9/11: 9 years later

Shortline Bus

9 years ago, this Saturday Sept. 11, 2010, marks the darkest chapter in NYC and maybe US History. The '9/11" attacks.

So instead of focusing on the news aspect of it, just want to know where were you on that infamous day almost a decade ago? Also should '9/11' become a national holiday?

I offer my reply later so guys it's your time to reflect.:cry:

It also bothered the hell of me why just a week or two after 9/11, I also saw commericals gold coins or street vendors selling 9/11 t-shirts as well.:mad: That why our society here in America and worldwide is going down the tubes but that another topic.

Because when events like this happen the scam artist come out to play, the stupid ones are the ones who bought this crap and the smart ones are the ones selling this material.

I was in 2nd grade at the time. My school owned a parking lot across the street from the school building. We usually never played there, I'm not sure why we were there that day. Toward the end, we cross the street. It's a one-way street so we looked to the left to see if cars we coming. Just above the cars was this huge thick pile of smoke. We had no idea what it was. I remember school closed earlier and I went home. My mom said I couldn't watch any TV (because of the antenna)...I don't really remember what happened after that. One of my friends mom made it out 60 flights of stairs, but my other friends mom didn't make it. :cry::P

Here are my memory I type in other thread titled "What is Your 9-11-01 Story

Since September 11th is very soon. I like to share my memory.

On September 11th, 2001.

I was living in 1771 1st Av at that time going to High School for Envrionmental Studies. My mom and I not news person, and that day I had doctor's appointment at Mt. Sinai Hospital.

After that appointment, I went to 5th Av & W. 102nd St stop and waited for M106.

As I paid my fare with Student MetroCard, I heard man was talking with B/O about plane.

I got off at Central Park West & West 97th St waited for downtown (:P or (C).

After while, train was not showing up, so when I got near turnstile, I heard two mens exchanging: "No train. Plane hit the tower."

I thought that time only downtown (:D© was suspended, so I ran to 94th St/Broadway entrance of 96th St IRT Station and waited for downtown (1)(2)(3).

Passengers and we were waiting for downtown as uptown trains were rushing through including Redbird, even (5) train was rushing up on (2).

After several moments, station announcement say: "Ladies & Gentlemen! Because of plane hit the tower, all subway services are suspended."

So, I rush to M5 Southbound stop at Riverside Drive & W. 97th St because I did not want to cut school.

When M5 Southbound open, it was RTS bus and overcrowded just like (J)(S) Bus over Williamsburg Bridge.

Soon as I got off M5 bus at W. 72nd St & Broadway, and transfer to M57 Eastbound across the street which was not crowded.

I got off at 57th St-10th Av and went I got to HSES, security thought I was cutting, but I told her I just got here from hospital. Ms. Yuka Bell, my paraproffesional told her that and it was at 4th period, which was my computer period.

Everyone was watching 9-11 news.

After-school, school bus company call school because it was based out of Queens to indicate traffic is halted from bridges and tunnels, but my mom came to pick me up.

As we enter to 57th St-8th Av, M31 bus came but my Student MetroCard was used up on suspended subway service, I told B/O, "I wasted my fare on subway that never comes." So, he did not say anything.

We took M31 ride straight home to 1st Av/91st St. As M31 was running eastbound on 57th St, we saw smoke coming out of tower very far away.

After I got home, I visted Yorkville Firehouse (my former neighborhood), and everyone was covered in dust.

When I turned to watch my favorite TV Shows, it was unlucky because every channels were turned onto 9-11 story.

After that event, I write sorrow message at fire station, well as attended 9-11 FDNY Brother funeral (even thought I don't like to go into Church). and head to Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Some security guards who were working at Roof Garden thought that smoke, too.

On Saturday following days, I thought every channel might be during 9-11 story and Pokemon show on KidsWB11 will not been show, but KidsWB11 was regular and I missed half of episode. Rest of channel was still talking about tragedy.

