busses are late coming back so sometimes OPs will have to wait for a incoming bus to the depot. Usually not more than 10min before the dispatchers will figure out something alternative.

But a shortage of 25 no way....

I am not out of Charleston but I would of deff heard about that.

6 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Lol I highly doubt there is a shortage of 25. They would make service somehow if they had able workers there they would find some shitbox bus laying around or throw a local bus out there...

It is common though for having all the coach's out and due to traffic busses are late coming back so sometimes OPs will have to wait for a incoming bus to the depot. Usually not more than 10min before the dispatchers will figure out something alternative.

Do you think that Charleston would pull a Baisley (Local Buses on Express Routes) if they were short on express buses?

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Wow that’s just ridiculous. Not surprising, but ridiculous. I must’ve gotten lucky because I waited 20 minutes for the SIM2 at 5pm (still way too long, especially for the heart of rush hour) and the bus was full before even reaching the Rector St stop. Tons of people filed on, but the driver didn’t tell them there were no seats so they all turned around and got off except for 2 or 3 who decided to stand. Then the driver put up a Next Bus Please sign or something and didn’t stop at Battery Place (and the line there was really long, of course). I feel like it’s a possibility that that same trip around 5pm is running consistently late. Or maybe there’s a missing trip. There’s no semblance of a schedule sometimes with that route.

On October 7th the SIM2 isn’t getting a frequency boost in the PM rushexcept for one trip added around 3:20 and one trip added around 6:20. So they better fix this unreliability. This regular overcrowding and unreliability can’t continue. The SIM2 is one of the worst, but definitely not the only one. While I waited (and this is typical) there was a wave of like three SIM1s, then a gap after that.

4 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

Wow that’s just ridiculous. Not surprising, but ridiculous. I must’ve gotten lucky because I waited 20 minutes for the SIM2 at 5pm (still way too long, especially for the heart of rush hour) and the bus was full before even reaching the Rector St stop. Tons of people filed on, but the driver didn’t tell them there were no seats so they all turned around and got off except for 2 or 3 who decided to stand. Then the driver put up a Next Bus Please sign or something and didn’t stop at Battery Place (and the line there was really long, of course). I feel like it’s a possibility that that same trip around 5pm is running consistently late. Or maybe there’s a missing trip. There’s no semblance of a schedule sometimes with that route.

On October 7th the SIM2 isn’t getting a frequency boost in the PM rushexcept for one trip added around 3:20 and one trip added around 6:20. So they better fix this unreliability. This regular overcrowding and unreliability can’t continue. The SIM2 is one of the worst, but definitely not the only one. While I waited (and this is typical) there was a wave of like three SIM1s, then a gap after that.

What is happening right now is a disgrace and I want to consult with some people about suing this agency for the dangerous conditions riders are facing. People standing on the bus like this every single day on just about every line and it's been this way practically since day one. We are going to be coming up on two months since this service started... Something has to change. This is an outrage. I am hoping to hear from my contact at road ops tomorrow. I am trying to get a meeting ASAP to get some answers, but I will be speaking before the board about this again. Totally unacceptable.

1 hour ago, trife86 said:

Well then why can’t anybody explain why Staten Island express buses are having so many missing buses every day?  It’s one thing for them to be late, but an hour between buses? SomethIng is not adding up.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Are deadheads to Manhattan getting stuck in traffic or something? That's uh... extreme...

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

So why not send local buses in their place or borrow buses from other depots?

49 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So why not send local buses in their place or borrow buses from other depots?

I didn't really want to chime into this. However, this boils down to not ordering enough express buses. After the big order of 2015/2016 there should of been another order for at the least 2018. I mean 25 buses isn't a big deal. However, when you have missing buses than that's a problem.

The notion of having local buses on express bus routes. Yes, it's been done in the past. But, I wouldn't want to be the person to board an Staten Island  local LFSA or NG bus going through the VZ into Staten Island or a Queens NG or LFSA on the Queensborough Bridge and or Midtown Tunnel for LIE access + paying $6.50 with the possibility of paying $7.00 or 7.25. I digress. Those buses are capped at 40 to 50 MPH. Not suitable for express operation.

Borrow from other depots: Ulmer Park, Queens Village need their buses. Queens Village already gave 2 buses away to Charleston and possibly may have to give more out.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Are deadheads to Manhattan getting stuck in traffic or something? That's uh... extreme...

