Slants on the (A)

trainspot12

The slants were pulled off of the A in the middle of the hell years to reduce their exposure to salt in the air out over the bay & rockaways. I expect their return to the A signifies that they are soon to be EOL, but in the best shape out of the original R40 fleet. You folks should see if you can get some shots at JFK station & far rockaway!

- A

hey what do you mean by EOL? and yeah, like for real the slant i saw wasnt even in bad shape at all...it ran fine and the insides of r40s i think are so clean and neat...why r they retiring the beautiful slants, and the dam titanic looking like r38s are still there..so sad:o:(

EOL means End OF Life. This means the product be it a rail car or a piano has seen its last day in action and will be disposed of, or in some cases where possible restored or changed to something else. EOL rail fleet has 3 usual options. One is that it can be converted into a work car which sees WAY less use and action than an in service rail car These can include crew shelter cars, crane cars, flat top, and other types of functional roles. Another option is to convert it into something else entirely. Examples of this are the metroliners, which used to be EMU, but are now push/pull cab cars. The final option is just that, they are dismantled, either with dignity, or with a torch into little pieces and recycled. Sometimes pieces are re-used on other similar cars.

In rare cases EOL rail fleet can be put into a far less demanding line of work and remain basically unchanged. Examples of this are the scenic steam lines, museum pieces around the country, and the comet 1 which now only sees action for a few hours a day and have been lightly retrofitted (in areas passengers would likely never notice such as the truck support bearings) to safely last a bit longer in service.

- A

You guys and gals can take all the pics to your heart's content as the Lefferts consist is laid up at 104th St/Oxford. Should be there till about 10AM-11AM before it's pulled for service.

And some of the cars on its bullets are still signed up for the (:(

I remember recalling someone saying they havent been on the A since the 80's...I think the (A) looks sexy on a slant haha

imagine seeing a (J)(Z) slant train parked at ENY...they have a 2 car set of slants at ENY but it has B on the roll sign...i drool everytime i see it next 2 the redbird (4) train on the track next 2 it at broadway junk every morning....

They would be nice on the (J)(Z), but they are going to be 100% R160. The slants MK ran on the (L) and (M) in the last decade (before the Manhattan Bridge changes, the Williamsburg Bridge construction, the arrival of the R143 and ultimately the R160s).

You drooled??? LOL!

Sigh, whoever put that on wikipedia is just flat out lieing. As 8713 said wikipedia is not a reliable source theres still a few sets left on the (B), i rode on one yesterday.

Iawtp. Anybody could edit wikipedia. Just follow the instructions, and put whatever garbage you like.

You can safely trust R160B 8713's datasheet, that's a no-kidder. Except, it needs to be updated more frequently. :P

They would be nice on the (J)(Z), but they are going to be 100% R160. The slants MK ran on the (L) and (M) in the last decade (before the Manhattan Bridge changes, the Williamsburg Bridge construction, the arrival of the R143 and ultimately the R160s).

You drooled??? LOL!

lol yeah i cant help but 2 stare...it started when i first noticed those red birds there all the way at the end then the other day i saw the slant...i wonder how long those redbirds have been there and if there still functional...BMT/IND never get redbird fan trips:mad:...actually i havent seen any special BMT/IND trains...show it some love please, (MTA)

They should put them on the (E) to finish where they started. Send the 42's to the (A), where they'll probably end up anyway.

The slants first went into service Jan. 1968 on the F line actually...but I wouldn't mind them on the "E" anyways...love those trains...put the crap R-68's out to pasture first..gotta love those "great" ahem brakes.:D

lol yeah i cant help but 2 stare...it started when i first noticed those red birds there all the way at the end then the other day i saw the slant...i wonder how long those redbirds have been there and if there still functional...BMT/IND never get redbird fan trips:mad:...actually i havent seen any special BMT/IND trains...show it some love please, (MTA)

There have been redbird fantrips on the IND/BMT lines,the one i remember is

the IRT TOMC to the Rockaways in june of 2004.went to LL City Hall,the unused platform at 63rd St and Lex Av on the (F) line and the Rocks on the

IRT TMOC.it was a great trip.

man that was when i wasnt aware of the subway and wasnt buff about it either...i missed all the last moments, do you know how i could know when a fantrip is going to occur for either IRT or BMT i never been on one and l i wud love to be on one of the old trains...:(

At around 10:30am, I saw a SLANT on the (A) line heading to Beach 44th Street. I couldn't take a picture because I was in shock. If it comes around again, I will take a picture. So are they moving the remaining slants to the (A) line or is it just a schoolcar?

I saw one on saturday (11/8)

a whole set in service

img128ey3.jpg

Yesssss, Your boy here rode a slant R40 car#4418 today on the A train @ 5:30pm. I was walking down towards the front end of Broadway-Junction, When I saw the A train coming. From far away you couldn't see it well but as it got close I saw it was a slant and I was like :( ZOMG!!!!! lol That was the best 10 minutes I've spent recently.

img128ey3.jpg

Yesssss, Your boy here rode a slant R40 car#4418 today on the A train @ 5:30pm. I was walking down towards the front end of Broadway-Junction, When I saw the A train coming. From far away you couldn't see it well but as it got close I saw it was a slant and I was like :( ZOMG!!!!! lol That was the best 10 minutes I've spent recently.

That photo = rear-fan window at 34/ Penn Station?

Archived