E Train Jamaica Reconstruction

checkmatechamp13

Starting in mid-September until sometime in November there will be no (E) service at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Avenue or Parsons Blvd/Archer Avenue. Trains will terminate at Jamaica Van Wyck, with some trains running to 179th Street during peak hours. Cross-honoring will be in effect at SE Queens LIRR stations, and free shuttle buses will run between Jamaica Center and Jamaica Van Wyck.

Whats the point of even running the (E) to Van Wyck? Just run it to 179th St and call it a day.

Also i just noticed that for the next month on weekends the (E) won't even be the (E) at that point, it'll run between Van Wyck (or 179th St) to Essex...its basically an (F) ...

Edited by Lawrence St

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Whats the point of even running the (E) to Van Wyck? Just run it to 179th St and call it a day.

Also i just noticed that for the next month on weekends the (E) won't even be the (E) at that point, it'll run between Van Wyck (or 179th St) to Essex...its basically an (F) ...

Excuse me?

You forget that Jamaica Hospital is literally right at the station?

That station alone is a relatively high ridership station(not as high as Sutphin or Jamaica Center, obviously) and a lot of hospital employees use it. It also connects with the Q24, Q54 and Q56.

Edited by Cait Sith

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought the same thing Until I realized that Q24, Q54, Q56 and Jamaica Hospital all exist. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Excuse me?

You forget that Jamaica Hospital is literally right at the station?

That station alone is a relatively high ridership station(not as high as Sutphin or Jamaica Center, obviously) and a lot of hospital employees use it. It also connects with the Q24, Q54 and Q56.

That I did not know, thanks for informing me.

I partially believe that the Jamaica Van-Wyck terminal was consider due to the covid-19 situation, as you do not want to make it difficult to get to/from Jamaica Hospital. Under normal times, I do believe that they would have just ran all (E) trains to 179th Street and ran the shuttle buses from Union Turnpike. 

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Why did they exclude Woodside from the list of LIRR stations that they're cross-honoring?

Woodside isn't near an (E) train station, while Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, and Jamaica are.  The SE Queens stations and Kew Gardens also are served by buses that feed into the (E) . 

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I partially believe that the Jamaica Van-Wyck terminal was consider due to the covid-19 situation, as you do not want to make it difficult to get to/from Jamaica Hospital. Under normal times, I do believe that they would have just ran all (E) trains to 179th Street and ran the shuttle buses from Union Turnpike. 

With the Current headways now it could work with all the Echoes going to 179..

When the Fox goes "normal" it most likely wont work...

Also as another poster stated Jamaica Hospital is right on top of the station.

So service is needed.

18 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Starting in mid-September until sometime in November there will be no (E) service at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Avenue or Parsons Blvd/Archer Avenue. Trains will terminate at Jamaica Van Wyck, with some trains running to 179th Street during peak hours. Cross-honoring will be in effect at SE Queens LIRR stations, and free shuttle buses will run between Jamaica Center and Jamaica Van Wyck.

Most of the traffic coming in from Parsons (and a large number from Sutphin) are transferring from bus.  A big help of some sort would be a rerouting of some of those buses to serve Jamaica/Van Wyck or a nearby (F) station along Hillside.  That could reduce the demand for the shuttle buses enough to make this workable.

13 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Woodside isn't near an (E) train station, while Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, and Jamaica are.  The SE Queens stations and Kew Gardens also are served by buses that feed into the (E) . 

What about those trying to get to the AirTrain? 

Tbh the conductors can't really enforce the fare between Woodside and Jamaica or Penn so this is definitely being abused either way.

Edited by danielhg121

On 9/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, danielhg121 said:

Tbh the conductors can't really enforce the fare between Woodside and Jamaica or Penn so this is definitely being abused either way.

? E/B they usually finish collecting tickets by the time the train gets to Harold Interlocking. W/B they usually sweep the entire train before it gets to Kew Gardens. I rode between Jamaica and NYP many times over the years and my ticket was always checked, only way to farebeat is if you hide in the bathroom or something lol

More information relating towards where (E) trains will run during this reconstruction :

JAMAICA (E) TRACK RECONSTRUCTION   
Beginning September 18, Friday at 11:45 PM until November 2, Monday at 1 AM
 No (E) service at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av-JFK and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer 

Weekday service:
(E) trains run between World Trade Center and the Jamaica-179 St (F) station, or the Jamaica-Van Wyck (E) station, the last stop. 

(E) trains running to/from Jamaica-179 St will run local between 71 Av and 179 St. 