I'm not really sure since checkmate and his folks were working on this. I'm trying to get answers because it isn't just on Staten Island. I have folks on the X27/X37 complaining about daily overcrowding, with photos to prove it. On top of that, yesterday someone posted a photo of a Prevost in Bay Ridge in service with NO AC during rush hour with a sign at the front saying that the "overhead fans were dead". The question is why are buses that are six years old tops in such horrible shape, and further more, why is this bus in service when maintenance should've known about the HVAC not working? It isn't the first time this has happened either. Earlier this year on a weekend I took an X28 that had no AC. I found a spot that had a little air and stayed there but the back was a complete sauna. Senator Golden has agreed to work with us to try to resolve the issues in Bay Ridge and along the X28/X38 since he covers part of those lines. I'm waiting for my contact but if he doesn't respond soon, I'm going directly to Byford for answers and will be showing these photos before the board later this month.

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

One of the issues brought up is that (apparently) they're only given about 75 minutes to deadhead from Yukon to Central Park South. Not sure how much time is given for Downtown buses, but the lack of deadhead time is likely a contributing factor.

What we've been doing is trying to convince them from a financial point of view why it makes sense to just add the appropriate deadhead time. If the driver is coming off a split shift (the swing is paid at half-pay), then the extra cost of having the driver leave early is just the other half of the hourly rate. But if the B/O is delayed, then they get time-and-a-half for the delay, plus another half bonus for any time over 11 hours. But that's been more of a focus for the others in the group (I'm focusing more on the spans and frequencies, as well as the physical routes). 

25 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

One of the issues brought up is that (apparently) they're only given about 75 minutes to deadhead from Yukon to Central Park South. Not sure how much time is given for Downtown buses, but the lack of deadhead time is likely a contributing factor.

What we've been doing is trying to convince them from a financial point of view why it makes sense to just add the appropriate deadhead time. If the driver is coming off a split shift (the swing is paid at half-pay), then the extra cost of having the driver leave early is just the other half of the hourly rate. But if the B/O is delayed, then they get time-and-a-half for the delay, plus another half bonus for any time over 11 hours. But that's been more of a focus for the others in the group (I'm focusing more on the spans and frequencies, as well as the physical routes). 

75 minutes is nothing. Makes sense that so many of them are late or missing. 

47 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Also next time bring up the deadhead route.  The official deadhead to CPS coming out of the tunnel  is west side - 10th ave - 50th - 6th Ave - turn onto CPS.

Some guys don't follow it to save time. But the ones that do follow it need at least 30min extra on peak hours. 10th Ave is not very fun.

Also when it comes to time and a half rate it doesn't work exactly as you described.

We get time and a half when our vehicle time is over 8 hours. (Some days might be over the span of say 9 hours but only 7 in the vehicle) and in that case you might only make straight time until you get 8 hours vehicle.

You are correct with the 11 hour rule though.

I made a quick post summarizing the spans and frequencies and the issues that remain (I may have missed a few): http://checkmatechamp1.blogspot.com/2018/10/spans-frequencies-effective-october-7th.html

Thinking about it again, what may be better than adding a 2:50pm SIM35 (since the SIM3C & SIM15 cover Concord around that time, and Port Richmond riders can take the SIM34 to the S44/59 if they're in a hurry to get home) might be adding a 3:20pm SIM30 from West Midtown. There were times I would take the X17J around 4pm from 42nd & 8th, and a small group of people would transfer to the local bus to head up to Forest & Richmond (at the time, the first X30 from there was 4:26pm and now it's 4:18pm, barely a difference though at least they added a couple of later buses). Granted, if you miss that first SIM30 you might have to make that transfer anyway if you're in a rush, but at least you have the earlier option if you can work around it. (Also, the SIM8/X17J doesn't go any further east than Richmond Avenue as far as local bus connections go)

Honestly, with the way they were hyping everything up about the spans all being longer, they should really stick to that. They say most routes will run 5-9am and 3-7pm, but I really don't see a reason why that shouldn't apply to all routes. (Maybe something like the SIM3 starting at 3:10pm or the SIM35 starting at 3:20pm is worth letting slide, since those are still earlier than the X14 from Downtown and the X42 from Midtown, but 3:50pm is way too late for the first bus to leave the Midtown terminal and not even be leaving Manhattan yet). The SIM4X/8X are a different story since you still have the regular SIM4/8.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Or just make the schedules realistic and pay us properly.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

75 minutes is nothing. Makes sense that so many of them are late or missing. 

It's really like everything got worse on Aug 19th. Lights, traffic, everything. We do get 75 mins to Midtown (from Yukon), and 45 to Downtown. 45 mins is barely enough as of late. I leave 10 mins early and lose that on the highway. The other part of the problem is that some trips are interlined off an inbound trip. For example, my second half was a 4C in and a 10 out, with 20 mins recovery. Trip wasn't bad heading in but I still lost the time. Sat at the park with 5 mins left. The 1Cs have it much worse, going up 6th Ave.

1 hour ago, trife86 said:

Also next time bring up the deadhead route.  The official deadhead to CPS coming out of the tunnel  is west side - 10th ave - 50th - 6th Ave - turn onto CPS.

