Passenger attacks B/O for driving slow

Via Garibaldi 8

I heard about this on NY1 this morning as I was getting ready for work. Apparently a passenger (female) became frustrated that the B/O was driving too slow and began to beat up the driver. She was asked later if she was apologetic and she said no because the B/O was driving slowly on purpose. Thoughts on this?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen this. The female is obviously a crack user and it finally caught up to her, and she couldnt get to her dope fast enough and took it out on the driver. Attacking a B/O is a felony....so fail on her.

Fed-up rider 'attacks' bus driver

The agony of rotting away on a city bus as it moved at a snail's pace sent one Brooklyn rider over the edge.

Alicea Diaz, 25, who was sick of being late for work because of the pokey B82 Limited, allegedly attacked driver Jacqueline Benjamin, 60, whom she blamed for the mind-numbing rides.

"She drives slow on purpose," Diaz told The Post yesterday.

The waitress "repeatedly punched" Benjamin in the face "with a closed fist" and broke her glasses on Tuesday afternoon in Bensonhurst, according to the criminal complaint.

Benjamin, a 17-year MTA veteran, said Diaz unleashed a hail of blows after screaming, "I'm tired of you, bitch. You're always making me late for work."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/driven_to_bus_rage_a60RzWK2FU17XQR6smJPLO#ixzz17dU0jOLU

It happens more then you think. This is what B/Os have to deal with these crazy passengers. Todays world people are so quick to get angry.

When passengers complain about B/Os driving too slow they will tell them that they'll drive even slower, so clearly they sometimes do it for spite. I'm not saying that gives passengers the right to attack B/Os, but if you play with fire enough you're likely to get burned. Now I do know that some B/Os will start their runs a bit later to avoid arriving early thus allowing them to keep a decent pace speed wise, but some of them will just drive slow the entire time.

I've had this experience numerous times. It pisses me off. Believe me, I wanted to b*tch slap the B/O. However, there's a difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it.

But B/Os also should always try to defuse those types of situations. Telling passengers that they'll drive slower only enrages the passengers, which obviously is not to their benefit.

At the same time, there's certain variables you have to consider.

Scheduling -If the B/O is making it to their timepoints (their run sheets), I believe they have every right to drive the way they want to. They're keeping a schedule and not causing a hazard in the streets. What you may or may not be aware of is the fact that there are supervisors out in the streets making sure drivers are keeping up with their schedule. After the recent discussions of drivers keeping their schedules, you should know how important this one is.

Bus Conditions -Sometimes a bus may not be 100% at the time. Sometimes precautions have to be adhered to until the bus can be exchanged. The problems are sometimes noticeable, others are not.

B/O's Comfort Level - If a driver has a new bus type that they just trained on, they're not going to go flat out unless they are comfortable with it. You can't blame them when they're trying to keep control of the bus.

tl;dr version - The lady should have never attacked the B/O ... enjoy your 7 years lady!

That bus driver should've parked the bus, dragged her off and beat the living ____ out of her and then put the bus back in service and continued the run, at least they wouldn't have had to drive slow after taking that time out.

I have to admit that the staying on schedule thing grinds my gears, I can't stand that AT ALL but to hit somebody???

I noticed in the articale that the lady told the B/O "You're always making me late for work." If it was really so much of a problem, the lady could've waited for another B82 LTD, they come every 4 or so mins and some of them have some serious lead foots. Whyget the same driver every day?

I've had this experience numerous times. It pisses me off. Believe me, I wanted to b*tch slap the B/O. However, there's a difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it.

sadly enough, i have too. it took the Q44 almost an hour and 15 minutes to get from roosevelt to west farms square a few weeks ago... on the MIDNIGHTS no less. no reason for that whatsoever, not even an explanation to the passengers out of courtesy. i was 30 minutes late to work because of it, and i would have been even more late but a Bx9 B/O was nice enough to take me to van cortlandt light after he discharged the passengers at 225th. it is definitely frustrating...

sadly enough, i have too. it took the Q44 almost an hour and 15 minutes to get from roosevelt to west farms square a few weeks ago... on the MIDNIGHTS no less. no reason for that whatsoever, not even an explanation to the passengers out of courtesy. i was 30 minutes late to work because of it, and i would have been even more late but a Bx9 B/O was nice enough to take me to van cortlandt light after he discharged the passengers at 225th. it is definitely frustrating...

