Passenger attacks B/O for driving slow

Via Garibaldi 8

This reminds me of the time when I saw an S59 and the bus was nowhere near capacity and he just flew by me-no honking, no nothing. I ran up to him and caught him at the next light. After I go on, he asks me "What's the problem?", and I said "You saw me standing there and just passed me!".

He said, "Welcome to the real world". Look whose talking. in the real world, passengers can catch up to a bus even after you pass them, and in the real world, buses get much more crowded than that. (And, as you can see, in the real world, passengers can beat the driver)

In any case, if she is always late because she is taking that bus, why doesn't she leave 10 minutes earlier?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This reminds me of the time when I saw an S59 and the bus was nowhere near capacity and he just flew by me-no honking, no nothing. I ran up to him and caught him at the next light. After I go on, he asks me "What's the problem?", and I said "You saw me standing there and just passed me!".

He said, "Welcome to the real world". Look whose talking. in the real world, passengers can catch up to a bus even after you pass them, and in the real world, buses get much more crowded than that. (And, as you can see, in the real world, passengers can beat the driver)

In any case, if she is always late because she is taking that bus, why doesn't she leave 10 minutes earlier?

You see, it's these types of holier-than-thou attitudes that lead to situations escalating. So the B/O drove by you and then said "Welcome to the real world"?? LOL

At the same time, there's certain variables you have to consider.

Scheduling -If the B/O is making it to their timepoints (their run sheets), I believe they have every right to drive the way they want to. They're keeping a schedule and not causing a hazard in the streets. What you may or may not be aware of is the fact that there are supervisors out in the streets making sure drivers are keeping up with their schedule. After the recent discussions of drivers keeping their schedules, you should know how important this one is.

Bus Conditions -Sometimes a bus may not be 100% at the time. Sometimes precautions have to be adhered to until the bus can be exchanged. The problems are sometimes noticeable, others are not.

B/O's Comfort Level - If a driver has a new bus type that they just trained on, they're not going to go flat out unless they are comfortable with it. You can't blame them when they're trying to keep control of the bus.

tl;dr version - The lady should have never attacked the B/O ... enjoy your 7 years lady!

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. There is a dispatcher at Bay 38th all the time and some spread out elsewhere on the line sometimes. Your better off keeping the schedule. And I've been a daily rider of the B82 for years and I think I know who the driver is. Real nice lady and definatly not a line dragger. I'll try and confirm who it was tommorow. But if it was her theres alot of draggers on the B82 but this lady isn't one of them.

Geez, I don't know what her prob is. She also does not realize that the whole point of PUBLIC transportation is to take people from point A to point B, no matter how slow it is. If it bothers her, she should leave earlier, move someplace else, or drive. Also, beating up the b/o, makes her late for work.

She loses and has to deal with 7 years.

I've had this experience numerous times. It pisses me off. Believe me, I wanted to b*tch slap the B/O. However, there's a difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it.

1 Id like to see you try

2 ITS MY JOB NOT YOURS IF SOMETHING HAPPENS

3 DONT TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB AND I WONT COME DOWN TO THE CORNER AND SLAP THE D..K OUT OF YOURS WHILE YOUR WORKING!

4 Buy a car or find a way to get to work that suits you or leave earlier!

Considering the perp is most likely a crackhead (or at least looks a lot like one in the making), we should just get the gallows ready. She's not much in the way of productivity anyway.

She claims the bus made her late for work? wtf? it's more like the bus made her late for her methadone clinic appointment.

1 Id like to see you try

2 ITS MY JOB NOT YOURS IF SOMETHING HAPPENS

3 DONT TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB AND I WONT COME DOWN TO THE CORNER AND SLAP THE D..K OUT OF YOURS WHILE YOUR WORKING!

4 Buy a car or find a way to get to work that suits you or leave earlier!

Time is money. People have to go to work or school. They don't have time for these stupid games B/O's play. I believe that buses should operate as fast as possible while adhering to traffic rules.

Time is money. People have to go to work or school. They don't have time for these stupid games B/O's play. I believe that buses should operate as fast as possible while adhering to traffic rules.

And while B/Os keep arguing that people should leave earlier or do this or do that, the fact of the matter is New Yorkers MUST use public transportation to get around because if we all drove we'd never get anywhere. Aside from that passengers are paying for a service in which they should also expect some sort of reliability and expect to get to their destination in a reasonable amount of time. We're not just paying to have a bus show up whenever it feels like it.

I see no need for example to give myself 2 - 3 hours to get to Midtown from Staten Island. I think 1 hour and 40 minutes is sufficient each way, since the ride with no traffic can be an hour to an hour and 10 minutes tops. That leaves me half an hour for traffic to allow me to use other alternatives to still get in on time. Now of course there may be a few times where freak things may happen where it has taken me 2 hours to get to work, but this happens maybe once or twice a year, which I can live with.

Bus Drivers should drive at 'normal posted speeds' not too fast or slow period. With that said, if the bus is ahead of schedule and driver drives slower than normal he/she should make an announcement as well.

