NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

May I ask....why are they down rating the engine???

I have no idea. Maybe one of the others can shed some light.

Wait..I thought it was the transmission they were changing?

Yes but that's not the only spec change coming with this order.

5770-6067 will use the ThermoKing HVAC

6068-6097 will use Carrier

6095-6097 will have the Allison WB-500R6 Gen IV transmissions

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the ZFs hold up better and are more efficient and capable. It has been said for years that ZFs burn Allisons at higher speeds.

Sure, at highway speeds ZFs may have the advantage, but in the crawl of NYC traffic, all you get is a jerky bus and annoyed passengers. If you operate or ride a 1200 LFSA or a ZF RTS in traffic you'll know exactly what I'm talking about it.

As for holding up better, there's not really much evidence for the MTA to say that considering the LFSAs were the first diesel buses we ordered with ZFs in twelve years, and the first type of any bus with a ZF in seven years -- everything else went Allison.

Sure, at highway speeds ZFs may have the advantage, but in the crawl of NYC traffic, all you get is a jerky bus and annoyed passengers. If you operate or ride a 1200 LFSA or a ZF RTS in traffic you'll know exactly what I'm talking about it.

As for holding up better, there's not really much evidence for the MTA to say that considering the LFSAs were the first diesel buses we ordered with ZFs in twelve years, and the first type of any bus with a ZF in seven years -- everything else went Allison.

I've got to agree that was my major gripe when operating those ZF O7's at West Farms.

Also...

when I was operating 5778 it was like I could never stop smoothly there was like a chatter right before it would come to a complete stop (I did nothing different compared to driving a New Flyer)

But do they need both 5770 and 5771? and does anybody know what has been the last bus delivered

Slight correction: 5770 is at Prevost, 5771 is up at Plattsburgh.

We only get three LFSAs with Allisons? What, is the MTA allergic to Allisons these days? That's a shame, I like those a whole lot more than ZFers.

The latest spec change says that the last 13 will have Allisons:

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MTA_Regional_Bus_Operations_Fleet_Roster#Volvo_Group_North_America

Just saw the updated roster, how are the Allison ones gonna have Detroit Diesel? Last I checked they don't make bus engines anymore, and they don't make them at all for non-Daimler vehicles.

If this is true, then I'd like to be the first to say it's ABOUT TIME. Go Detroit!

Detroit Diesel never left the bus industry. They just shifted their focus towards OTR coaches. There are MCI buses that sport the newer DD engines. The DD11 engine will be an entirely new engine being introduced here.

Detroit Diesel never left the bus industry. They just shifted their focus towards OTR coaches. There are MCI buses that sport the newer DD engines. The DD11 engine will be an entirely new engine being introduced here.

Ah. Can't wait to see how this plays out. DD should make a smaller engine that they can use on the hybrids so the damn ISB isn't the only option there.

The DD11 is so new its not even on the Detroit Diesel website yet...

Actually the DD11 is not new at all, the DD11 has been in other markets outside of the US since 2007. It is only NOW being introduced to the US market.

@ Orion VII 4 Life, I believe Navistar and Daimler Buses North America are working on an engine to compete with the ISB for usage in diesel electric propulsion systems...

Interesting, considering DD is owned by Daimler. Still good to see DD making a comeback in buses, even if they aren't hybrid (yet).

Only 40 buses for the B44 SBS? If it is going to take about 113 minutes to make a round trip during rush hour (48 mins up, 8 mins recovery at one end, 49 mins down, 8 mins recovery at the other end) and the buses are supposed to operate every 3 minutes during the rush hour then 38 buses (113/3 = 37+2/3) are needed to make service, leaving only two spares?

Only 40 buses for the B44 SBS? If it is going to take about 113 minutes to make a round trip during rush hour (48 mins up, 8 mins recovery at one end, 49 mins down, 8 mins recovery at the other end) and the buses are supposed to operate every 3 minutes during the rush hour then 38 buses (113/3 = 37+2/3) are needed to make service, leaving only two spares?

B44 SBS delayed until Late Sept. 2013

Archived