Overruns

MHV9218

I've been seeing a lot of more of these as of late, and not even at outdoor stations with leaves. Any changes in personnel or signaling that could lead to an increase?

Over at West 4th St. s/b 8 Av express, overruns tend to be pretty rare. I've never seen a train roll past the edge of the platform (there's a lot of space), but what's happening a lot is that T/Os are going a few feet too far and missing the punch box. I saw a particularly embarrassing one today where a T/O overshot the box, had to get out of the cab and walk onto the platform. But his C/R didn't know and closed down on him while he was leaving the train, so the op got stuck in the doors and had to pull out his flashlight to signal the C/R, open up, walk over to the box, and then walk back into the cab (which he'd left open the whole time) and sit down. I'm not naming any more particulars, as I could only imagine how many ways he'd get written up for that one while I saw it happen. But then the next guy overshot, and the next guy too. Something up? 

About 10 years ago I seen a T/O over run the punch on a Queens bound  (J) at Myrle Ave... T/O just got out the cab and pressed it, don't see the big deal TBH, he was an older guy too so I assume he had some years under his belt.

lol the punch at Myrtle isn't on the platform side!!! He would have had to climb off the train to reach it

Edit: Nevermind, you probably mean the express track lol

It's one thing to overshoot the stop marker of punch box, but it's another thing to put a panel, a door, or a car out of the station. I do know that with the PA-5 (which are almost an exact copy of R160s) they don't always respond the same every time. I haven't over run a station (yet), but I over run car markers several times a day.

It's one thing to overshoot the stop marker of punch box, but it's another thing to put a panel, a door, or a car out of the station. I do know that with the PA-5 (which are almost an exact copy of R160s) they don't always respond the same every time. I haven't over run a station (yet), but I over run car markers several times a day.

I'd keep that a secret.

it hard to not to overrun. it hard with all that weight behind you and right time to apply brake. there tons of reasons why these train operator alway miss them. when i played the bve i alway overrun or under run i that game.  i remember one time on saturday morning when the (B) was local on 4 th ave , the train operator didn't want to stop local and he overruns a lot . it was overrun to the first set of doors on the r40 slant.  After that station it was normal. 

it hard to not to overrun. it hard with all that weight behind you and right time to apply brake. there tons of reasons why these train operator alway miss them. when i played the bve i alway overrun or under run i that game.  i remember one time on saturday morning when the (B) was local on 4 th ave , the train operator didn't want to stop local and he overruns a lot . it was overrun to the first set of doors on the r40 slant.  After that station it was normal. 

BVE is nothing like controlling a real train. It has literally zero things in common with it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it.

If you overrun, the conductor doesn't line up with the board. Does (s)he open the doors anyway?

Not true. The conductor's board is not a five inch stripe. Many stations have large boards, it's possible to miss the marker by a small bit, with all doors in the station, and the conductor still on the board. Especially at punch locations.

Most of us will take it easy at critical punch locations because of the importance of lining up, since you won't get a lineup if you don't and have to hear it from the tower if you can't punch. But in regards to the original post on this thread, West 4th is not a critical punch location...since if you miss that punch, there is another one at Canal St. When the C is routed via the express, the C has to punch at Canal St. anyway since there's no punch at West 4th for an 8 car train. It's likely those folks have just chosen to punch at Canal, and ballpark the marker at W4.

When I work the A I'd rather punch at W4, since sometimes the lineup will be waiting leaving Canal, I won't have to wait for it, and if I have a new conductor, I don't have to wait and have them think we're getting held (holding lights are on when you don't have a lineup at Canal) and make an unnecessary announcement.

Interesting to hear. And you're right, of course, that it's all very insignificant unless there's a chunk of the train beyond the platform. 

Most of us will take it easy at critical punch locations because of the importance of lining up, since you won't get a lineup if you don't and have to hear it from the tower if you can't punch. But in regards to the original post on this thread, West 4th is not a critical punch location...since if you miss that punch, there is another one at Canal St. When the C is routed via the express, the C has to punch at Canal St. anyway since there's no punch at West 4th for an 8 car train. It's likely those folks have just chosen to punch at Canal, and ballpark the marker at W4.

When I work the A I'd rather punch at W4, since sometimes the lineup will be waiting leaving Canal, I won't have to wait for it, and if I have a new conductor, I don't have to wait and have them think we're getting held (holding lights are on when you don't have a lineup at Canal) and make an unnecessary announcement.

Ah, so that explains why I occasionally see ops on the A skip the punch at W4.

The ones I was referring to hadn't done that though; one op missed the marker, left the cab and walked over to the box, and that's where the issue came when the C/R closed down on him.

If you overrun, the conductor doesn't line up with the board. Does (s)he open the doors anyway?

There is generally some leeway at every station, sometimes this is a foot or two in either direction or a car or two. Plus I work on PATH and since the conductor works in the first and second car, if the first car has a door out of the station, announcements are made for people to walk to the next car. 

I was riding the PATCO with a friend who works for the Subways as maintenance superintendent and we overshot one of the stations and he had to back up. He tells me that in the TA, they'll crucify you if you overshoot and back up

I was riding the PATCO with a friend who works for the Subways as maintenance superintendent and we overshot one of the stations and he had to back up. He tells me that in the TA, they'll crucify you if you overshoot and back up

I thought PATCO was ATO?

"Backing up" on the mainline is absolutely a no-no. Signals are not spaced to protect a train that does so. Additionally, maintainers, track workers, and flaggers often will descend to the roadbed behind a train once it makes a station stop if they need to set up to perform work on or around the tracks in the area. "Backing up" obviously jeopardizes their safety.

I thought PATCO was ATO?

"Backing up" on the mainline is absolutely a no-no. Signals are not spaced to protect a train that does so. Additionally, maintainers, track workers, and flaggers often will descend to the roadbed behind a train once it makes a station stop if they need to set up to perform work on or around the tracks in the area. "Backing up" obviously jeopardizes their safety.

When I was on it last, they were running manual cab signaling. It does run OPTO though.

BVE is nothing like operating a train any New TO who practices on that is crazy.....

Archived