MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished reading BusChat and there seems to be some talk of Ulmer Park's recent delivery of new buses - that one of the sets may be moved to another depot because it's too many different parts for UP to hold (Nova RTS, Nova LFS, Orion 3Gs & NF XD40s).

Ulmer Park buses at wall..are new buses leaving?

Hmm?

Just finished reading BusChat and there seems to be some talk of Ulmer Park's recent delivery of new buses - that one of the sets may be moved to another depot because it's too many different parts for UP to hold (Nova RTS, Nova LFS, Orion 3Gs & NF XD40s).

Hmm?

I never agreed with this whole process because of the reason. Having that many different makes and models of bus under one roof creates having for the storeroom. And, they brought way too many of each bus. The sane way to do it would have been to handle it like they did with Designline...buy 4 of each. Or buy 30 of each bus and move the set from depot to depot to test them on various routes. This way, they don't waste money on so many buses that they are not satisfied with, or don't plan to order more of in the future.

Hmm?

They do have a lot of parts , but I know the rts are going the 9400's , 9413 is going to 126 I saw it out back the other day . I saw 9426 on the m31 the other night . But I'll check into this or you , it might be true .

Since Nova and Prevost are under the same umbrella (Volvo), maybe the MTA should have the Nova and Prevost buses in the same depots:

Seeing that Yukon has Prevosts, they should get Novas. Ulmer Park should keep their Novas and Prevosts. Let Castleton and Queens Village split the Orion Third Gens and Xcelsiors.

There're a whole lot of buses on the way out of UP thanks to the new fleet, Blitz posted the 126th ones already: 9424, 9426, 9428-9429 made it over. 9426 is actually on the D Shuttle at Grand right now, seeing 9400s down there remind me of the old B39 days...

I saw 9426 the other night on 57th in manhattan on the 31 , 9425 is at or going to 126th supposedly .

I never agreed with this whole process because of the reason. Having that many different makes and models of bus under one roof creates having for the storeroom. And, they brought way too many of each bus. The sane way to do it would have been to handle it like they did with Designline...buy 4 of each. Or buy 30 of each bus and move the set from depot to depot to test them on various routes. This way, they don't waste money on so many buses that they are not satisfied with, or don't plan to order more of in the future.

The irony. Ulmer Park hasnt had a new bus in over 14(?) or so years. Then they get too many new buses lol

They should send if anything the 3Gs to another Orion depot like CS or wherever.

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT!! ULMER PARK NOW HAS TOO MANY BUSES?!?!! WHAT?!!?

they've has RTS for the past 10years...now too many new buses...oohh noo!!

ok....what about west farms?!?! queens village?!?! they have alot of different buses and arent having problems...why ulmer...this doesnt make any sense!! they better keep all there new buses and get rid of those boring RTS that we had for the past 10years!! theses new buses we have are great and they cant leave sooo soon!!

No, the problem isn't UP getting new buses, it's that they have too many different bus types for 1 depot to handle. If it was of just 1-2 new types, there would not be an issue over parts.

Hmm?

Yup, like I said there, if they really needed to test the Prevosts in Brooklyn, they could'e tested them at SC. It's bad enough UP has 4 different local bus types, but on top of that 2 express bus types?

When the whole 'trial' is done, they should have the Novas at UP, NFx at QV, and O7 3g at SI.

That's awesome. It shows either JG really takes great care of its buses or NF does a fantastic job with the NF CNGs. Sadly can't say the same about the artics, but then again they were transfered back and forth from Manhattan and the Bronx unlike the JG buses where they've been all these years.

Its a combination of both. NFI did an excellent job when it comes to the overall build quality of those buses, and Gleason has a damn good maintenance team anyway.

Thats and idea, but it would defeat the whole purpose of the test program, which is to run alots of each bus out of the same depot for head-to-head comparisons. I'm not bying the fact that they have too many buses and not enough room to store parts. I'm pretty sure MTA planned for all that seeing as I posted on this new BTE program in the summer of 2010. That means i had to be in the works prior to me finding out about it. But who knows right?? As for DesignLine, that order was for 90 buses as well, as all BTE programs are. MTA just ended up cancelling the order prior to all of the buses being delivered.

Since Nova and Prevost are under the same umbrella (Volvo), maybe the MTA should have the Nova and Prevost buses in the same depots:

Seeing that Yukon has Prevosts, they should get Novas. Ulmer Park should keep their Novas and Prevosts. Let Castleton and Queens Village split the Orion Third Gens and Xcelsiors.