Some guys don't follow it to save time. But the ones that do follow it need at least 30min extra on peak hours. 10th Ave is not very fun.

Nobody proofread those route instructions bro. Since when the 6 go to Frankfort Street? LOL. Going up West Side hasn't been any better than going up the FDR, as of late. The first week of the pick, I did both and they were both horrible. We get no help rolling through the streets. Like I shouldn't be fighting a cop in a car trying to get a lane change in. Useless like everyone else. Nobody's helping with gridlock on intersecting streets (and it's all the East to West streets!!) Bail from the bus lane, fight traffic to get over, then hopefully clear the car in the intersection and clear the crosswalk before the light change and the peds start crossing. (Because they don't care either)

Meanwhile, the Mercedes and the taxis just blaze in and out of the bus lane getting away scotch free.

14 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Or just make the schedules realistic and pay us properly.

It's really like everything got worse on Aug 19th. Lights, traffic, everything. We do get 75 mins to Midtown (from Yukon), and 45 to Downtown. 45 mins is barely enough as of late. I leave 10 mins early and lose that on the highway. The other part of the problem is that some trips are interlined off an inbound trip. For example, my second half was a 4C in and a 10 out, with 20 mins recovery. Trip wasn't bad heading in but I still lost the time. Sat at the park with 5 mins left. The 1Cs have it much worse, going up 6th Ave.

Nobody proofread those route instructions bro. Since when the 6 go to Frankfort Street? LOL. Going up West Side hasn't been any better than going up the FDR, as of late. The first week of the pick, I did both and they were both horrible. We get no help rolling through the streets. Like I shouldn't be fighting a cop in a car trying to get a lane change in. Useless like everyone else. Nobody's helping with gridlock on intersecting streets (and it's all the East to West streets!!) Bail from the bus lane, fight traffic to get over, then hopefully clear the car in the intersection and clear the crosswalk before the light change and the peds start crossing. (Because they don't care either)

Meanwhile, the Mercedes and the taxis just blaze in and out of the bus lane getting away scotch free.

I know. I've been observing the bus lanes on 5th and Madison regularly, and it's absurd.  This is one of the main reasons why this is failing. You see the (MTA) and the DOT thought, OH we have these wonderful bus lanes, so the buses will just move nicely down them. Well there hasn't been any enforcement to speak of which is why I was on Polly Trottenberg at the last MTA Board meeting and she is going to get it again this month.  The City isn't doing a damn thing to deal with congestion and they don't care, and I want to expose her for not giving a damn because the DOT controls the City streets, as a Commissioner of the DOT she has done very little to tackle the problem. I had no idea that there were even bus lanes on 6th Avenue until I was crossing one day and looked carefully and saw the worn out sign, and even on 5th and Madison where the lanes are marked, it makes no difference. They had a traffic blitz the other morning. One NYPD traffic car blocking one bus lane entirely with his sirens on while cars sit blocking the box on the side streets which then blocks BOTH bus lanes, so how is that helping the buses move?  Meanwhile two blocks north of this, you had cars STILL sitting in the bus lanes.  All they do is run back into the car lanes when they see the cops coming. We need real enforcement and tickets being given in real time daily.

Just about every single night going home now, if I take the BxM2 along 6th Avenue, every time I have to step into the street because some car is sitting in the bus stop for extended periods of time.  The real reason is we have too many for hire cars on the streets and while the TLC put a cap on them it's too late because they are flooding the streets. If you pay attention carefully, you see nothing but black cars.  They are all for-hire vehicles, and believe me I know because, a few weeks ago I used Uber for a meeting.  I messed around with the app to see just how many cars were near me, and I had my choice of at least four different cars within minutes of where I was. It's ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I know. I've been observing the bus lanes on 5th and Madison regularly, and it's absurd.  This is one of the main reasons why this is failing. You see the (MTA) and the DOT thought, OH we have these wonderful bus lanes, so the buses will just move nicely down them. Well there hasn't been any enforcement to speak of which is why I was on Polly Trottenberg at the last MTA Board meeting and she is going to get it again this month.  The City isn't doing a damn thing to deal with congestion and they don't care, and I want to expose her for not giving a damn because the DOT controls the City streets, as a Commissioner of the DOT she has done very little to tackle the problem. I had no idea that there were even bus lanes on 6th Avenue until I was crossing one day and looked carefully and saw the worn out sign, and even on 5th and Madison where the lanes are marked, it makes no difference. They had a traffic blitz the other morning. One NYPD traffic car blocking one bus lane entirely with his sirens on while cars sit blocking the box on the side streets which then blocks BOTH bus lanes, so how is that helping the buses move?  Meanwhile two blocks north of this, you had cars STILL sitting in the bus lanes.  All they do is run back into the car lanes when they see the cops coming. We need real enforcement and tickets being given in real time daily.

