63rd Street Tunnel Shutdown Begins Last week in August.

RTOMan

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Unless I'm mistaken, does JC's (E) platform not have those 2 train length long trail tracks at the end?

Those tail tracks can fit 30 cars on each track. Totaling 6 sets in total for lay ups. The issue is the switch placement between Supthin and Parsons. It's dead in the middle meaning this hampers the (E)'s TPH. This is one thing (MTA) should have addressed years ago esp if they want to do CBTC in that section in the future. CBTC on the Archer ave line would be pointless because of this Flaw, This is why it's not slatted for CBTC while the (F) between 179th and union is. JC wasn't even supposed to be a terminal is the reason why on both levels the switch placement is in the middle and not close to the terminal.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Comrade96 said:

like sure theyre DESIGNED to be compatible with one another IN THEORY

real life may play differently....

Right, because QBL CBTC can't recognize a 5 car train but Culver CBTC can? What type of backwards engineering is that!

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Right, because QBL CBTC can't recognize a 5 car train but Culver CBTC can? What type of backwards engineering is that!

Hopefully the (G) is 8 or 10 cars by that point. Also we don’t know if Culver CBTC will be able to recognize a 5 Car Train as of yet.

7 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

CBTC being done in patchwork by differing vendors is gonna bite transit in the ass down the line I guarantee it

Already has....

That's why the Culver Line still isn't completed yet...

4 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Hopefully the (G) is 8 or 10 cars by that point. Also we don’t know if Culver CBTC will be able to recognize a 5 Car Train as of yet.

That's part of the Delay..

Somebody forgot that the G has five car units that goes to Culver Yard for lay ups..

Oh well i dont get paid enough to worry about such things...

13 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

That's part of the Delay..

Somebody forgot that the G has five car units that goes to Culver Yard for lay ups..

Oh well i dont get paid enough to worry about such things...

That’s insane. Does no one read the engineering documents before starting work??

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, R142A-6-Train said:

Since the tunnel shutdown is coming to an end, do you think maybe it'll be acceptable to see a permanent change in tunnel swaps? I mean, (F) service will remain via 53rd, while(M) service remains via 63rd.

As much as i like that idea..

They prob wont do it..

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The 63rd street tube allows more F service. And I’m not sure they’re keen on the idea of having the F bounce between the two tubes every day. 

Yet with Full CBTC in effect it could happen though...

That's why it won't!

One positive of keeping the F on 63rd, during the M’s operating hours it allows a one transfer connection to the G for QB local stations. Sending the M on 63rd means that will be a two transfer trip 24/7 as it currently is. 

additionally, on the base schedule, the M ends service on the QBL rather early.  Under normal circumstances, the last M train to depart Forest Hills is the 2027.

meaning the F would have to switch over to the other tunnel with the 2032 out of 179.

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

One positive of keeping the F on 63rd, during the M’s operating hours it allows a one transfer connection to the G for QB local stations. Sending the M on 63rd means that will be a two transfer trip 24/7 as it currently is. 

additionally, on the base schedule, the M ends service on the QBL rather early.  Under normal circumstances, the last M train to depart Forest Hills is the 2027.

meaning the F would have to switch over to the other tunnel with the 2032 out of 179.

Yeah my bad forgot the Mikey ends early now..

Geez so out of touch with a few things....

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I’m sorry, did you say EIGHT? I know that PM rush is over at Eight-ish, but people still use the subway at the same volume around 9-10 PM. 

19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m sorry, did you say EIGHT? I know that PM rush is over at Eight-ish, but people still use the subway at the same volume around 9-10 PM. 

According to the traffic checkers BACK THEN the ridership wasn't warranted...

They might change that tune when this work is done...

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The (M) used to run until 10:30pm along with the (R) but the nonstop G.O’s especially since the pandemic forced it to end at around 8:30/9pm.

If they can keep the (R) on schedule things wouldn’t be so bad but there has been a few times recently where I needed to take the train from Woodhaven Blvd to Forest Hills and the countdown clock would say 20+ minutes for the next (R) with another one being 6-7 minutes behind that one. I just give up and take the Q60.