El's, good bad or just plain ugly

Bus Guy

They are loud and noisy, but I like them. Even Chicago likes their El's. Though we demolished almost every single one we had. Still don't know why we couldn't have kept most of them. We could have boasted to Chicago we have El's and not just that we are way better then you guys are. Anyway I don't care if they block out the sun, disturb the neighborhood, or drops the real estate value. I like them because of their noise, the sound of being on a train running on an El, and when the sun reflects on the cars.

Els were a part of New York's character, and still are. Sadly no more will ever be built...it's too bad the Second Avenue El was torn down or we wouldn't be in this mess with the SAS and its 80-year delay, and other nonsense.

You can't say that New York won't build elevated lines forever. It might be off topic, but Honolulu is still going on with that elevated line project if I last remember. That means that New York in the future might gain an elevated line. Maybe because the area is too steep for a tunnel like 125th Street on the (1) or because they just chose to keep the price tag low. I believe that future elevated lines could be built out of thick glass that can't be scratched or vandalized that would allow the sun to shine through and runs in a 2 track configuration without a third rail but it runs on a 3rd rail voltage with only island platforms. On the Grand Canyon in Arizona they built a bridge out of nothing but thick glass. So that might be possible.

I like what they did over in Chelsea with the remnants of that el

That was actually a freight only line, but yes it is very cool, i've visited several times.

I personally think elevated rapid transit is the obvious way to go. The heat goes up and away from HVAC and brake grids, you can fiddle with your phone and text etc or work, you can see the city vs see the moldy crumbly basements some stations tend to be on the subway, fresh clean air, if there's a problem you don't need to climb through dank unsanitary tunnels without protective gear, it's less expensive than a tunnel while not intruding very much or at all with surface transportation. Also, you have the added bonus of being able to railfan from a residence/office. :cool:

I think they should bring them back, at least along the east and west sides, where there is little or far away subway service in manhattan. :tup:

- A

I Love ELs. I love the noise and its just plain cool seeing a subway car running above the cars and houses. When you think of subway you think of underground. I grew up next a block or 2 away from Baychester Av and I lived along Jerome Av for a while(167th Street). ELs are unique and amazing.

I Think ELs are fine for New York as mentioned earlier if we didnt tear down the 2ave EL we would have that money for a more better subway Projects In the city. I think the Upper East side would still be as prestigous as it is reagrdless if the el ran.Just like when and if the 2 ave subway gets done thru 125 st property values will skyrocket...Let me say also that critics argue that els are dirty,block sunlight below,noisy..Yea this is True but Try knockin down the 2/4/5/6 Els and see wat that does for the City...

I like El's. One of the worst things that NYC ever did was demolish the El's around the city without having a proper replacement ready. Yes, it can be an eyesore for some but it helps to get you from point A to point B and I wish we would bulid more El's but the way New York is today, nobody has the guts to propose to make one, let alone build one. There has to be so many silly studies and a million and one public meetings over the project. They cost just as much at the project itself. Pure foolishness.

If it wasn't for EL I don't think NYC would have become the largest city in the world.

It was stupid to demolish the 3rd ave EL without a replacement,all because they wanted the Real Estate to go up on the East Side,it actually did more harm then good since the business along EL were gone and a overcrowded Lexington subway.

Personally, I think the Manhattan Valley Viaduct and 125th Street station are beautiful. I think the I.R.T. did right with this one.

125th Street during day. Note the graceful curving arch over a busy West 125th Street:

4386559990_d861994d09_z.jpg

And 125th Street in a beautiful sunset photo:

3970343929_dab341a071.jpg

Credit to the photographers who took these photos. :tup:

Els have more advantages than subway lines if done right, IMO. Cheaper to build and to maintain (for one you don't have to deal with tiles, water leakage, etc.), more scenic, can blend in with and enhance the community with the proper design, etc. The only things that are wrong with the city's current els are that some of them are too noisy and that they are an eyesore to the community. I think both problems could be solved if they were built as concrete els (which produce less noise), such as the "ornamental el" found on Queens Blvd. LIRR uses concrete els in most places and it's much less disruptive to the surrounding, much more residential neighborhoods than most subway els.

Els have more advantages than subway lines if done right, IMO. Cheaper to build and to maintain (for one you don't have to deal with tiles, water leakage, etc.), more scenic, can blend in with and enhance the community with the proper design, etc. The only things that are wrong with the city's current els are that some of them are too noisy and that they are an eyesore to the community. I think both problems could be solved if they were built as concrete els (which produce less noise), such as the "ornamental el" found on Queens Blvd. LIRR uses concrete els in most places and it's much less disruptive to the surrounding, much more residential neighborhoods than most subway els.

Hmmmm, wonder what the EL's will look like when they are concrete similar to the JFK AirTrain?

Personally, I think the Manhattan Valley Viaduct and 125th Street station are beautiful. I think the I.R.T. did right with this one.

125th Street during day. Note the graceful curving arch over a busy West 125th Street:

4386559990_d861994d09_z.jpg

And 125th Street in a beautiful sunset photo:

3970343929_dab341a071.jpg

Credit to the photographers who took these photos. :tup:

125th Street is one of my favorite stations in the system.

Those are some beautiful photos indeed!

I've always wondered what the East Side (especially the East Village) would have been like if the 3rd Avenue el hadn't been torn down. I doubt it would have stopped gentrification; estate agents would be touting the 'gritty, urban American feel' of the Bowery as they sell overpriced new developments to yupsters.

Archived