R will be running R160's

Pelham Bay Dave

I'm surprised they're putting them on the (R) and not the (V). The reason they kept 32's off the (V) from what I understood was to try to lure people to the new line. So you would think it would get the new cars. (But perhaps, it's because the 60 foot cars are betterfor the crowds, and the (R) which probably has more riders could therefore use them more).

When they start running, I'll no longer be able to jump on any 160 at Lex when running up or down the stairs from the (4)(5)(6). And when already waiting there, seeing the red dot down the tunnel instead of the yellow bullet will no longer guarantee it is the train I need. But then I plan not to be going to Astoria anymore anyway.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (R) will likely only get 2-4 R160s, enough to replace the old SMEEs that run on the line during the rush hours only. Occasionally it might be higher, like around 6 sets, because the (R) runs anywhere from 2-6 sets of R32/R42 during the rush.

Couldn't they just be sending crews for training so they will be able to pick a line with 160's once a job pick comes around if they wanted to? I am sure there will be senior crews looking to get away from lines that have 160's which means some crews on the (R) would get picked out? Just speculation on my part.

I agree 100%. The R160 can replace the 60 ft cars on the (A), while the (C) becomes full length.

I agree, it's high time for the (A) and even the (C) to get new cars. With this said, it's very shocking to hear that the (R) is getting even 1 set of R160's. It just means that the Broadway line will be THE line for the R160's. Not a bad thing but surprising.

It might seem shocking, but I do not find it unacceptable to place R160s on the R. I mean, they are just there to replace the R42s that are in place now. Otherwise, where else would they go?

A lot of people advocate for their placement on the A and C lines. I favour the idea personally. But when it comes to practicality, I have my doubts. The Rockaway power issue must be fixed in order for the A to run R160s full time.

Additionally, the R will not be fully R160s. It will just share cars with the ones on the E and the F. It's like the current situation today with the R40M/R42. Nothing special. 2-6 sets.

Supposedly.

Besides aren't all the old cars supposed to be put on the A?

After the R46s are gone, the R68/As would stay for much longer before their retirement. Therefore, it would make sense to have some new equipment on the A considering that there are enough R68As for G and enough R68s for the B and D to share.

Why? If anything the 160's should have gone to the (A) & (C) lines first. Coney Island didn't need any 160's.

Agree 100%. 8th Av. was the line full of old trains, the newest R44s for years. I don't mind the R32 on the (C), it doesn't really have high ridership. The (E) is getting R160s, but it is sometimes lots of them, sometimes a moderate amount. Still lots of R42/R40M and a R32 now and then. I'd like to see the (E) full of them before dealing with the other QB lines. The B'dway lines had R68s, the newest trains after the NTTs. I think the (A), a major line being the Fulton Express and the 8th Av and CPW Express, if not R160s, should at least have R68 and R68As. I guess the R40M/R42s should have been replaced on the (J) and (M). But the R160s on the (N) and (Q) is about yard convenience for the (MTA) over what high-ridership lines were running the oldest equipment and could use them most. As far as I'm concerned, the (R) is fine with R46s. For years, it did not run the R32, just very occasionally. Having the R160 on so many lines makes it feel like the R42 of 2007 onward. (R42 ran on just about every B division line soon after it was put in service)

Down the road, the R179 may feel more "exclusive" due to it being newer and having less of them and running on fewer lines. The R160 will be the standard, older digitized trains in service on many lines.

Guest Charles

To sum most of it up, R160s on the (R) would be bittersweet. It'd be nice to see some newer equipment on the (R), however 3-4 sets would be plenty. The R46s have served the (R) really nicely and I'd like to see the R46s stay on the (R) (and (V)) in the future.

Did you read this thread at all, before you typed your response?:mad:

Did you even bother reading Pelham Bay Dave's post? or did you just post so you can see your name in the thread?

i just thought it was funny the way i said "never" ;). besides, just because the (R) train crew is getting trained for R160s does not mean it is actually going to use those cars for regular revenue service. all crew members working for a yard where the R160s are being maintained, regardless of whether or not those cars will actually run on the lines they are assigned to, have to be trained for those cars. that is why last year, some of us saw (B) train workers being trained for R160s even though there are no plans to run those cars on that line because the (B) is maintained at Coney Island. in any case, even if R160s go on the (R), it will probably just one or two sets if needed. there are over 750 R46s, more than enough to run 100% on the (R)(V)(C). also, my "how about never?" was my family's response to my question, "when can i wear nail polish?" which even though annoyed me i thought was kinda funny, but let's talk about that.

i just thought it was funny the way i said "never" ;). besides, just because the (R) train crew is getting trained for R160s does not mean it is actually going to use those cars for regular revenue service. all crew members working for a yard where the R160s are being maintained, regardless of whether or not those cars will actually run on the lines they are assigned to, have to be trained for those cars. that is why last year, some of us saw (B) train workers being trained for R160s even though there are no plans to run those cars on that line because the (B) is maintained at Coney Island. in any case, even if R160s go on the (R), it will probably just one or two sets if needed. there are over 750 R46s, more than enough to run 100% on the (R)(V)(C).

I remember when you said the same thing about R160's not going to the (F). In any case the (R) will be running a few R160's on the (R) soon.

Archived