The Best And Worst Subway Transfers

EE Broadway Local

Two stations comes to mind are the worst imo

I find the Chambers-Nassau to the be the most confusing. There is the

(A)(C)(J)(M)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5) which I have to climb up & down to find my station. As a native NYer, I find it complex.

also as bad is the Port Authority 8th ave stop. The uptown & downtown (A)(C)(E) are not aligned. so one is all the way to the front, while other is all the way to the back. Only one part is the connection to the transfer.

If you want to transfer to the (1)(7)(2)(3)(S)(N)(Q)(R) from the (A)(C)(E), you have to walk in a long avenue tunnel. That long tunnel is sorta too hot in the summer. That is also a tad complex for some people. For example, some people don't know that the (7) is downstairs of the (1)(2)(3).

I found the IND-IRT connection at 74 St-Roosevelt/Jackson Heights between the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) [at the time, circa 2006], and the (7)<7> to be an easy one.

I agree with the previous poster--the connection between the (A)(C)(E) and the Times Square (N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7) at 42 St is a major PITA. When I first walked that tunnel, I was very confused!:confused:

59th St on the Lexington Avenue line.On the S/B (6) upper level platform it takes like 3-5 minutes to get to the LL for the uptown (4) & (5).You have to go down a few steps walk under an underpass upstairs to the upper level (6) to the Bronx then downstairs a lot of stairs b\c the escalator is going up.

Fourth Avenue/Ninth Street...not because of the stairs but because of the (F) train. Thank goodness the Jay Street connection will be done this week so I won't have to take the (F) train anymore...I can just go upstairs and take the (R).

What would your picks be for best and worst subway transfers and have you ever used the West 14th Street transfer between Sixth Avenue (F)(M) and Seventh Avenue (1)(2)(3)?

I used that transfer months ago to get to the (L), damn that was long...

I hate the 42 street one to the (A)(C)(E), eh takes too long to the Uptown platform! but I love the regular (N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7)<7> Complex.

-Bryant Park Station with the 5th Avenue connection.

-14th Street & 6th Avenue - by far the worst with the meandering and up and down.

-42nd street 8th Ave to 7th Ave. Better off just getting out and walking above ground.

When I was a C/R on the (3) I just told everyone to walk along 42nd to 8th ave for Port Authority. Knowledgeable NY'ers take the (1) to 59th for the IND if they are on the (2)(3) from TS, 96 or 42. Most times of the day you'll either pass or see a (1), TIS aside.

The first time I tried to transfer at Fulton, I got lost trying to find the downtown (J)(Mx)(Z) platform and then I gave up. A similar thing happened the second time I tried. And at Grand Central, I couldn't find the (S) from the (4)(5)(6) downtown platforms.

Best: 74th/Broadway, Broadway Junction, Sutphin Blvd, 161st in the Bronx, Stillwell Ave

Worst: Fulton St, all 42nd Street transfers (TSQ-PABT,6 AV-5 Av, GCT), 14th Street IND/IRT, and the Out of System transfers as they eat up my bus transfer (found that out when the q38 took off another 2.25 off my card :( )

I used to hate Lex/53rd cause it had that horrible undescribable stench, but they seem to have gotten rid of it so that's good

Best:

West 4 Street

(A)(:((C)(D)(E)(F)(M)

One flight of Stairs will take you either Inwood-207th St, Washington Heights-168th St, Norwood-205th St, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Forest Hills, Jamaica-179th St or Metropolitan Avenue and almost anywhere in between.

Worst:

42st Port Authority

1/4 mile passage of doom, simple as that.

My favorites:

West 4th St (A) (:((C)(D)(E)(F)(M)

Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(Q)

The ones I despise:

149th St-Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5) (mostly because of the rain and crowds as well as tough connections causing people to run for the train)

168th St-Washington Heights (1)(A)(C) (for the elevator only xfer)

Jackson Heights/74th St-Roosevelt Av (7)(E)(F)(M)(R) (too many crowds, especially on the elevator, the escalators are pretty much down for repairs)

42nd-TS is not that bad if you are going from the (7) to the 7th Av lines, but it would be nice if they had a direct connection to the Broadway lines. Track 3 of the (S) sucks. I hope they get around to rennovating the platforms and eliminate that curve and allow 5-car trains to be used.

Agreed about 14th St b/w the 7th and 6th av lines and 42nd b/w the 8th and 7th Av lines.

Favs:

Queensboro Plaza (N)(Q)(7) - quick same platform transfer ftw

Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(G) - quick same platform transfer ftw X2

W 4 St (A) (:((C)(D)(E)(F)(M) - quick bi-level transfer ftw

Sutphin Blvd / Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) - quick bi-level transfer ftw X2

59 St - Columbus Circle (A) (:((C)(D)(1) - a lovely transfer point for the west side.

Delancy - Essex Sts (F)(J)(M)(Z) - quick stuffs

Not Favs:

14 St - 6 Ave (1)(2)(3)(F)(M)(L) - Stupid long transfer is stupid.

42 St - 5 Ave (:((D)(F)(M)(7) - Stupid other long transfer is stupid.

Times Sq between (S) and (A) train. Let's just *walk* to Grand Central. We'll get there in faster time with LESS walking.

Lex Ave/53 St (E)(M)(6) - Over the river and through the woods...

Fulton St (A)(C)(J)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5) - By far the stupidest station in the system. "Hey, lets just throw a bunch of free transfers together because the platforms are close together."

Chambers St (A)(C)(2)(3)(E) - The World Trade Center station is very convoluted.

Archived