The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

I got the iphone 5 the day it came out and i must its stupid fast. The hd video is amazing, and the low light feature for night pics is sick. Those droid phones have a problem with battery life and overheating, alot of my fellow co workers have the droid phones, and they all complain about them. During my 11hr work days my iphone 5 lasts my entire shift.

My Galaxy S2 lasts 14 hours with WIFI on. Ironically enough, a lot of people I know switched from iPhone to the S3/Note 2 & I've yet to hear problems from them.

Especially after rooting them.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>say this:

LG can't get anything right.

Their successor to the G2.

Those Optimus POSs.

Their horrible MyTouch phones.

And now they're going to ruin the Nexus line with their mediocre phones.

>get this:

IMG_20121223_033132.jpg

"wat do?"

Edited by rr4567

I have the Galaxy S2 for Sprint. currently waiting for my upgrade for the Galaxy S3. I never liked iPhone nor do i want iPhone, i feel that the phone is nothing but "hype" plus the graphics/features on the Galaxys are sick

Ex: the way you unlock your phone, backgrounds, applications, etc.

Iphone had the same (Slide to Unlock) security system since the first iPhone.

I have the Galaxy S2 for Sprint. currently waiting for my upgrade for the Galaxy S3. I never liked iPhone nor do i want iPhone, i feel that the phone is nothing but "hype" plus the graphics/features on the Galaxys are sick

Ex: the way you unlock your phone, backgrounds, applications, etc.

Iphone had the same (Slide to Unlock) security system since the first iPhone.

PREACH!!!!!!!

so the United States government is going backwards? lol

Maybe they aren't... Blackberry is not progressing in terms of technology and Apple announced that they're shifting some production of their products to the US (FINALLY <_< ) so this could be the start of some good things... I can't imagine how many more folks would be iPhones if they were made here in the good old US of A... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to that list. As an Android user for the last 2 and a half years, I have been ready for a change. Not because of the platform, but because of my phone. The HTC EVO 4G. #Fail

Since my next upgrade is not until September, I decided to try out the iPhone for myself and see if I like it. The plan was if I don't like it, I would upgrade to a Galaxy S4, and if I do, I would upgrade to an iPhone 5s.

9 days ago I purchased an iPhone 4 8GB for my birthday. This was a way to test out the platform, and the iOS 6 software by getting a cheap phone, and still having my upgrade option in September.

After 9 days, I have made my decision. iOS it is for me! I hear tons of people say they switched from Android and don't like it, but I do.

So next month, I am going to just got the 5 because I cant wait for the 5s, and I'm quite sure it won't be too much different.

• 2 weeks later...

In just under 12 hours at the time of this post, Research In Motion, Ltd will hold their Blackberry 10 Launch event! For those of you who don't know, The rumors of blackberry's demise are greatly exaggerated. It began 2 years ago with the acquisition of QNX. QNX is a software company whose OS is one of the most reliable Real Time Multitasking Os' on the market. It powers NASA equipment, military equipment and its even in your cars. Well now it will be in your smartphone. Gone will be the java based, never-ending-hourglass OS that has powered their devices for the last 15 years. Here will be the new, sleek, powerful and fast devices that wi;; usher in a new era of the iconic smartphones. At 10 am EST on January 30th, RIM CEO Thorston Heins will unveil to the world the future of what he calls "mobile computing".

This wont be your daddy's BlackBerry.

Thats the image those here in the US have had towards Blackberry. "Its old. Its slow. There's no apps. They are done". Tomorrow those comments will go out the window.

Its evolved into an all around device. Its new, fast and, oh yeah, the apps will be there. But its fast desktop-like browser, might negate the need for apps. 

Remember, apps 6 years ago were to fill in the gaps where most mobile browsers fell short.

And dont think certain other Smartphones will still be innovative. Samsung's file transfer "tapping" was introduces on current Blackberry devices a year and a half ago, and will be once again available with the new devices and Named 'Blackberry Tag'. Apple, who saw a less than enthusiastic response to its recent iOS 6 with the introduction of the iPhone 5, and its iPad mini, will become the oldest mobile OS on the planet-a title Blackberry held until tomorrow morning. And some consumers wont have to wait long to get their hands on one of their first 2 devices. The full touchscreen-said to be called the Blackberry Z10-will begin its life with online orders from Vodaphone right after the launch event with the device hitting their stores on the 31st-the next day. As for here in the US, All four major carriers -Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile-have all officially thrown their hats into the BB10 ring. T-Mobile announced a March 27th availability while details from the other carriers are rumored to make their announcements during or just after the launch event. 

Now as a 6 year Blackberry user, im excited at what lies ahead. Hearing stories of retail sales associates in various stores giving misinformation about the "demise of Blackberry" are one that has given me a good laugh. I would like to see their faces when RIM's Super Bowl commercial hits the airwaves during the game this Sunday. For those who would like more information, its all over the web. Google 'Blackberry 10' for info. For those who would like to watch the Launch Event live tomorrow morning at 10, RIM will be web-casting it. I personally frequent Crackberry so that's where I will be watching it. 

2013 looks to be the year for BlackBerry. I, as a tech enthusiast, have been waiting 2 years for this day! 

My brother had the Blackberry storm, and hated it because the touchscreen calibration wasn't that good. My mom has gone through several Blackberries in the past few years and she thinks they're alright but not the greatest phones. Personally, I would like to see how the App Store turns out in a couple of months after this phone has been on the market for some time. I want to see what developers are attracted to the Blackberry API and if anything really good comes exclusive to them.