After 9:30 PM each weeknight, the last stop for all (E) trains will be Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Weekend service:
All (E) trains run between World Trade Center and Jamaica-Van Wyck, the last stop. 
• Transfer between (E) and (F) trains at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:12 AM, Maxwell179 said:

More information relating towards where (E) trains will run during this reconstruction :

JAMAICA (E) TRACK RECONSTRUCTION   
Beginning September 18, Friday at 11:45 PM until November 2, Monday at 1 AM
 No (E) service at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av-JFK and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer 

Weekday service:
(E) trains run between World Trade Center and the Jamaica-179 St (F) station, or the Jamaica-Van Wyck (E) station, the last stop. 

(E) trains running to/from Jamaica-179 St will run local between 71 Av and 179 St. 

After 9:30 PM each weeknight, the last stop for all (E) trains will be Jamaica-Van Wyck.

Weekend service:
All (E) trains run between World Trade Center and Jamaica-Van Wyck, the last stop. 
• Transfer between (E) and (F) trains at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke.

Darn I was hoping to get some (E) express action along Hillside Ave, but this will be an interesting service change. 

I know track work is being done with this project, but wasn’t there also plans of the MTA rehabbing Sutphin Blvd/Archer Ave in the future as well? 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Darn I was hoping to get some (E) express action along Hillside Ave, but this will be an interesting service change. 

I know track work is being done with this project, but wasn’t there also plans of the MTA rehabbing Sutphin Blvd/Archer Ave in the future as well? 

I mean.. you can do that during the morning and afternoon hours on any day of the week. 

On 9/5/2020 at 10:29 AM, danielhg121 said:

Personally speaking, the conductors don't really use seat checks in between those two, it's more of a flash it once deal. I should've specified, it'll be abused by Metrocard holders a lot. Fare-free and a fast ride? That's a good deal. 

So this means I can get on the LIRR at any of those stations and just take the train for free into Penn? 

The MTA should really use this as an opportunity to highlight how fast and comfortable the ride is, and get more riders to switch to the LIRR's underused capacity, just like with the Atlantic Ticket. This could be a "loss leader " that ultimately gets more LIRR riders

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

So this means I can get on the LIRR at any of those stations and just take the train for free into Penn? 

The MTA should really use this as an opportunity to highlight how fast and comfortable the ride is, and get more riders to switch to the LIRR's underused capacity, just like with the Atlantic Ticket. This could be a "loss leader " that ultimately gets more LIRR riders

What it really means is that the fare structure of commuter rail needs to be thought through very carefully in order to siphon some riders off the overcrowded subways in areas within the city.  If the fare for travel on LIRR or MNRR within the city were reduced (ideally to the subway/bus fare) and a free transfer to buses/subways were provided, the MTA could better utilize some of the existing capacity along these lines

Many transit advocates in Chicago support something like this along their Metra Electric line:  

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2016/01/14/south-side-groups-make-the-metra-electric-run-like-the-cta-l/

The proposal makes a lot of sense in Chicago because it is the only commuter line with 4 tracks and electric infrastructure.  Plus it is isolated from most of the other commuter lines that emanate from the West Loop train stations (Ogilvie, Union).  The ME runs through museums, U of Chicago, and other points of interest as well as going through a heavily transit dependent neighborhood.  It certainly makes sense to at least explore the option rather than commit to an expensive capital project to extend the red line.

Something like this is a no-brainer to improve service along the Atlantic branch of LIRR.  It can probably help most Queens and Bronx commuter stations as well.

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yea, just be sure that you're carrying a Metrocard with you. Doesn't even need to have fare on it as they can't even check that. I don't know if it's an old railroad law but you just need one to show you intended to use the subway. 

They should advertise the service but I'll admit the fares between Zone 1 and Zone 3 are quite steep. $7.75 off-peak just to travel to Jamaica (...or Flushing for that matter) is insane. $10.75 peak is a non-starter for me. If you rode from Little Neck (which is still in Zone 3 btw), it would be a lot more bang for your buck. It seems that intra-city riders get punished for using the RR.

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Yea, just be sure that you're carrying a Metrocard with you. Doesn't even need to have fare on it as they can't even check that. I don't know if it's an old railroad law but you just need one to show you intended to use the subway. 

They should advertise the service but I'll admit the fares between Zone 1 and Zone 3 are quite steep. $7.75 off-peak just to travel to Jamaica (...or Flushing for that matter) is insane. $10.75 peak is a non-starter for me. If you rode from Little Neck (which is still in Zone 3 btw), it would be a lot more bang for your buck. It seems that intra-city riders get punished for using the RR.

Totally agree. When they tried out Atlantic ticket, even with a reduced fare the MTA ended up making money off of it because there were more riders, and they didn't need to add any service. It's almost a no-brainer to maximize existing intra-city capacity, so naturally it takes the MTA years and years to realize that ;)