The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post some updates in this thread. I'll post some for now.

As some of you guys may know, HTC has announced is 2012 lineup of "One" series phones. You can check them out here

News is flying around that Nokia will be making tablets running Windows 8. I think that would be pretty sweet in my opinion considering their success with Windows Phone. A Windows 8 tablet would be interesting.

Report can be read here

A supposed image of the new Samsung Galaxy S III has been leaked. Check it out and see for yourself if this could be it or not!

GK0Ih.jpg

Supposedly rocking a 12MP Camera and Android 4.0 ICS.

And one of the currently most infamous rumors since last year.....the iPhone 5. Yes, that rumor has resurfaced thanks to the iPad 3! Rumors are flying around that the phone will be coming with a bigger screen, better camera, and the latest rumor, a new interface. The rumor of the new interface can be read here.

That's it for now. More info coming later in the day!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

iPhone 4 currently, strongly debating whether I should get the motorola droid razr or the htc Titan anyone have a opinion on this?

Depends on what you like, actually. If you just want something somewhat simplistic, the HTC Titan is for you. If you want access to decent apps + customization features, I'd go Droid Razr.

Man, I wish they released Droids that can be used with SIM cards & are HSPA+ compatible, ugh!! Those damn droid sliders are the only reason I would go to Verizon!!

EDIT - While we are on the topic of the HTC Titan, here is a review of the HTC Titan II

Edited by Cait Sith

Those Windows phones seem pretty snazzy.

One phone that is very underrated is the Nokia N96. It has an antenna for radio and television, supports two SIM cards, and can browse the internet very easily. It also has a touchscreen, and yes, it is integrated with Windows Phone OS.

Windows Phones are rather underrated, but really great phones. They don't need as much power to operate either as all they can use is a 1 GHZ Snapdragon Processor and the phone would run lightning fast as it is. I got to play around with one of Nokia's WP7 phones and my god, Nokia's phones are GORGEOUS! It's being rumored that Sprint might get a Nokia Lumia 900 variant which is Windows Phone 7 WITH...a slide out QWERTY Keyboard. Now if I was with Sprint, that would be my pick if its true!

Holy sh*t. I haven't caught up on the one series drama in a while.

It's gotten worse.

1) Locked Bootloader

2) Numerous screen defects

3) Deformed plastics

4) Faulty Wi-Fi.

They sure are having fun with those multi-hundred dollar lemons, aren't they?

Had quite the experience with Sprint over the past few weeks. My Evo Shift's screen was going nuts, and it wasn't recognizing touch properly. So I took it in to the Sprint store, got a free replacement, and within a few days the screen just stopped lighting up on that. So, I took it in AGAIN, got another replacement today, and now the U button on the keyboard won't work unless you push hard on it. I pointed it out to the guys in the Sprint store as it was like that when I picked it up, but they refused to replace this one, they don't think you have to press hard on it, so I really don't know what to do.

Had quite the experience with Sprint over the past few weeks. My Evo Shift's screen was going nuts, and it wasn't recognizing touch properly. So I took it in to the Sprint store, got a free replacement, and within a few days the screen just stopped lighting up on that. So, I took it in AGAIN, got another replacement today, and now the U button on the keyboard won't work unless you push hard on it. I pointed it out to the guys in the Sprint store as it was like that when I picked it up, but they refused to replace this one, they don't think you have to press hard on it, so I really don't know what to do.

I'm pretty sure your phone will reach 4G speeds while going through Sprint's storefront window.

Or just keep arguing. If it doesn't work , there's always the not so good way of getting a replacement, something that I had to resort to myself once.

• 2 weeks later...

Engadget via FierceWireless - "Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo shattered many a hopes and dreams today speaking at the J.P. Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference. During his address, Shammo indicated that customers who have been grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan may soon find themselves pushed into tiered territory, with the debut of the carrier's shared data plans. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said, clarifying that, "a lot of our 3G base is on unlimited... [and] when they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share." Obviously, with many customers clinging desperately to their truly unlimited usage in the shift to LTE, such a move would ruffle more than a few feathers. It's not clear if this will affect customers who have already made the leap to LTE devices or if it will be limited to customers migrating from 3G phones after a particular cut off date. We've reached out to Verizon for comment, but so far Big Red is keeping mum. We'll just have to take Shammo at his word for now. We hope you like data caps. To hear the comments in full hit up the source link.

Update: We just finished listening through the entire webcast (we're still waiting for the transcript) and found the quote that is going to make most customers shake their fists in anger:

"LTE is our anchor point for data share. So, as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go on to the data share plan. And moving away from, if you will, the unlimited world and moving everyone into a tiered structure data share plan."

Doesn't get much clearer than that, but we're still hoping Verizon will come back and say Shammo was speaking out of turn... fingers crossed."

Source Link: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/verizon-cfo-says-grandfathered-unlimited-plans-on-the-way-out/

I don't see the big deal... I do just fine with 10GB of data and 1,000 text messages a month. It's been like this in Europe for years. The thing is the Americans are used to having everything in excess and unlimited quantities. We've had it good for way too long... Cheap gas... Cheap food... Now folks have to cut back and they can't adjust. It's all about living in a more simple manner.