DC Metro Bashes NYC Subway

Donald

I was just in Washington DC this week and rode the Metro a few times. On one trip, I saw an interesting that I suspect bashes the NYC subway system. I was not able to get a picture of it, but I found a photo of the very same sign on a different website:

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/27/rat.jpg

Unlike some subway systems (which will remain nameless), you don't see rats the size of house cats roaming Metro.

Hmm, I wonder which system they are talking about...

I was just in Washington DC this week and rode the Metro a few times. On one trip, I saw an interesting that I suspect bashes the NYC subway system. I was not able to get a picture of it, but I found a photo of the very same sign on a different website:

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/27/rat.jpg

Unlike some subway systems (which will remain nameless), you don't see rats the size of house cats roaming Metro.

Hmm, I wonder which system they are talking about...

Yeah, but you know what? You don't see trains here crashing at nearly 50MPH then crumpling like little playtoys, so WMATA can't say anything.

DC Metro is younger [at least in some places 1/3 to 1/2 the age of some NYC subway segments]. And the DC Metro is more like a commuter RR than a subway, I would think of it more like the LIRR than the subway. Plus [unless I'm wrong], the DC Metro doesn't operate 24/7 like the NYC subway does nor does it have the huge fleet size of NYCT. As for rats, if the NYC system could be shut down for a few hours at a time, they could clean up the stations and clear out the rat infestations. See how long DC can keep their system clean over the next few decades if they had to operate 24/7 all year round with part time closings for major work.

So it's really more apples to oranges.

But to add on to what INDman said: DC Metro has had a few fatal/serious accidents in this decade compared to NYC's 'recent' ones way back in the 1990s. So on that grounds NYC has a much better track record.

Har har har, I love how people make a big deal out of the rats in the system. Most of the putzes who use those jokes live in Ohio, they should come up with new material anyway. The homeless turning stations and cars into theur personal condos makes for better jokes.

Washington DC and Baltimore suck as well. Putting up a maximum security prison wall around that area would solve a lot of problems at once.

Well, if bringing food into the system were to be outlawed and ENFORCED in NYC the vermin problem wouldn't be as bad here. As far as ATO is concerned I think only the (MTA) management and foamers wish that on anyone in our subway system in the near future.

Rats live in New York, especially Manhattan, because it is a grid, which their minds are naturally attuned to, and there is constant construction, which they love. THe food and garbage make it worse, but there will always be rats in the subway, even if it was pristine and food-free. D.C can just suck it.

What a**holes! I wanna collect a few rats from here and release them at Federal Triangle and just out of spite. Those idiots cant talk! They have way too much blood on their hands to even point a finger at us. They're pointing and there blood dropping off the tip of their finger. What nerve.

Well I'm pretty sure we all know a certain someone who would be preaching along with the WMATA being superior with the MTA (this person will remain nameless)...but too bad it's so not true.

New York City Transit moves people quicker and more efficiently than WMATA. Our system operates 24/7 unlike theirs so your options are limited if you rely on public transportation there. And the best thing of all, our fleet is much more diverse, from R32s and 46s to R68s and 160s. Their trains look totally bland and completely ugly.

Archived