Sarah Fienberg: the president that makes you walk to another station instead of giving courtesy passes

She's a f**king tool; completely out of touch with the harsh reality that regular commuters (in other words: people other than herself) have to face.

The sad truth is that getting around anywhere in this country on public transportation, when something goes wrong, too often ends up resembling that comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Edited by R10 2952

I’ve had something similar happen to me at Jamaica Center a few weeks ago. None of the machines at the 153rd street nor Parsons Blvd entrance were accepting debit cards and I had $2 in cash so I had to go to Sutphin Blvd in order to fill up my card.

Sarah’s response was so unprofessional especially for the position she holds. She basically was implying that it was Claytons fault for not having enough sense to walk to another station instead of complaining. However no one should have to do that but it is not uncommon to go into a station and all the metrocard machines are no working correcting. It is the MTA’s job to make sure that their machines are working so Sarah shouldn’t be mad at Clayton. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

12 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Yikes. I hope Mrs. Feinberg is aware of the fact that not all New Yorkers have the luxury of walking to another station. Even if there is a station nearby, it makes no sense to get on the wrong subway line and whatnot. 

Exactly. Imagine if you were getting on at Flushing - Main St or Howard Beach lol. I miss Byford even more now since he would've probably asked for the station with the defective machines or apologized and talked about how they're trying to push through with OMNY to reassure riders :(

16 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Yikes. I hope Mrs. Feinberg is aware of the fact that not all New Yorkers have the luxury of walking to another station. Even if there is a station nearby, it makes no sense to get on the wrong subway line and whatnot. 

Exactly, one can be going to work and they may need the express train and her solution would be to walk to a local station and then transfer to an express which waste a lot of time. The boss doesn’t want to hear that excuse. 

3 hours ago, F O O L said:

Exactly. Imagine if you were getting on at Flushing - Main St or Howard Beach lol. I miss Byford even more now since he would've probably asked for the station with the defective machines or apologized and talked about how they're trying to push through with OMNY to reassure riders :(

I didn’t even think of that, but better yet can you imagine if you were one of the few souls to use the Broad Channel Station on the (A) . 

I'm on neither person's side here (although Feinberg's comment as an acting president of a public transportation agency making those remarks are more egregious).... You might want to clap back at Guse, but you still have to remember you don't only represent yourself, but the entire agency as well.... She might personally feel that way, but you don't explicitly put it out to the public that they should just walk it out (as if everyone has the same (feasible) levels of mobility or something)... Comes off as insensitive.... You make a statement along the lines of being more proactive when it comes to the upkeep of the MVM's, not backhandedly trying to pass the buck to the very riding public you're trying to maintain and attract with your services !!

As a journalist, for duck duck Guse to hint at committing a crime in front of the cops is irresponsible as f*** also... Given the situation, it seems to me that he was trying to slyly pass off turnstile jumping by virtue signaling (as if to say, when there's insufficient funds on your card & you don't have hard cash on ya, it's perfectly permissible to hop the turnstile)....

The world doesn't owe you anything & I find that too many people's first inclination is to look for a handout.... Being that I always carry 2 metrocards, have hard cash on me, and pay some level of attention to (about) how much I have on my metrocards, I have never been in that position he was in....

21 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sarah’s response was so unprofessional especially for the position she holds. She basically was implying that it was Claytons fault for not having enough sense to walk to another station instead of complaining. However no one should have to do that but it is not uncommon to go into a station and all the metrocard machines are no working correcting. It is the MTA’s job to make sure that their machines are working so Sarah shouldn’t be mad at Clayton. 

AFAIC, where she went wrong is (indirectly) suggesting what the public should do in such a situation - even though it was particularly aimed at Mother Guse.... Put your personal feelings aside.... This is transparency gone wrong & it's of no surprise that she's getting pushback for that tweet of hers.....

17 hours ago, Lex said:

II think I'd care a lot more if it hadn't been the Guse...

Lol.... Although I don't particularly care for the MF-er either, my assessment of this situation would be consistent, regardless of who it was...