With that said, this 'nut' should never put her hands on the driver. Hope she spends some quality in the slammer.

Bus Drivers should drive at 'normal posted speeds' not too fast or slow period. With that said, if the bus is ahead of schedule and driver drives slower than normal he/she should make an announcement as well.

With that said, this 'nut' should never put her hands on the driver. Hope she spends some quality in the slammer.

Hire more dispatchers and put them at certain locations unannounced. I RARELY see any dispatchers officially posted out of Castleton Depot anywhere unless there's some sort of complaint made. You could post one right there at the Verrazano for most of the buses, and have one near South Avenue to clock in the X30s, X12s/42s coming by. You can't really fault the B/Os for coming early if they're being told to do so or have the flexibility to do so. There have been instances where the last bus for the morning on the X30 will have arrived early and passengers will call the depot directly to see what the story is and they are given a story.

They actually do announce it. The B/O parks their bus somewhere where space is available if they're ahead of time.

From my understanding B/Os are also supposed to announce all stops. Very few do it and even fewer announce the detours, which are more important. Then there are the ones that announce every stop and turn the volume up as high as it goes so they're right in your ear waking you up on the express bus. LOL

They actually do announce it. The B/O parks their bus somewhere where space is available if they're ahead of time.

Via Garibaldi is correct. They are suppose to do that (reason for a bus being held?)or at least announce at least major stops or transfer points. As I live upstate now, I don't ride the NYC buses all the time now. However while many do make announce, there are still some drivers still don't make any announcement at all from times I ridden.

I've never heard a B/O announce it before.

I have no problem with a bus that's ahead of schedule as long as I'm on my way home, but if I'm trying to get somewhere who the hell would want to sit at a bus stop for 5-10 minutes? The MTA should change that "follow the schedule" crap for frequent routes, I hate to see buses on the same route pass us while we're at a stand still. Makes me wish I waited and got on the other bus but how would I know it was coming in the first place lol.

It's not the B/O's fault, they're just following the rules but don't get at the passengers either because they end up being late behind this crap.

Announcements: Ok, announcemetns, we dont have to make for all stops, but for the major hubs and major stops. Most people that ride the bus ride it all the stop, so whats the need to. I dont make announcements except for the major stops.

Passengers: Its really sad how passengers really get mad over stupid shyt. Like forreal. Some people think its easy driving a 40, 45ft bus full of people. The 1st time I did it alone I was nervous as hell and I didnt even go above 55mph on the Garden State Parkway. Every turn I was like im not going to make it its too short or not enough space to turn. No one bus is the same, although they may look the same on the outside doesnt mean they drive the same. Between D4500CL 7177-87; they all drive different. People just dont understand. Its easy to think B/Os do it on purpose, but what fails to be understood is that, its a job and we have rules to follow. If supervision catches you speeding thats our ass. If were late, thats our ass, if were too early, thats our ass, if were are not consistant with amount off passengers, they think were leaving em behind....get the point? No matter what B/Os do, we will always get in trouble for some bs.

The guys who are are complaining here, need to take it and shove it. Stop crying and get ya lazy asses up earlier to do what you got to do, whats so hard about that? If you dont like public transpo. then get a car or take a cab. No one is forcing you to take the bus. Me in NJT, i have to count money and give change in 10 seconds time and have to figure out how much change to give back if there is a line of ppl waiting to get on.

I've never heard a B/O announce it before.

I have no problem with a bus that's ahead of schedule as long as I'm on my way home, but if I'm trying to get somewhere who the hell would want to sit at a bus stop for 5-10 minutes? The MTA should change that follow the schedule crap for frequent routes, I hate to see buses on the same route pass us while we're at a stand still.

It's not the B/O's fault, they're just following the rules but don't get at the passengers either because they end up being late behind this crap.

Nothing will change until the MTA changes their procedures for headways AND they get more dispatchers out to note what times drivers are arriving. The way I see it, drivers should either be on time or late, but NEVER early.

Here's the perfect example of a stupid headway on the X10... Drivers are given three minutes to get from 46th and 5th to 41st and 5th... They usually come early at 46th and 5th, then even earlier at 41st and 5th, so all in the all it's very easy to see how they could arrive 10 minutes early. However, it still inexcusable because as I'm riding, I see far too many people running to try to catch that early bus, so he's riding at a far lower capacity than he should and the next guy behind him gets jammed up.

Announcements: Ok, announcemetns, we dont have to make for all stops, but for the major hubs and major stops. Most people that ride the bus ride it all the stop, so whats the need to. I dont make announcements except for the major stops.

Passengers: Its really sad how passengers really get mad over stupid shyt. Like forreal. Some people think its easy driving a 40, 45ft bus full of people. The 1st time I did it alone I was nervous as hell and I didnt even go above 55mph on the Garden State Parkway. Every turn I was like im not going to make it its too short or not enough space to turn. No one bus is the same, although they may look the same on the outside doesnt mean they drive the same. Between D4500CL 7177-87; they all drive different. People just dont understand. Its easy to think B/Os do it on purpose, but what fails to be understood is that, its a job and we have rules to follow. If supervision catches you speeding thats our ass. If were late, thats our ass, if were too early, thats our ass, if were are not consistant with amount off passengers, they think were leaving em behind....get the point? No matter what B/Os do, we will always get in trouble for some bs.

