NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

Wow I can see the Q17 and Q27 coming to CS and bring the Q31 to JA and Q76 to QV. An all Artic depot... please not even a rumor, just an imagination the Q13,Q15,Q16,Q48 doesn't hav enough service.

Wow I can see the Q17 and Q27 coming to CS and bring the Q31 to JA and Q76 to QV. An all Artic depot... please not even a rumor, just an imagination the Q13,Q15,Q16,Q48 doesn't have enough service.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By now most of the b/o's at Stengel r trained on the artic. I request 1 at night but the boss doesn't want it pullin in that late(I pull in at 3am) cause the yard is jammed.

What happens when the artic-based schedule takes effect and every run is supposed to get one? They should figure out how to handle those buses in the yard now so they'll be prepared for the full roll-out.

Otherwise, if depot management still insists that the artics have to just sit there collecting dust, then the buses and the Q44 might as well move to West Farms.

Here's my question... Gorgor mentioned this before too with the newer LFSAs on the M15, but I've noticed with these new articulated buses that when you hit a bump, GOD do you feel it! I was on the M101 Sunday past coming from the BxM1 and coming down 3rd Avenue we hit a few bumps and I was thinking are there any shocks on this friggin' bus to absorb the bumps? They actually just repaved parts of 3rd Avenue, so I would imagine it would be even worse with the old 3rd Avenue. <_<

It may be due to the LFSA having a stiffer suspension setup opposed to it's D60 counterpart. One thing I do admire about the LFSA's is that there is minimal body roll when turning but of course that comes at a price which means some comfort has to be sacrificed.

By now most of the b/o's at Stengel r trained on the artic. I request 1 at night but the boss doesn't want it pullin in that late(I pull in at 3am) cause the yard is jammed. They r gonna repaint all the bus parking spots in the next couple of weeks. The sept pick u will see bout 30 artics out everyday. They will keep a few inside as spares. There r a lot of rumors bout the q27 coming back to c/s cause the suits want artics on the line and supposedly they don't fit in qv depot. Also rumors that they want c/s to become a all artic depot. Fun times ahead.lol.

Wow pretty interesting stuff there.

Anyway according to a foreman and an operator:

QV Was testing an artic on the Q46 and Q43

The issue on the 43: had a hard time turning it around at 268th street

The issue on the 46: something about LIJ...

Depot wise it could be navigates through the depot and there is space on tracks. The issue would be bring them into the maintenance bays, as most of them are only long enough to fit an MCI/ about 50 or so feet

What about the Q76 that goes into the terminal wouldn't it be an issue to back out with such a long bus?

With the 76 and some other routes I would guess that u would see the big shots would b switching routes around to other depots. I could see artics on the 12,15,28,32 already on the 44. Going forward I could see the mta puttin artics on a lot of lines. It makes sense for them cause 2 artics equals 3 reg buses. So they won't need as many operators which means they save money. Sucks for us cause less runs to choose from. They didn't post the fall pick yet but word is there will b at least 20 runs cut from the 44! No bueno! But I do enjoy driving them! But gotta add a lot of running time cause they r definitely slower then the orions we have! Last week I had a 6000 something Orion and my leader had an artic. I caught him at 14th & parsons Bronx bound and we were on detour cause of the night construction on thecwhitestone bridge. By the time I reached the throgs neck bridge I totally lost him!

With the 76 and some other routes I would guess that u would see the big shots would b switching routes around to other depots. I could see artics on the 12,15,28,32 already on the 44. Going forward I could see the mta puttin artics on a lot of lines. It makes sense for them cause 2 artics equals 3 reg buses. So they won't need as many operators which means they save money. Sucks for us cause less runs to choose from. They didn't post the fall pick yet but word is there will b at least 20 runs cut from the 44! No bueno! But I do enjoy driving them! But gotta add a lot of running time cause they r definitely slower then the orions we have! Last week I had a 6000 something Orion and my leader had an artic. I caught him at 14th & parsons Bronx bound and we were on detour cause of the night construction on thecwhitestone bridge. By the time I reached the throgs neck bridge I totally lost him!

No I think Artics can go on referring to CS routes Q12,Q20,Q44,Q32 and Q28 some trips.

Now the Queens bus routes that could use Artics is the Q3,Q5,Q10,Q11,Q17,Q25 definitly on Saturdays and rush hours. Q27, Q43,Q46,Q53,Q58,Q60,Q65,Q66,Q111and Q113

It's sort of a massive electrical issue if a whole series of buses has to run with half the lights off, no?

This is their cheap fix the the problem the HVAC I brought up a couple months ago. This cost virtually nothing but man hours because it can be done with what's already in the shop (wiring, connectors etc...). They don't want to do the big fix which would involve at least a different voltage regulator (big $$$), and at most a new higher capacity alternator (bigger $$$ especially for the MTA).

If that is the case then they should have NovaBus foot the bill then aren't these buses still under warranty?

I was referring to Nova, I believe Nova is doing the conversion. The bus is still under warranty, but the bus warranty and the engine/transmission/propulsion warranty are separate.

The Q27 may or may not work with artics. On one hand, whenever I'm in Flushing it's always as crowded or more crowded as the Q44 (on 40 footers). On the other hand, it's got terrible bunching problems and artics will only make it worse.

Artics on the Q15...forget about it. Remember the mass community opposition to the new routing of the Q15A in 2010?

The Q27 may or may not work with artics. On one hand, whenever I'm in Flushing it's always as crowded or more crowded as the Q44 (on 40 footers). On the other hand, it's got terrible bunching problems and artics will only make it worse.

Artics on the Q15...forget about it. Remember the mass community opposition to the new routing of the Q15A in 2010?

What I learned before is that Artics can go on most routes, but some dont have enough ridership for them. The Q27 may bunch but that can be solved by spreading apart the headway times if it gets Artics.

There r a lot of rumors bout the q27 coming back to c/s cause the suits want artics on the line and supposedly they don't fit in qv depot.

I have four words for that: Holly Avenue with snow. That thought is scary enough with standard buses....

Also rumors that they want c/s to become a all artic depot.

Most of CS's routes don't warrant articulated buses (and never will).

If the Q58 gets split with CS it can use artics but that corner at Main Street from its terminal stop is a problem. Sometimes buses are on the otherside of the street a little.

There's a reason cars are supposed to stop short of the intersection there. Of course many people never do, and that causes problems...

Hence why College Pt Man tends to see the buses on the other side of the street to set up that turn correctly.

No kidding...

I've been on my fair share of buses that have had to sit there because someone stopped right at the light and was impeding our movement...

Archived