NJ Transit Fare Increase

https://www.njtransit.com/hearing

Effective July 1st 2024

- One way ticket will expire in 30 days instead of forever

- Flexipass will be discontinued

- Annual 3% fare increase starting in 2025

Why are fares still not rounded to the near .25 is still beyond me. Requiring people to keep carrying dimes and nickel is ridiculous

4 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Effective July 1st 2024

Why are fares still not rounded to the near .25 is still beyond me. Requiring people to keep carrying dimes and nickel is ridiculous

They should be lowering the fares with the way they operate some of there lines...lol

4 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Effective July 1st 2024

couldn't the fares just be a flat $2.00 instead of making it $2.10 if they were to go that route? Least I use the app for fares now lol

10 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Absolutely zero brain cells involved.

Dwell time creates high costs. Management has never rideen a bus in their lives so they dont understand.

10 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Questions:

(1) Why are passengers traveling interstate not allowed to buy or use transfers?

(2) Why are fares lower in the Southern Division than in the Northern Division?

(3) Why are zone increments higher for interstate routes than for intrastate? NJT's costs for continuing from one town to the next don't change based on where the passenger boarded, yet one passenger might pay 50 cents extra while another pays 75 cents extra. (My thought: Maybe keep the fare at $2 for the first local zone, $0.75 for each additional zone, and a flat surcharge to cross the river.)

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Why are passengers traveling interstate not allowed to buy or use transfers?

You can't enforce the interstate fare structure if transfers were allowed. Pax would buy to the closest point from NYC and then transition to the intrastate fare structure.

Why are fares lower in the Southern Division than in the Northern Division?

Higher incomes and service density.

Why are zone increments higher for interstate routes than for intrastate? NJT's costs for continuing from one town to the next don't change based on where the passenger boarded, yet one passenger might pay 50 cents extra while another pays 75 cents extra.

Interstate operations ARE more expensive per mile because of tolls and charges at the PABT.

5 hours ago, jass said:

Dwell time creates high costs. Management has never rideen a bus in their lives so they dont understand.

The same management that buys cruiser buses for busy Hudson County routes. Have you ever tried to get off an MCI with 8 people standing in the aisle? It’s absolutely awful. Nobody managing NJT has ridden a bus.

@Gotham Bus Co. I would tend to agree with your structure....just charge the intrastate fare and then a surcharge to cross the river. 

An extreme example is the 317 from Asbury Park to Phiadelphia...I think it's $9.75 to Camden, but $21+ to Philly, even though getting off and reboarding would only cost you $1.95 for the Camden - Philly leg. (Some routes have their boundary at Bridge Plaza while others have it at WRTC...though the 317 itself might be the only one that has it at WRTC, I forget offhand)

6 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

What's preventing you from just buying a cheaper fare and staying onboard the bus? How do bus operators keep track of who paid to cross the river?

They will kick you off. If the bus is crowded or depending on the driver you might get away with it. But others will remember people's faces and they will stop the bus and make you pay more or kick you off.

In my experience the NJT operators are not scared to enforce the fare like how NYCT operators are. I don't see fare evasion on the NJT routes I ride. In NYC enforcing the fare is considered a safety issue.

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@Gotham Bus Co. I would tend to agree with your structure....just charge the intrastate fare and then a surcharge to cross the river. 

An extreme example is the 317 from Asbury Park to Phiadelphia...I think it's $9.75 to Camden, but $21+ to Philly, even though getting off and reboarding would only cost you $1.95 for the Camden - Philly leg. (Some routes have their boundary at Bridge Plaza while others have it at WRTC...though the 317 itself might be the only one that has it at WRTC, I forget offhand)

No route has the boundary at Bridge Plaza. Anything from Philly to WRTC is 1.95, if you are going past WRTC, it’s 3.05. The expresses have to change the zone by default once leaving Bridge Plaza because they don’t service WRTC; the 408X stops at WRTC is stupid, it kills the time saving on that trip. North Camden people don’t have that option of 1.95 unless they was to get off and get back on and pay again. All of Camden is zone 2 except for WRTC when going to/from Philly. Buses that start/end at WRTC remain zone 2 1.60 for all of Camden. 

A lot of people in Camden will take the bus to WRTC then get on PATCO. They don’t realize they are paying more to do that, but to them it sounds cheaper. 3.40 with patco; 3.05 if you stay on njt. 

Brooklawn Express Zone 1-3, 4.25

Gloucester Express Zone 1-3, 4.25

If you want to get off at Bridge Plaza coming from zone 3-2 it’s 2.25. This is for the Brooklawn and Gloucester Expresses 402,408,410,412. 

WRTC to Philly 1.95(anything in between)

Philly to WRTC 1.95(anything in between)

Philly to Camden 3.05(anything past wrtc)

Camden to Philly 3.05(anything past wrtc)

These people know to specify Camden or WRTC for the correct fare.

11 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

They will kick you off. If the bus is crowded or depending on the driver you might get away with it. But others will remember people's faces and they will stop the bus and make you pay more or kick you off.

What if you get off the bus and then get back on? 

On 1/25/2024 at 4:06 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

If I board the bus in ThisTown and ride to ThatTown, why do I pay less to cross the zone barrier than someone else who boarded in NY?

NJT interstate buses incur tolls and platform fees to operate between NY and NJ. That cost has to be allocated.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:51 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I would tend to agree with your structure....just charge the intrastate fare and then a surcharge to cross the river. 

A flat surcharge is regressive. It spikes our friends along the NJ waterfront with inflated fares. Spreading out the impact across zones is much better.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:52 PM, jass said:

The railroads tend to see a mix of high and low platforms with little tangible effort in changing that to a single standard. The trains are high-floor.

I think that should tell you everything you need to know.

5 hours ago, JAzumah said:

NJT interstate buses incur tolls and platform fees to operate between NY and NJ. That cost has to be allocated.

A flat surcharge is regressive. It spikes our friends along the NJ waterfront with inflated fares. Spreading out the impact across zones is much better.

Then maybe every route should get the Interstate/Intra-commuter zone structure.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:30 AM, JAzumah said:

That's the whole point of his idea to have one fare scale with a surcharge to cross the river, rather than two separate scales.

Under his idea, an intra-Newark trip would be $2. (Currently $1.60 and proposed to be $1.80). A Newark- Bloomfield trip becomes $2.75 (currently $2.55, proposed to be $2.90). A Newark - West Caldwell trip becomes $3.50 (currently $3.15, proposed to be $3.60).

Going out from the Hudson River, a trip to Union City becomes $4.75 (currently $3.50, proposed to be $4), a trip to Jersey City or Hackensack becomes $5.50 (currently $4.50, proposed to be $5.20 IIRC), a trip to Newark, Clifton/Passaic, or Bayonne becomes $6.25 (currently $6, proposed to be $6.90).

The initial charge and increments can be adjusted (e.g. $1.75 instead of $2) and the zone charges can fluctuate (e.g. $0.50 instead of $0.75). Special fares can be calculated for 1 zone interstate if necessary 

On 1/27/2024 at 11:30 AM, JAzumah said:
On 1/25/2024 at 4:06 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Does the PANYNJ give discounts to NJT?