I only type mostly on computer because it is only 9-11 story for few weeks until my favorite shows return. My another best friend, Firefighter Vincient Kane, Engine 22 died in that event.

What is this make it a holiday crap? Doesn't this country harp on 9/11 enough already? It should be left as is, a day remembrance and that's it. Honestly, I'm actually sick of all this 9/11 propaganda.

Playing devil advocate if you make 9/11 a national holiday, then those from the world war 2 era, will also want a holiday for the attack on Pearl Harbor as well.

Okay here's the thing...Veteran's day is considered a holiday as we honor those who fought in the greatest wars ever before our time. We honor our presidents the second Monday of February. We honor Dr. King on the third Monday of January. We even honor Columbus the second Monday of October. What makes these days so special to consider holidays (not trying to sound uptight here) that we can't honor 3800 people for a whole day other than a subtle "moment of silence" at 8:46, 9:02, 9:59 and 10:28?

Okay here's the thing...Veteran's day is considered a holiday as we honor those who fought in the greatest wars ever before our time. We honor our presidents the second Monday of February. We honor Dr. King on the third Monday of January. We even honor Columbus the second Monday of October. What makes these days so special to consider holidays (not trying to sound uptight here) that we can't honor 3800 people for a whole day other than a subtle "moment of silence" at 8:46, 9:02, 9:59 and 10:28?

This is a tough and diffcult call as I am myself divided and not sure on whether 9/11 should be a national holiday? I will say that R32 makes a good point that if you did make that awful event, a day to close schools, government offices, etc. some cheesy company or people will exploit it.

This is a tough and diffcult call as I am myself divided and not sure on whether 9/11 should be a national holiday? I will say that R32 makes a good point that if you did make that awful event, a day to close schools, government offices, etc. some cheesy company or people will exploit it.

I'd think that the government should step in to prevent such things from happening. Personally, I don't have a problem with the coin minting with the towers on the coins as that's something commemorative-wise. In 2003 a company was selling model towers as well and I look at it as more than just the company to make money but as something someone can have to remember the events because it's something that we should, well...never forget. But when you have a "9/11 furniture sale" then I'd look into that as a slap in the face and I'd look down on both customer and consumer.

Where was I: I was attending the High School of Economics and Finance (two blocks south of 2 World Trade) when the attacks happened. When the first plane hit, I originally thought some of the cafeteria workers had dropped a table (this was around the time where they folded up all the lunch tables to clean the cafeteria) until our principal told us to evacuate the building. by the time my class got to the first floor, we were quickly ushered back upstairs. For whatever reason, we weren't told what happened until it came time to evacuate the building, and by that time the second plane had already hit (me and some friends secretly turned on a radio and heard the coverage). We were ordered to evacuate to the Bowling Green area via Greenwich Street (right above the (1)(9)). When we got there, the South tower collapsed. I was pushed onto a bench and was all but trampled on as everyone tried to flee.

I was only down for about ten seconds, but it honestly felt like forever, and I honestly thought I was going to die there. Me and some friends made it to a restaurant and stayed there until about 1230. I didn't make it home until 2 or 3pm.

The two things that haunt me about that day were the smell (if you haven't been there it's something that cant be described) and the faces of the missing. Families posted fliers all over the city, including where I live and every time I went outside I would tear up seeing those faces.

Should it be a holiday: I cringe at the idea of the worst day of my life being classified amongst a group of days where we normally celebrate things.

I was in the 1st grade (in a school in Kingsbridge, Bronx). 1 by 1 each student was being picked up. I was the 5th, 6th ,or 7th one to leave. My grandmother came to pick me up. I asked her: "What happened...why is everyone leaving the school. Where's my Mommy?!" She replied in a way I would understand: "2 planes hit some very tall buildings. Your mom is fine she's in manhattan around 42st. She said she couldn't pick you up now because the subway is not running." I said: "Are you sure? (I was a big fan of trains since I was 6 months old, not lying, I had loved trains so much that I memorized the NYC Subway map when I was 2 1/2 - 3 years old) I don't think they would stop every single train...but they did." My mom picked me up around 2:30pm.