Edited by B35 via Church

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Being that I always carry 2 metrocards, have hard cash on me, and pay some level of attention to (about) how much I have on my metrocards, I have never been in that position he was in....

7 years a resident Alas an adult, 20+ of visits even when tokens were a thing and I can count on one finger the times I fare jumped - it was me walking behind a tourist at BG downtown-side and swiped my unlimited right after he swiped his PPR before either of us noticed his didn’t unlock the turnstile.

He went through on my swipe, and I wasn’t waiting 18 minutes nor paying twice.

Dassit.

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol.... Although I don't particularly care for the MF-er either, my assessment of this situation would be consistent, regardless of who it was...

I really can't say you're wrong about that.

(As an aside, this statement reminded me of Kyle Kulinski's own statements about consistency.)

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

7 years a resident Alas an adult, 20+ of visits even when tokens were a thing and I can count on one finger the times I fare jumped - it was me walking behind a tourist at BG downtown-side and swiped my unlimited right after he swiped his PPR before either of us noticed his didn’t unlock the turnstile.

Dassit.

I don't like the idea of getting caught on camera doing something I'm not supposed to be doing; I'm not one of these people that can talk their way out of a paper bag (so to speak)... Couple that with seeing (in-person) 3 separate instances/incidents of farebeaters getting seriously injured, it's enough of a deterrent for me.... For the hell of it:

1st time was in high school - Brighton Beach station... dude almost busted his head smooth open trying to hop the turnstile, trying to escape truancy (this doesn't help when you're a lanky kid well over 6 feet... idiot).... Result of this was dude started leaking (bleeding) & eventually lost consciousness... Not that I did before the fact, but it was from then on in that I'm never hopping any turnstile (I believe I was a junior at the time)....

2nd time was when I had night classes in college - coming home, 34th st on the 7th av line (to be specific, those turnstiles way in the back of the station, just past that old diner/restaurant, or whatever the hell that was back there)... While I'm not sure what dude was running for/from, it looked like he was indecisively caught between sliding under the turnstile & hopping it... Last/split second decision had him hopping it - his feet never cleared the part of the turnstile you push, and on top of it, his head hit the top of the structure.. The result of all that was he faceplanted & was bleeding profusely - if he died on the spot, I couldn't tell you, because I didn't stay around to find out...

Most recent time was (I wanna say around) 2015/16... Don't feel like digging through my logs for the exact date, but I was coming back from a NJ fantrip... I still wish I hadn'ta have done this (for other reasons), but instead of staying on the (Q) from TSQ to Church, I got off at Dekalb (to ride 2 more buses, to make it an even 20 buses I embarked upon that day... The idea was to ride the full B41, to xfer to the B46 to get home)... Anyway, It looked like these kids (teens) was coming home from some sort of practice or something... They were horseplaying (4 of them)... Long story short, they all baseball slid under separate turnstiles... 3 of them did, uninjured.. One of the kids however, apparently got knocked unconscious doing that shit... Guess he didn't get his head low enough... Don't know, don't care - stupid begets stupid.... Potential Darwin award nominee....

39 minutes ago, Lex said:

I really can't say you're wrong about that.

(As an aside, this statement reminded me of Kyle Kulinski's own statements about consistency.)

No clue who that is, fam,...

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Dassit.

There has been a few times where I swiped my card and it would say “go” but the turnstile wouldn’t move. So I would swipe again thinking that it would allow me to go then but it would just say “Just Used”. Most of the time I would wait it out, annoyed of course. However this one time I was running late to class so I had decided to hop it cause I couldn’t afford to wait and I banged my leg on turnstile bar. Let me tell you, that pain is serious!  

36 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

There has been a few times where I swiped my card and it would say “go” but the turnstile wouldn’t move. So I would swipe again thinking that it would allow me to go then but it would just say “Just Used”. Most of the time I would wait it out, annoyed of course. However this one time I was running late to class so I had decided to hop it cause I couldn’t afford to wait and I banged my leg on turnstile bar. Let me tell you, that pain is serious!  

