DC Metro Bashes NYC Subway

Donald

Don't kill me please. LOL. I don't like seeing a trash infested subway car or the tracks either. I just think the rule would be hard to enforce. =/ i make sure my stuff goes in the trash bin honest.

LMAO. When I read your reply, I was picturing myself holding you by the collar, against the wall with your feet dangling in the air.

Everything's cool.:cool: But I just wish that this city wasn't such a pigsty.

To all the ATO bashers, the most efficient system in the world (Hong Kong's MTR) uses it. MTR can transport 80,000 people/hour. In comparison, the 6 has a max of 27,480/people/hour. The problem is that WMATA is limiting its use in all the wrong ways. Because of signal-related incidents, headways have to be cut back, which makes bottlenecks such as that at Rosslyn a major problem; when working, Metro can run at smaller headways than is possible in New York. It's not a perfect system, but has a lot going for it. Maybe we could get some zero-tolerance policies and spruce the subway up a bit; Metro police had no problem arresting a 12-year-old girl for eating fries.

To all the ATO bashers, the most efficient system in the world (Hong Kong's MTR) uses it. MTR can transport 80,000 people/hour. In comparison, the 6 has a max of 27,480/people/hour. The problem is that WMATA is limiting its use in all the wrong ways. Because of signal-related incidents, headways have to be cut back, which makes bottlenecks such as that at Rosslyn a major problem; when working, Metro can run at smaller headways than is possible in New York. It's not a perfect system, but has a lot going for it. Maybe we could get some zero-tolerance policies and spruce the subway up a bit; Metro police had no problem arresting a 12-year-old girl for eating fries.

Wow.for a french fry? "Drop the fry,you are under arrest.You have the right to remain hungry":p

Wow.for a french fry? "Drop the fry,you are under arrest.You have the right to remain hungry":p

It works. The Metro is incredibly clean. It also comes down to the design of stations which make vandalism difficult as well. Maybe it's a bit of an extreme example, but showing that no nonsense is tolerated makes a difference.

It works. The Metro is incredibly clean. It also comes down to the design of stations which make vandalism difficult as well. Maybe it's a bit of an extreme example, but showing that no nonsense is tolerated makes a difference.

I find their hierarchy a tad too dramatic. You still cannot compare the WMATA to the New York City Subway. Our infrastructure is older than theirs and we have more to maintain than they do. Our system is also larger and we therefore have more ground to cover. To top it off, we move more people than they do.

The day food is banned in the subway is the day all hell breaks loose.

And it took NY 32 generations to realize the same thing.

FYI the R32 designation refers to the contract number, not the generation number of the car. Even if a new car came out every 4-5 years or so, 32 generations would equal 128-160 years. And we were able to figure out this little tidbit in the 60s with the advent of the 32s btw

i dont have a problem with the WMATA, it was a nice system when I rode it, but the problem is the stations are too dark and it has zone pricing which is kinda annoying.

They had a lot of new technology thats only starting to make it here, like countdown timers for the next train.

FYI the R32 designation refers to the contract number, not the generation number of the car. Even if a new car came out every 4-5 years or so, 32 generations would equal 128-160 years. And we were able to figure out this little tidbit in the 60s with the advent of the 32s btw

32 Contracts! Geez gett off my ass. Everybody became a point dexter over night.

I cringe at the Rosslyn tunnel situation. When the first segment of the Silver line opens in 3 years, things are going to get more congested. Silver line skip stop service going downtown could help, but there are no express tracks in the system. Orange line trains are already packed beyond capacity during peak hours.

I cringe at the Rosslyn tunnel situation. When the first segment of the Silver line opens in 3 years, things are going to get more congested. Silver line skip stop service going downtown could help, but there are no express tracks in the system. Orange line trains are already packed beyond capacity during peak hours.

So do I. They're going to need another Metro tunnel in downtown DC. Either build the proposed Blue Line M Street tunnel from Georgetown to Union Station or reroute the Blue onto the Yellow Line's Potomac River crossing, then have the Blue switch off from the Yellow into a new tunnel under 9th Street, parallel to the existing Green/Yellow tunnel. Then extend the Silver Line to Largo to replace the Blue there. They really can't afford to put this off much longer.

I live in DC/VA now for my new job, and I don't agree with that ad. I totally hate the WMATA system. Delays, heavy reliance on technology, and it's not THAT much cleaner than NYC. I would rather stay in NYC and use the MTA/NYCT. Our system is way older and larger to manage than a younger, minuscule and inefficient WMATA. Despicable that they are raising fares multiple times and still issuing these "subtalk" (as we MTA calls them) ads. NYC complain about its transit system all the time, but when you head out to explore, the MTA is rather efficient and organized, and, not to mention, user-friendly!

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to bump this thread but I decided to post the link of the NTSB report about the collision here than make a new thread:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2010/RAR1002.htm

I read the full 156 page report a few days ago.

Seeing the computerized diagram of how everything transpired sent chills down my spine. The T/O never had a chance to stop her train. She had all of 3 seconds to deploy the emergency brakes before the collision because of a sharp curve.

Approximately 84% of that Rohr trains' body was compromised. That's insane.

OK, would you rather ride an R44, (or whatever type of NYC Subway train you think is worse) or one of the Washington Metro trains?

I think the R44 (or R____) will win out each time.

Now with that said.

The Lexington Avenue line ALONE, is bigger than their entire system, and in spite of the rush hour headaches (particularly in the AM Rush for the (4)/(5) still is a lot safer than the Washington Metro, and runs more efficiently, not to mention the beautiful R142/R142A trains look better than any of their trains.

I would bet to say that the PATH Trains/System run more efficiently and have better looking cars than the Washington Metro as well.

As for ANYTHING they have over NYC, it is because they have a smaller and younger system, and that is negated when you have safety issues in your system. Any expansion in New York City (other than 2nd Avenue) would be to the outskirts of the outer boroughs, especially Queens and the Bronx, and an actual train running from Staten Island to Manhattan, and obviously it will be heck to get the money needed to build up subways along those corridors. BRT in some of these areas is most likely how service will expand in NYC. It is a shame that New York politicians won't get that type of support, but otherwise I say a system like New York's is superior compared to the systems in the U.S. outside of New York.

Maybe the comparison should be not the WMATA vs MTA Subways, but WMATA vs the Lexington Avenue Line, heck to make it a fair comparison, the (G) Line alone. My bets still on the (4)(5)(6) or (G) Lines.

DC's Metro is a preschooler compared to our tenured subway system. We were the model for them. Give them a few more years and see how rat-free it is.

Rat Free? When they open up the Silver Line D.C. gotta bigger problem to worry about. Now with a direct connection to the Airport don't you think that line will become an instant terriosit target.

Archived