Still this lady should have made a complaint online or phone to the (MTA). Now she probably spending at least 5-7 years behind the slammer for assulting the driver which is a felony under state law.

PS. Garibaldi 8 thanks for creating this topic. Next time also try to please create/list link for the news story in future so someone like me can also read the article or watch the news clip. Thanks:tup:

Still this lady should have made a complaint online or phone to the (MTA). Now she probably spending at least 5-7 years behind the slammer for assulting the driver which is a felony under state law.

PS. Garibaldi 8 thanks for creating this topic. Next time also try to please create/list link for the news story in future so someone like me can also read the article or watch the news clip. Thanks:tup:

I heard about it on tv...

Scheduling -If the B/O is making it to their timepoints (their run sheets), I believe they have every right to drive the way they want to. They're keeping a schedule and not causing a hazard in the streets. What you may or may not be aware of is the fact that there are supervisors out in the streets making sure drivers are keeping up with their schedule. After the recent discussions of drivers keeping their schedules, you should know how important this one is.

Bus Conditions -Sometimes a bus may not be 100% at the time. Sometimes precautions have to be adhered to until the bus can be exchanged. The problems are sometimes noticeable, others are not.

B/O's Comfort Level - If a driver has a new bus type that they just trained on, they're not going to go flat out unless they are comfortable with it. You can't blame them when they're trying to keep control of the bus.

tl;dr version - The lady should have never attacked the B/O ... enjoy your 7 years lady!

I totally agree. All I am saying is that B/Os should always try to diffuse things. I witnessed a passenger being rude w/a driver the other night because she requested to be let out at the corner late at night where it was well lit and he apparently didn't hear her and instead let her out at the normal bus stop that was poorly lit. What did the driver do? He de-escalated the situation and apologized. Granted the passenger was still pissed off, however the situation could've become worse.

When passengers complain about B/Os driving too slow they will tell them that they'll drive even slower, so clearly they sometimes do it for spite. I'm not saying that gives passengers the right to attack B/Os, but if you play with fire enough you're likely to get burned. Now I do know that some B/Os will start their runs a bit later to avoid arriving early thus allowing them to keep a decent pace speed wise, but some of them will just drive slow the entire time.

Number one drivers have to keep a schedule and passengers are too dum to realize that. If you have a problem running late then leave earlier point blank.

If its to got damn slow, take the train... No train.. Get a car or walk your ass fast..

Ill admit i hate it when the buses is slow, but if its for a reasonable reason, such as schedule or maintenance issues, then the bus has to be slow.. But don't go out punching a B/O over a slow bus, smh.. Your in trouble and now paying MORE then $2.25 for the damages with possibility of JAIL which is worst!

That bus driver should've parked the bus, dragged her off and beat the living ____ out of her and then put the bus back in service and continued the run, at least they wouldn't have had to drive slow after taking that time out.

Nah, you can't touch them on the bus....they have to drag you off the bus and THEN you can start whopping ass. It happened this way to a CTTransit B/O in Hartford and the company could'nt say two words to her because the passenger pulled her off the bus.

True but there's some drivers that would be slow on driving the bus & that agitates me for one reason I cannot say & secondly one I will say is because it takes up more time (Especially when it's not on your side). However they're just being cautious I guess. Then again I wouldn't get mad like that woman on crack did. I would just tell myself that it's not the driver's fault that he/she's slow.

Now I like drivers that are a bit fast, but there's a flip side here: I don't think I'd like to be on a bus where the driver is agressive [honking excessively as well as speeding]. Had this driver on a Q35 and this person would've probably sped up on Flatbush Av if there was no traffic in front. I was glad I was sitting down or I would've fallen if not holding on the pole tightly.

As for this news: woman is a crackhead, nothing more needs to be said.

Do you remember when there was building collasped near (6) stations in long year ago around 116th St when they had SOS Shuttle Bus.

I boarded shuttle bus at 3rd Av/86th St and there was lady who was in hurry and "can you please hurry, I'm going to miss my apointment." as she cried.

At that moment because of collasped, there was heavy delay. She even said to B/O, "Drive over them."

Archived