Just about every single night going home now, if I take the BxM2 along 6th Avenue, every time I have to step into the street because some car is sitting in the bus stop for extended periods of time.  The real reason is we have too many for hire cars on the streets and while the TLC put a cap on them it's too late because they are flooding the streets. If you pay attention carefully, you see nothing but black cars.  They are all for-hire vehicles, and believe me I know because, a few weeks ago I used Uber for a meeting.  I messed around with the app to see just how many cars were near me, and I had my choice of at least four different cars within minutes of where I was. It's ridiculous.

We need to bring back photo enforcement. Yellow cab dropping off a passenger in the bus stop (no prob) but doesn't want to move up and out the way. If the passenger was getting out, cool but dude is just sitting there. He gets boxed in, I take the front and another bus gets the back. He was stuck for maybe 2-3 light cycles; my bus got packed out at that stop. THEN he has the nerve to stay there after I pull off knowing there's a bus behind him and THEN THEN has the nerve to ride the bus lane at speed for 3+ blocks. Everyone getting away with capital murder but when we mess up, it's national news. Shit is unheard of in other cities.

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

We need to bring back photo enforcement. Yellow cab dropping off a passenger in the bus stop (no prob) but doesn't want to move up and out the way. If the passenger was getting out, cool but dude is just sitting there. He gets boxed in, I take the front and another bus gets the back. He was stuck for maybe 2-3 light cycles; my bus got packed out at that stop. THEN he has the nerve to stay there after I pull off knowing there's a bus behind him and THEN THEN has the nerve to ride the bus lane at speed for 3+ blocks. Everyone getting away with capital murder but when we mess up, it's national news. Shit is unheard of in other cities.

Oh I know. I see it along various bus corridors here. They need to start fining these cabbies. They have no respect for the bus lanes at all, and they will cut right into them acting as if they are turning on the next block, which is the only time they should be in them.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh I know. I see it along various bus corridors here. They need to start fining these cabbies. They have no respect for the bus lanes at all, and they will cut right into them acting as if they are turning on the next block, which is the only time they should be in them.

Even to which, they mess up. This was my 10 trip earlier. I'll be dead on Tuesday from holding my breath.

16 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Even to which, they mess up. This was my 10 trip earlier. I'll be dead on Tuesday from holding my breath.

I reached out to Mr. Byford this morning, as well as my contacts at road ops showing them some of the photos that people have been posting on my Express Bus Advocacy Group Page.  This overcrowding situation on Staten Island is a daily occurrence on just about every line.  That's how you know there is a problem, and while they can say that they have more runs under this system than the previous one, it doesn't matter because there are such huge gaps in service, that passengers are not benefiting at all.  I've had a few B/Os join my Advocacy Group and I was chatting with some of them who really feel for the passengers. In fact they all have.  We all know that the old routes needed to be changed no question, but everything has been planned so poorly, from the horrendous placement of the new bus stops in areas that make absolutely no sense, forcing people to drive that previously walked, to having several buses stopping at one bus stop causing more back-ups and congestion, to the horrible schedules in terms of run time and dead head time, to having too many buses down 5th (originally) and on and on.  The DOT is just exacerbating this problem even further.  

I am extremely concerned about what they're going to do with the other boroughs, and as much as Byford has been pushing a customer first policy at the (MTA) , if you're a rider right now, you really cannot have much faith in anything that this agency says when you are standing for upwards of an hour for a bus hoping you can get on when several should've come during rush hour, and then standing for your entire commute, not including any transfers or anything before or after the bus ride, and you have people that are disabled that cannot stand for long periods of time, hence why they use the express bus in the first place.  I've actually reached out to a disabled express bus rider who is part of an advocacy group and I'm inquiring with her about a few things that I think are huge problems from a liability standpoint.  There are a lot of people that are disabled that cannot understand how the (MTA) has been able to eliminate these stops and allow people with such health conditions to have to struggle to get to these bus stops, and I wonder as well. It doesn't all add up, that's for sure.  Definitely going to be talking to a lot of people in the coming weeks and months.  My mailbox has been filling as I try to get everything together, but it's very time consuming. The riders don't understand it but this is a long grueling process that will take a long time to fix.  I honestly don't think this will be resolved even once the pick happens in January of next year. That's what my gut tells me given how things have gone.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

How did the AM rush go with the "SIM" changes today?

Went very smooth, and people liked the SIM9 so far, BUT its Columbus Day so not everyone is working and there's no traffic, Google Maps showed all roads and highways bright green. We're gonna have to see tomorrow and Wednesday what the real test is. 

Archived