That doesn't really make a difference. They are still 2 completely different buses, that require completely different parts and maintenance programs. Having them under the same roof wouldn't change a thing, nor create any type of synergy.

No, the problem isn't UP getting new buses, it's that they have too many different bus types for 1 depot to handle. If it was of just 1-2 new types, there would not be an issue over parts.

Yup, like I said there, if they really needed to test the Prevosts in Brooklyn, they could'e tested them at SC. It's bad enough UP has 4 different local bus types, but on top of that 2 express bus types?

When the whole 'trial' is done, they should have the Novas at UP, NFx at QV, and O7 3g at SI.

Well ulmer park will have " rts , prevost , mci's , lfs , xcelsiors & orions and the rts demo thats coming out , one to yukon & one to ulmer park .

4845 out of service farebox out , 9405 farebox still in but out of service , 5121 out back farebox still in . 9425 out back out of service farebox out , 7035 out back out of service farebox out , 8031/4851/9177 no farebox in all out of service . 9177 is going to scrap or mta bus , dont know where the others are going or what they're doing but I will find out for yall . 7604 has the new decal scheme like 7586 .

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT!! ULMER PARK NOW HAS TOO MANY BUSES?!?!! WHAT?!!?

they've has RTS for the past 10years...now too many new buses...oohh noo!!

ok....what about west farms?!?! queens village?!?! they have alot of different buses and arent having problems...why ulmer...this doesnt make any sense!! they better keep all there new buses and get rid of those boring RTS that we had for the past 10years!! theses new buses we have are great and they cant leave sooo soon!!

yeah I will have to agree, if anything Staten Island should have never gotten these test buses, Manhattanville should have gotten these also, its unfair of what they are doing, and screw West Farms , I hate that depot now, its shows the true colors of the MTA

yeah I will have to agree, if anything Staten Island should have never gotten these test buses, Manhattanville should have gotten these also, its unfair of what they are doing, and screw West Farms , I hate that depot now, its shows the true colors of the MTA

True colors? You're making this sound like you had an intimate relationship with the MTA :o

Mannyville in general dont really need new buses, their fleet age is young, getting new buses would make the fleet age imbalanced and the OGs and/or NGs would have nowhere to go in reality. I actually support Staten Island getting these buses because it proves a lot of things with these buses, specifically these.

#1. How they can handle the roads

#2. How they can take the hills

#3. How they can take the crowds

As for West Farms, why hate on a depot when you wouldn't ride the equipment? That's like buying a bag of chips just to throw it in the garbage.

WF getting screwed?

You're getting brand new NF CNGs'.

Don't like CNG's? Sorry. You have a CNG filling station, so you're getting them.

4845 out of service farebox out , 9405 farebox still in but out of service , 5121 out back farebox still in . 9425 out back out of service farebox out , 7035 out back out of service farebox out , 8031/4851/9177 no farebox in all out of service . 9177 is going to scrap or mta bus , dont know where the others are going or what they're doing but I will find out for yall . 7604 has the new decal scheme like 7586 .

Wow why are there new buses without fare boxes...they were already in them....why take them out...and will 5121 go back into service??

Wow why are there new buses without fare boxes...they were already in them....why take them out...and will 5121 go back into service??

I dont know , if i knew i would of posted why . Maybe the fareboxes are going to be changed I dont know ! and yes 5121 will go back into service obviously if the box is still in . It just had a small fire last week so yes it will go back into service when they feel like fixing it .

9492 at 126th st.

9427 is also at 126, I forgot to mention it on Friday.

As for buses without fareboxes, I think I mentioned it.in another thread. If a bus is without its farebox it means one of 2 things...its either out of service permanently (eastchester bound) or its going somewhere other than MTA property to be serviced (warranty work from the vendor)

You beat me to it, I just saw it on the D Shuttle. The UP buses look like they've taken a decent bit of wear and tear, don't exactly look fresh... And farebox out could just mean MTA Bus too, right?

Yea but the new buses wouldnt go to mta bus , the rts w.o fareboxes can mean scrap/mta bus or a new depot or they would just put in a new farebox .

9427 is also at 126, I forgot to mention it on Friday.

As for buses without fareboxes, I think I mentioned it.in another thread. If a bus is without its farebox it means one of 2 things...its either out of service permanently (eastchester bound) or its going somewhere other than MTA property to be serviced (warranty work from the vendor)

I forgot about that one i saw it the other night too in back of 9639 & yea they are probably going to get some vendor work . Thats basically it for the new buses , just vendor work and other modifications & they have no more problems with the buses .