My brother had the Blackberry storm, and hated it because the touchscreen calibration wasn't that good. My mom has gone through several Blackberries in the past few years and she thinks they're alright but not the greatest phones. Personally, I would like to see how the App Store turns out in a couple of months after this phone has been on the market for some time. I want to see what developers are attracted to the Blackberry API and if anything really good comes exclusive to them.

the Storm was a complete bust! Horrible touch UI and that was because they tried to optimize a java-based non-touch UI tona touch device and tried to incorporate a "click" screen to simulate a button press. BB10 is a whole new ballgame! Its built on the QNX real-time-multitasking micro kernel(already used on their PlayBook tablet and btw, its a pretty great beast!) and was the base for the new OS. BB10 is built from scratch and not one line of code from the old legacy java based OS was used. Its built specifically for a touch device and even the QWERTY model coming out is a touch device but with a physical keyboard. all navigation and actions are touch/guesture based. No menu, back or home buttons. And as far as apps, RIM....er, BlackBerry-as they are now called-has made it easy for devs to build and even port for BB10. Skype has already publically annlunced that not only will it be available on BB10, but they are working closely with BB to optimaize their Skype for Android app for full integration on BB10. There's an "Android Runtime" emulator that runs andriod apps ported (with the inclusion of BB api's) for the BB10. The PlayBook OS 2.0-introduced a year ago-features this.I'm using it right now as Tapatalk for the PlayBook is an Android port. The populat Angry Birds is not only available, but Developer "Rovio" builds it native for BB. Angry Birds:Star Wars is already available for BB10 and is free. other apps(like Instagram) are on the way. There's e en leaks of info that Netflix is working on a BB10 app as well. US carriers are righ now testing the devices for a March release. There's a very positive buzz for both the Z10 touch and Q10 qwerty models. This isnt the old BB we all knew from the past. The browser alone is not only desktop quality, but renders pages quicker since its built with html5. And don't get me started on the Cascades interface! I have he Pacemaker DJ app which was the first built in Cascades and its phenominal! best $20 I ever spent for an app!!!

best part about the new OS, no reboots, no battery pulls, no "spinning hourglass of death"!

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

That's great that there are that many developers preparing and launching apps for this new Blackberry. Still, I would wait the couple of months to see the reputation the phone builds (not just first impressions) before making an educated decision of switching.

LINK: http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/this-android-smartphone-is-handmade-in-england-and-costs-19900/?utm_source=Blog&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=vertu+ti

Vertu-Ti.png

Handmade in England, each unit signed by the craftsman who assembled it. The Vertu Ti is a smartphone crafted from grade 5 titanium with a sapphire crystal screen. It runs Android 4.0 and has a 8 MP camera that can capture 1080p video. Additionally, the Vertu Ti’s product page claims the smartphone’s sound system is tuned in collaboration with the London Symphony Orchestra.

The price of the device is not listed on the official page, but SlashGear says it’s priced as low as $9,600 for the “entry level” version and as high as $19,900 for the “Black PVD Titanium Red Gold Mixed Metals” model. If you like what you see and you end up with this phone, we recommend this app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ld5nouYGrA

LOL... When I think of England and handmade, I usually think of expensive handmade calfskin shoes running $500.00 and up a pair... I pass that Vertu store over on Madison often... I wonder how much business they do there. Handmade in England for shoes I can see since all of the parts can be from England, Made in England for electronics is hilarious because I'm sure that at least some part of the phone must have parts from China.  If not that then that's damn impressive and certainly explains the price.

I've been saving my upgrade since November of last year for one of these phones. Been following the coverage on Blackberry's newest QNX-powered OS ever since it was announced.

I've been impressed since seeing the initial reveal of this new operating system and the one thing that won me over from day one was the predictive keyboard feature. I was firmly against touchscreen phones for the longest but that changed my mind in a heartbeat. I love my Curve 9300 but it's about ready to buy the farm any day now and with only a month to go roughly I hope it can last it.

I've been #TeamBlackberry since I picked up my Curve a little over two years ago and haven't looked back. Looking forward to a better future with these phones. If any of you is curious about the nature of such phones I will direct you to www.crackberry.com, a great Blackberry-based news site for fans alike. You'll learn a lot about the gesture-based system the BB10 OS employs and how to use it.

LOL... When I think of England and handmade, I usually think of expensive handmade calfskin shoes running $500.00 and up a pair... I pass that Vertu store over on Madison often... I wonder how much business they do there. Handmade in England for shoes I can see since all of the parts can be from England, Made in England for electronics is hilarious because I'm sure that at least some part of the phone must have parts from China.  If not that then that's damn impressive and certainly explains the price.

Hmm, didn't know there was a Vertu store in Manhattan. Frankly, before now, I hadn't heard of Vertu.

Lol wait until it gets onto quibids.com

Not likely. QuiBids does more commercial products, maybe expensive jewelery. Not phones like this.

Hmm, didn't know there was a Vertu store in Manhattan. Frankly, before now, I hadn't heard of Vertu.

Not likely. QuiBids does more commercial products, maybe expensive jewelery. Not phones like this.

Yeah I'm familiar with 'em... I always knew they were high-end, but I never see anyone go into the store there on Madison, nor did I know that the phones were handmade and in England nonetheless...