My mom was at Jay Street-Borough Hall Station around 8:50am. She went up the stairs and saw everyone talking, crying, hugging, etc. She asked: "What happened?" Someone replied: "A plane has hit the World Trade Center! A plane was flying unusually low...very low. All financial buildings, markets, Board of Ed, etc has been closed." She went back downstairs to catch the (A) Train. A (C) Train entered...slowly. She wanted an express, to get home faster since the building she had to go to was closed, Board of Ed I believe. She almost let the train leave...A voice inside her said, "Get on the local, there is a bomb somewhere in the subway!!! (There wasn't though)" She followed her heart and took the (C) local. It ran okay until 42st-Port Authority Bus Terminal. The train came into the station very slowly. The train only came 5 meters into the station. Just enough for only one door to enter the station. The NYPD forcibly opened the one door (without the key, the nypd officer used his/her hands to pull apart the door.) An announcement then came on the PA: "Ladies and Gentlemen, there is no subway service at this time, All subway service has been halted! Please make your way into the first car and exit through the front door (door # R1 or L1, not the conducters cab)." My mom then used a cab to get to 207st. She then walked home, about 2 miles.

9/11 should not be a holliday. I can't imagine someone saying "happy September 11th" :tdown:

I was starting HS when it happened.didn't even know what was happening at the time,the first hint i got was as i was walking out of the locker room after gym.i saw a few teachers seeing the TV,so i thought nothing of it.then as i was having my lunch period,a few kids mentioned a plane going into a building.thought they were talking about something else,it wasn't until i went to my U.S history class on the 4th floor that i saw a cloud of smoke rising.our teacher had told everything that had happen.wasn't till i got home that the full scope of that day hit me.

I still remember that day and i'll never forget the images i'v seen from that day.

9 years ago, this Saturday Sept. 11, 2010, marks the darkest chapter in NYC and maybe US History. The '9/11" attacks.

So instead of focusing on the news aspect of it, just want to know where were you on that infamous day almost a decade ago? Also should '9/11' become a national holiday?

I offer my reply later so guys it's your time to reflect.:cry:

My location was posted in the topic that was made last year :P

I was living in Queens at the time when all of these events occurred. Getting out of school early because of these attacks. It was really crazy. Next day, all of the neighbors were hanging up their U.S flags outside, I did the same. It was an unforgettable time at my old area in Queens.

Though in my honest opinion, people really need to move on. Sure this was one of the worst things that has happened in the U.S, but it was the worst for us New Yorkers. People really need to stop imposing those so-called "9/11 rules and changes" bullshit.

All 9/11 basically did was make people think that they are above other people, especially photographers & tourists alike. It made people more paranoid about people of a certain racial background or religion, and thats the one thing that has struck a nerve since then. Being an indian man, whenever I get spoken to by cops when railfanning, they automatically assume that I'm Muslim, other people who were with me would tell you the same thing when cops would speak to me. There's a huge difference between an Arab and an Indian, but now, cops and other people just assume the worst with all of the groups until you explain yourself.

I understand that 9/11 has finally made people aware of things, but what people really need to do is think rationally and try to move on. This whole "because of 9/11, you cant do this or that" shit really needs to stop. People are paranoid with tourists, rail/bus fans and even regular photographers, this is just bloody annoying to me and to other people out there. 9/11 should be a day of remembrance and to honor those who have fallen at the scenes of the attacks, the heroes helped the survivors, the workers who are rebuilding the site & the men and women overseas who have defended our country from the terrorists, not some shitty made up reason to restrict people from doing what they already know is legal and perfectly fine to do. 9/11 should never be a holiday.

