NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

IMO, the Q44 should be call the QBx44 and it should be a Westfarms route. The alterations that are gonna have to make to CS to be able to house artics is gonna cut down on the amount of buses they can work on inside the depot...
i feel the same way, they have way more room at WF for that change to the Q44 all them artics are not going to fit there at CS and it would be able to run more buses than it does now

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to Trevor's news regarding the future LFSA order, specifically Flatbush - we were pushed back due to the construction of expanding bays and other necessary equipment installations to handle the new buses. All 51 LFSAs will be in the backyard for storage at all times -- no pull outs from inside the house.

I still haven't ridden the new LFSAs yet, but since the new buses will come to the 100th Street depot I guess I don't need to go after the Bx15 or the M14 now!

I haven't seen the LFSAs in service on the M101 yet, but I did catch 5861 in training at Lexington Avenue, between 107th and 106th Street, as I walked back home this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

5874 is now here. Just came in gate to facilities, as I have 3 days on 7 line, and seen bus up front. Hopefully they will find their way to Flatbush, and Ulmer Park, cause that B6 needs them terribly.......

They're really getting up there, spells the end for those old D60s at Tuskegee. Nothing for Ulmer, but Flatbush will be getting artics by the end of next year.

5874 is now here. Just came in gate to facilities, as I have 3 days on 7 line, and seen bus up front. Hopefully they will find their way to Flatbush, and Ulmer Park, cause that B6 needs them terribly.......

Flatbush should've been Ops Dept. first priority with bringing artics to our heavy lines.

Flatbush should've been Ops Dept. first priority with bringing artics to our heavy lines.

Didn't you or somebody else mention that there was a lift issue at FB and the depot needed some sort of rebuilding? I'd imagine the TA desperately wants artics on the 41 and obviously the 44 SBS, but that must have put a stop to it.

Like I said, the B6 needs artics, but you are correct. FLA needs them, for the B41, B44 and B46 lines. In Brooklyn, that should be the first depot with them. I asked an operator yesterday, and they are for the Q44. Is the route going to be split between WF and CS, is the question I have???????

Didn't you or somebody else mention that there was a lift issue at FB and the depot needed some sort of rebuilding? I'd imagine the TA desperately wants artics on the 41 and obviously the 44 SBS, but that must have put a stop to it.

Yes, I did mention they're expanding the bays, and a few other alterations to the depot to accommodate the 60-ft units.

I mentioned that TA should've made Flatbush it's first priority with artics because it should've been that way from the jump instead of all these last minute fixes here and there, further delaying the order. I, for one, am excited to drive them when they first arrive soon. Hopefully it's sooner than what's "expected" at this point.

Like I said, the B6 needs artics, but you are correct. FLA needs them, for the B41, B44 and B46 lines. In Brooklyn, that should be the first depot with them. I asked an operator yesterday, and they are for the Q44. Is the route going to be split between WF and CS, is the question I have???????

Well now, look who made a bit of a return!

While I was told about those artics being primarily for the Q44, I was also told that there might be a split with West Farms but I'm taking that with a grain of salt. I'll just wait and see when the time comes.

Already?! Those buses are literally brand new. That's surprising, it used to always take a few months for ads.

Not if the guys who place the ads are at the depot when they come in. That's exactly what happened when the first Orion VIIs were delivered to Ulmer Park.

Finally got a chance to ride some of these new LFSA's (Tuskegee's in particular) and I have to say they really made an improvement in the seat arrangement in the front half of the bus. The rear is still cramped though. And them moving that "conversation seat" over the rear axle back a couple inches is much appreciated.

Finally got a chance to ride some of these new LFSA's (Tuskegee's in particular) and I have to say they really made an improvement in the seat arrangement in the front half of the bus. The rear is still cramped though. And them moving that "conversation seat" over the rear axle back a couple inches is much appreciated.

And them moving that "conversation seat" over the rear axle back a couple inches is much appreciated.what do you meann by that?? over the rear axles and all??

And them moving that "conversation seat" over the rear axle back a couple inches is much appreciated.what do you meann by that?? over the rear axles and all??

The rear axle (or rear wheelbase) of the bus, or in simple terms, the hump over the transverse seats.

Finally got to operate one of these today I pulled out 5778 for my first half on the Concourse. Overall, these LFSA's are great buses and extremely advanced technology wise but there are a few things I'm not a huge fan of such as...the extremely slow front door, the fact that once the articulated joint bends the slightest bit acceleration is cut off, kneeler switch placement (I think the W/C ramp deployment and kneeler switches should be swapped so that opening the front door can be done at the same time like on the D60's). However, the good does out weigh the bad. I love the fact that the majority of the controls were placed overhead, Cummins ISL/ZF transimission combo is a blast to drive, very smooth and effective retarder, retractable sun visors = one of the best inventions of all time and last but not least the faux leather/vinyl wrapped steering wheel is really nice (its smaller in diameter too) all in all the LFSA can be deemed as the Benz of the fleet but I actually would prefer to operate the D60HF's.

Yep, I remember my friend griping about the three-mile-per-hour turns. The flashing stop request sign on the dash is good for reminding you that somebody requested a stop, especially if you are tired. The fact that there are three brightness settings for the interior lights is extremely Benz-like.

The second most user-friendly feature (after the shield) is the overhead front door light that turns on even if you release the air pressure for the front door and then open the door manually.

It was a brilliant idea to use a button for the air pressure release mechanism rather than a rotating handle. Once my friend had a NG that was only about a year old at the time and the screw holding the handle in place came loose and when he turned the handle in an attempt to release the air, the handle spun freely and would not release the air. It worked again after I tightened the screw. It helps to carry stuff like this thing: http://www.takapaka.pl/web/gallery/614/thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

5770 and 5771 are being used at the plant to build the order. They should be here when the order switches to using the Carrier HVAC or the downrated engine.

Wait..I thought it was the transmission they were changing?

Archived