A Question for train/bus photographers?

MattTrain

Do you photo takers who take photos of buses/subways/railroads/etc... have ever run into trouble such as a train/bus operator showing his/her displeasure when you take a photo of his/her train and or bus?

I am asking this question because I never have any issues with any T/O, C/R, B/O and railroad engineer while photographing trains and buses.

I was stopped by cops a few times but I talked my way out of it. A T/Oonce told me not to take pictures. Once, I was railfanning with some others and this SIR engineer said we cannot photograph the crew. The same day, another SIR called the us in for "illegal photography". I notice that more female MTA workers give negative reactions to me railfanning. It also seems that male T/Os give positive reactions and one said that he was happy that there are young people that have an appreciation and interest in transit.

btw I was stopped once for photographing police activity.

Not only subway, bus or train, I learned from some, too.

At Bedford Park Blvd/Paul Av, when I was getting shot of last day of X32, BxM4A and change on Bx28, security guard from Bronx Science High School question and cop came. I even flash PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A CRIME (NYPD Photo Directive). As in result of them, I miss the Oakland Garden bus, so I had to wait for last X32 bus, Jamaica, so I went to Grand Concourse to take photos while I wait.

During my Boston Trip, when Mega Bus was taking break at Rest Area in CT at McDonald's, it was pulled up to Greyhound Bus.

I took picture first when there was no Greyhound B/O.

After he return, and when I videotape that bus, Greyhound B/O came out furious, banging his bus door, replied nasty: 'NO PICTURE! TAKE PICTURE OF YOUR DAMN BUS."

He should have said politely. How could I, tourist know the policy of Greyhound Bus?

When I take picture of interesting store at Simon Mall properly, manager does not attack me.

When I was getting picture of last N53 Ride on #1800, I couldn't take video because female B/O said, "No photo." even I show her NYPD Photo Directive.

Another time, when I was on (NJT) Hudson-Bergen Lightrail first time during first day of (NYCT) (S89) trip, when I try to get pic of digital announcement, T/O come out and no photograph inside.

When i was taking picture from front of Queens-bound platform while waiting for train, Police told me, I can't, but I show him the thing.

Last weekend, when I was on Manhattanville Orion VII Hybrid with female B/O on (F) express, I was trying to take pic of B103 because I thought all MV operators know me, but I guess she don't know me and told me, "No pic."

I guess I'm lucky. All the reactions I've ever had from t/o's and other MTA workers were positive. Their were many times where they would actually smile and wave to me and/or blow the horn in a friendly manner. Once a t/o was actually interested in seeing the photo's I've taken, he even asked if I wanted to take a shot of the cab.

Going toward MHV9218's point, I think the Bus or train operator and or conductor, the mood he/she's in at the moment can determine how he/she acts when a photo of their train/bus taken while they operate/conduct them. Luckily for me I haven't had anyone scold me for taking photos of the trains or buses. Police officers have seen me take photos plenty of times and I have not received one single reprimand for it, at all.

I do know plenty of bus and train operators and for the most part they don't mind me taking photos of their bus or train. Sometimes they would strike a pose for me and they would be in the photo too waiving and smiling as I would take their photo. I don't guarantee that this would happen all the time though, it depends on if the operator/conductor are camera shy or not. If he/she doesn't want his/her picture taken then I will have to respect that and move on.

I only had one minor incident when a (F) C/R waived "no-no" to me when I took a photo of an R-160B (F) train, but that's pretty much it.

So far, I have had no major problems photographing buses or trains.

Not only subway, bus or train, I learned from some, too.

At Bedford Park Blvd/Paul Av, when I was getting shot of last day of X32, BxM4A and change on Bx28, security guard from Bronx Science High School question and cop came. I even flash PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A CRIME (NYPD Photo Directive). As in result of them, I miss the Oakland Garden bus, so I had to wait for last X32 bus, Jamaica, so I went to Grand Concourse to take photos while I wait.

Since there are so many Asian students at Bronx Science, they probably thought you were one of them.

The interactions between transit personnel, cops and photographers have changed over time. In my experiences, I've had a few operators give me the death stare but that's nothing. Most of the operators are approving of the photography and do whatever they can to liven up the shot.