Not to get too off topic but does anyone remember the TV coverage of 9/11? Regular shows was cancelled for a record 5 straight days. Plus since the local NYC stations had their tv towers at the WTC, stations being off the air for a few weeks.

Plus does anyone remember listening to Howard Stern that day?

I hear howard everyday for the past 17 years and I had him on that day, I was switching between him and 1010 wins. I had little to no cell phone service also.

On that day I was in Music class and I heard a couple of kids passing by the classroom saying how they had th school locked down and that they wanted to go home.A few moments later the Dean came in and her first words was "The twin towers is no more" The class looked puzzled and confused then she went further into detail.At the end of school There were these teens going around looking for Muslims to beat up.At the tim I was living in East Elmhurst and every business and restaurant was closed,Astoria Blvd was deserted and everyone had candles out on their door steps.:P

I'm remembering when i was eleven years old and i came from school here in Germany and make the tv on and i saw a burning tower in the special report. I saw it live when the second airplane had flown into the second tower. It was the most schocking moment in my life. Everybody thought that it was war. The german army had almost mobilized their forces. I've never forget the next schoolday when we had no lessons, but had talked about it. My condolences to all the people who died at this day.

Though in my honest opinion, people really need to move on. Sure this was one of the worst things that has happened in the U.S, but it was the worst for us New Yorkers. People really need to stop imposing those so-called "9/11 rules and changes" bullshit.

All 9/11 basically did was make people think that they are above other people, especially photographers & tourists alike. It made people more paranoid about people of a certain racial background or religion, and thats the one thing that has struck a nerve since then. Being an indian man, whenever I get spoken to by cops when railfanning, they automatically assume that I'm Muslim, other people who were with me would tell you the same thing when cops would speak to me. There's a huge difference between an Arab and an Indian, but now, cops and other people just assume the worst with all of the groups until you explain yourself.

I understand that 9/11 has finally made people aware of things, but what people really need to do is think rationally and try to move on. This whole "because of 9/11, you cant do this or that" shit really needs to stop. People are paranoid with tourists, rail/bus fans and even regular photographers, this is just bloody annoying to me and to other people out there. 9/11 should be a day of remembrance and to honor those who have fallen at the scenes of the attacks, the heroes helped the survivors, the workers who are rebuilding the site & the men and women overseas who have defended our country from the terrorists, not some shitty made up reason to restrict people from doing what they already know is legal and perfectly fine to do. 9/11 should never be a holiday.

This young man brings up another intresting issue and not trying to get off topic but 9/11 has many issues that will take a long time to address. Every year since '01 on the anniversary of the attacks, the cable news stations (Fox, CNN and MSNBC) along with all of the local NYC stations Ch.2/CBS, Ch.4/NBC, Ch.5/Fox, Ch.7/ABC, and Ch.11/WPIX have shown the cermony.

About a year or two ago, WABC-TV/Ch.7 in NY, wanted to show 'regular programming' i.e "Live with Regis and Kelly" "Rachel Ray" & 'the View" instead of the 9/11 event before getting thousands of viewer complaints and backed off.

Ch.7 claimed it has also gotten hundred of complaints of it's morning shows being pre-emented.

Should the local NYC and Cable TV New stations permanently continue to on the '9/11' anniversary, show the memorial for a couple of hours every year?

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I was in second grade back then. I had a math test. The time was 8:30 am. I was sitting at a window seat so I could see the North Tower from my window. The North Tower blocked the South Tower from my perspective. I finished the test at 8:55 am. That's when I looked up and I saw an explosion or a fireball coming from the North Tower. Of course I was young and I didn't know what happened. So I looked back down and reviewed my test paper.

When I was done I looked back up and I saw the North Tower on fire. Again I was young and I didn't know what was going on. All I saw was a cloud of rich black coming out of the building and crossing our way. A few minutes later our assistant principal came in and told us and our teacher that something happened at the World Trade Center. When I asked my assistant principal why everyone was leaving she told me some aircraft has been hijacked and had hit the World Trade Center.