The year is 1975. The place is Jay St Station, Brooklyn. The goal: catching the Far Rock (A) Train.

A young lady who had my nose open lived on Bch Chnl Dr while I resided on Sumner btn Greene & Lex. Didn't have a job, Pops wasn't coming off the couple bucks I was desperate for. Sooo...genius me walked to Myrtle and back doored the B54. No problem. Now for the subway. With no orange transfer slip from the B/O, I looked for and found a similar colored piece of paper, shaped it into a reasonable looking transfer and dropped it into the box. I was grabbed 10 feet later by a Transit "Dick" (old fashion slang for plain clothes cop) and stuffed into a bathroom with about 15 other poor slobs. Hours later we're standing in front the the judge on Schermerhorn St being sentenced. 6 months suspended if we keep our nose clean. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I must be the luckiest person in the world or something, because the range of metrocard problems I've read about on this forum over the years, I don't be having....

That's a new one I've never heard before - you swipe, the display says go, but the turnstile doesn't move? Wow.....

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

when this happens to me, i go to the token booth and tell them my situation. usually they unlock the gate

7 hours ago, TeeLow said:

The year is 1975. The place is Jay St Station, Brooklyn. The goal: catching the Far Rock (A) Train.

A young lady who had my nose open lived on Bch Chnl Dr while I resided on Sumner btn Greene & Lex. Didn't have a job, Pops wasn't coming off the couple bucks I was desperate for. Sooo...genius me walked to Myrtle and back doored the B54. No problem. Now for the subway. With no orange transfer slip from the B/O, I looked for and found a similar colored piece of paper, shaped it into a reasonable looking transfer and dropped it into the box. I was grabbed 10 feet later by a Transit "Dick" (old fashion slang for plain clothes cop) and stuffed into a bathroom with about 15 other poor slobs. Hours later we're standing in front the the judge on Schermerhorn St being sentenced. 6 months suspended if we keep our nose clean. Lesson learned.

Similar thing happened to me and one of my friends one Halloween, albeit 30 years later.  Became a real pain in the ass afterwards because we were forced to disclose it whenever applying for public sector (civil service) jobs- this was before the whole "ban the box" movement.  Not worth the hassle, and certainly not worth the potential lost job opportunities.  Never again.

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I must be the luckiest person in the world or something, because the range of metrocard problems I've read about on this forum over the years, I don't be having....

That's a new one I've never heard before - you swipe, the display says go, but the turnstile doesn't move? Wow.....

Right? In my 9 years of using the NYCT Subway system I have never once had a metrocard problem.

I encounter more problems on the bus then I do on the subway!

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Right? In my 9 years of using the NYCT Subway system I have never once had a metrocard problem.

I encounter more problems on the bus then I do on the subway!

It's crazy... I'm not easily surprised by most things, but that one got me.

Anyway, yeah, so do I - but to be fair though (for my situation, not yours), I use the bus WAY more often than I use the subway :lol:... Biased sample (size).

6 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Similar thing happened to me and one of my friends one Halloween, albeit 30 years later.  Became a real pain in the ass afterwards because we were forced to disclose it whenever applying for public sector (civil service) jobs- this was before the whole "ban the box" movement.  Not worth the hassle, and certainly not worth the potential lost job opportunities.  Never again.

Yep! Each DCAS or Transit qualifying hearing they'd make me go to Adjudication to find the disposition of a case that no longer was on the books.

50 minutes ago, TeeLow said:

Yep! Each DCAS or Transit qualifying hearing they'd make me go to Adjudication to find the disposition of a case that no longer was on the books.

Exactly, just goes to show how messed up our "justice" system in America has really been all this time.  It's not the kind of mistake that should be following someone around for X amount of years, especially when a person has no priors (just my 2 cents from personal experience).

Edited by R10 2952

On 8/18/2020 at 12:37 AM, B35 via Church said:

This used to happen all the time back in the day at Grand St for me.

Personally, this is why I like the token booth operators still being in place. That, and the fact that a token booth operator won't munch down my Metrocard the way some MVMs do.