On the trains I've had a few run-ins with the police and employees. On the streets, not so much, although there was this one time I had a run-in with this B/O on the Q66 when I took a photo of her Orion 5.501 CNG she was driving...I was in Queensbridge by the train station (and yes, the projects) back in September when MTA Bus was covering the (G) shuttle...she basically abandoned her bus to question why I was taking photos...funny thing is that she caught me by surprise as I was with a few of my busfan frineds and the dispatcher at 21st Street didn't have a problem with us taking photos of the buses passing through. Other than that I know not to escalate the situation just as long as you know you're doing nothing wrong.

The one time I had a problem was with a construction flagmen on the (F) line. I was taking photos and the flagmen and a contractor start yelling that I can take photos so I told them hang on a sec while I finish what I'm doing then I'll deal with you. when I was done I walked to the platform where the flagmen and the contractor were. i asked the contractor if he was an employee of NYCT or a cop. When he said no, I told him to go f*ck himself. Then I told the flagmen I wanted his name and pass # at which point he started to walk away (just like cops, TA employees must give their name and Pass# when asked. Once he did that I spoke with a TSS who made the flagmen give me his name and pass. At the end of this, I was actually having fun since the flagmen looked like he was going to shit himself. Other then this incident, I have never had any problems and this was more fun for me then anything else.

i once had a fare inspector start asking me questions as to why i was taking a video of the ride ( i think she thought it was of her ) and then another time was a supervisor talking to me when i was taking photos of rush hour buses entering service.... other than that nothing aha its mostly odd looks or a huge wave and smile B)

Two occasions I was stopped by cops, but after talking to them and not being anal about 'my rights to take pics' they let me go my way with a warning [no need for ids or such].

Generally I try to take pics with as little amt of people in the way as possible. Generally I wouldn't take pics on a crowded train/platform.

Plus now I hardly go out taking as many pics as I used to. And with a P&S cam, I take it out and put it back in my pocket quickly and think nothing much of it.

Now if it was a DSLR cam, that would not be so easy to hide, unless I had a backback on me.

I usually just get dirty looks that's about it. On the last day of the (V) train I was taking a video on the (V) the T/O flipped me the bird (look at the video, and watch the last train)

Another time, while I was walking by Fresh Pond Depot, I stood on Fresh Pond Rd ACROSS THE STREET to take a shot of the building, the security guard came from across the street and told me that I can't take pictures. But since I didn't have the NYPD directive on me (I left it in another pair of pants and it got washed) I just let it go and walked away

Here's the video, look at the 3rd train to come in watch what the T/O does...

Two occasions I was stopped by cops, but after talking to them and not being anal about 'my rights to take pics' they let me go my way with a warning [no need for ids or such].

Generally I try to take pics with as little amt of people in the way as possible. Generally I wouldn't take pics on a crowded train/platform.

Plus now I hardly go out taking as many pics as I used to. And with a P&S cam, I take it out and put it back in my pocket quickly and think nothing much of it.

Now if it was a DSLR cam, that would not be so easy to hide, unless I had a backback on me.

If you ask me that's probably the worst thing you can do...hiding your camera. As long as you aren't doing anything wrong then what's to hide? If you have the paper with you then you have substantial backup. A towerwoman at 168th Street earlier this year asked me what I was doing recording videos of an R32 (A) and I told her plain and simple...I had an interest in trains and buses and I showed her the paper and she calmly backed off. Remember, the cops or TA personnel CANNOT tell you to delete the photo or video.

Ever since I got my SLR i've gotten nothing but good feedback. A few people on the train asked me if I could take pics of there birthday party, ofcourse I said no. I have even took a photo of this guy and his gf from California and I sent the picture to them. I thought that was pretty cool. It was about 3 different pics.

I have got a weird looks from T/Os but for the most part none of them say anything to me. I know alot of T/Os that work (5), this one lady that posts on the (5) always asks me how does she look. My cousin hates when I take his pic. I mostly take my pictures in the B Div. A Div T/Os are more ignorant if you ask me.

As for buses, B/Os seem to have to most negitive reactions towards people taking pics of buses. Ofcourse(NJT) they dont have a problem with me.

Archived