Again I didn't know so when I was leaving the school, and also because I was young I asked my grandfather who picked me up what happened and why were we leaving. He told me the same thing. When I got home and saw my younger brother. I turned on the TV. That's when everything even cartoons vanished and every channel was talking about the Twin Towers. On TV I witnessed the second plane hit the South Tower. I also saw both the towers fall. I didn't know what was going on and I regret that I didn't know.

Today I want to mention that 9/11 shouldn't be holiday. The same thing with 12/7. If they were made holidays kids just want another day off. Not just that people would take advantage of them too. They should be day of rememberance not typical holidays. Not just that I always wanted the Twin Towers to be rebuilt. They would look the same but they feature more safety features. Not just that it should be rebuilt somewhere in New York. They would feature safety like staircases wide enough for four people. There would be 8 staircases four in the concrete core and four on the corners of the buildings. There would be 42 elevators in the core and 4 elevators in total on the corners that stop at the skylobbies. In case of a plane impact it would take out 42 elevators and the 4 staircases in the core but leave the ones on the corners intact allowing a quick evacuation for the people on the top floors. In fact the idea I am mentioning exists in one skyscraper. In the Shanghai WFC.

I agree with Cait Sith a little bit. Sometimes, people do have to learn to move on and continue living their lives because you cannot bring back your loved ones.

You're not getting the big picture. It's not just 3,000 people dying in Lower Manhattan, it was a planned terrorist attack on American soil.

I believe that they should light up where the twin towers were, like what they do every year, but it should not be considered a holiday. The paranoia will blow over like the paranoia of the Japanese during WWII, but for now discrimination WILL OCCUR. People whose parents and loved ones died that day will be forever scarred for life. I know many people who, because of 9/11, look at a certain religion negatively.

@CaitSith, The extra protection IS NECESSARY. Look at how many SERIOUS attempts at another attack on New York City there have been. There have been dozens and it is mainly due to the reason because people are reporting suspicious things and our intelligence organizations are picking up signals.

You're not getting the big picture. It's not just 3,000 people dying in Lower Manhattan, it was a planned terrorist attack on American soil.

I believe that they should light up where the twin towers were, like what they do every year, but it should not be considered a holiday. The paranoia will blow over like the paranoia of the Japanese during WWII, but for now discrimination WILL OCCUR. People whose parents and loved ones died that day will be forever scarred for life. I know many people who, because of 9/11, look at a certain religion negatively.

@CaitSith, The extra protection IS NECESSARY. Look at how many SERIOUS attempts at another attack on New York City there have been. There have been dozens and it is mainly due to the reason because people are reporting suspicious things and our intelligence organizations are picking up signals.

You clearly missed my point. I can already tell you didn't read the entire post properly

I dont mind the extra protection, shit, we need it now more than ever, but you dont go singling out KIDS, of all people, KIDS with CAMERAS assuming that they are up to no good, or assume what racial background or religion they are. THAT was my main gripe with my post, 9/11 brought out a lot of racism towards a lot of racial backgrounds and religions, in schools and all over the place.

Yeah 9/11 was a planned attack on American Soil, so was the 1993 WTC bombing & Pearl Harbor, lots of people died on those day too, not as much as on 9/11, but people moved on. How long is it going to take for people to seriously move on from 9/11? Its been 9 bloody years already, you cant bring back the dead.

Well, here's my story...

It was my first day of kindergarten, and i was playing outside at recess. Then all of a sudden, a group of parents rush into the school yard. My mom grabs me and runs home. Once we got home, we met my dad and brother at the door. We then went inside our apartment, and turned on "Good Day New York" just as the South Tower was hit. I started crying and kept asking why this was happening, and she told me she didn't know....It was the most traumatizng thing I've ever seen in my life....

Archived