The guys who are are complaining here, need to take it and shove it. Stop crying and get ya lazy asses up earlier to do what you got to do, whats so hard about that? If you dont like public transpo. then get a car or take a cab. No one is forcing you to take the bus. Me in NJT, i have to count money and give change in 10 seconds time and have to figure out how much change to give back if there is a line of ppl waiting to get on.

My thoughts exactly, thank you!!! I've never seen so much upheaval over giving yourself 10-15 minutes of ample time over catching a bus! It's extremely juvenile. This is public transportation and their job is to get you from point A to B in an effective and timely matter so what's the big deal? People take things for granted these days...smh.

NJT is different than the MTA, if I'm riding the 319 I'm not gonna get upset that we didn't arrive in Wildwood in 3 hours, I've been on that bus for nearly 4 hours and as short as 2.5 hours. That ride varies a lot.

As for me personally I'm not upset at the B/O's since they're doing their job, I'm mad at the idiotic policy of following the schedule by any means necessary. How is getting mad at being late stupid shyt? 90% of the time I can only leave so early, yesterday I got to leave early, I left at 1:30 and got there at damn there 4:00 traveling from Southeast Queens to Northeast Queens, I stood there in the damn cold for 40 minutes for a bus that's supposed to come every 10 minutes, I was getting frostbite.

I'm not lazy I have other responsibilities and I can't just up and leave early, I can't afford a cab everyday and I don't have my drivers license yet, do you really think if I could drive I'd be on mad buses a day? (Who would lol) I could give a rat's ass about a MTA or a bus. However I don't have the right to disagree with a policy/practice? I'm just supposed to not say nothing and just except shyt?

Like I said before I have no problems with B/O's, y'all do y'all job and life goes on, why are people getting upset for? I'm not getting at nobody. My problem is with the MTA's inefficiency.

My thoughts exactly, thank you!!! I've never seen so much upheaval over giving yourself 10-15 minutes of ample time over catching a bus! It's extremely juvenile. This is public transportation and their job is to get you from point A to B in an effective and timely matter so what's the big deal? People take things for granted these days...smh.

I actually would agree with you if it was that simple.

But it is what it is, idga crap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not putting that much energy into a bus, it's not that serious.

At one point, I was seriously considering it...

but see... BS like this is what deterred me from being a bus driver....

Now I see why Flushing Flash comes off the way he does on these forums....

If I were to get hired by some public transportation company, it couldn't be (to serve) no major city... No one could pay me enough to increase my level of patience & tolerance for the outright clueless & inconsiderate that's the...

General Public.

I mean, the petty ish' that people complain about... I can't stand complainers & "victims" (in quotes, on purpose) anyway, but good lord... you'd think people would have a wee bit of common sense... ppl. get mad @ b/o's for arriving too early, and arriving too late... I've even hear people @ times that get flustered w/ the b/o for arriving on time; like they expect a bus to be early or late... talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't....

What gets me is, the people that constantly, especially, complain about public transportation... more often than not, never sat behind the proverbial (and literal) wheel to operate any kind of vehicle in their life...

silly games b/o's play.... time is money...

Go drive to where the hell you have to go @ your own leisure & pace...

No car? go bike... for all I care, go scoot, or even crawl your impatient a** to where you gots to go...

....Where you'd only have YOURSELF to point the finger at.

Especially the one in the middle.

My god, it aint called PUBLIC transportation for a reason....

This is why I'm glad I helped run off one chronic complainer off this forum....

At one point, I was seriously considering it...

but see... BS like this is what deterred me from being a bus driver....

Now I see why Flushing Flash comes off the way he does on these forums....

If I were to get hired by some public transportation company, it couldn't be (to serve) no major city... No one could pay me enough to increase my level of patience & tolerance for the outright clueless & inconsiderate that's the...

General Public.

I mean, the petty ish' that people complain about... I can't stand complainers & "victims" (in quotes, on purpose) anyway, but my god... you'd think people would have a wee bit of common sense... ppl. get mad @ b/o's for arriving too early, and arriving too late... I've even heard people that get flustered w/ the b/o for arriving on time; like they expect a bus to be early or late... damned if you do, damned if you don't....

What gets me is, the people that complain about public transportation, more often than not, never sat behind the proverbial (and literal) wheel to operate any kind of vehicle in their life....

silly games b/o's play.... time is money...

Go drive to where the hell you have to go @ your own leisure & pace...

No car? go bike, for all I care, go scoot, or crawl your impatient a** to some worksite - at the discretion of yourself...

where you'd only have YOURSELF to point the finger at.

Especially the one in the middle.

My god, it aint called PUBLIC transportation for a reason....

I agree with this. :tup:

But I'm not too fond of the idea that no one can have an opinion about Public Transportation, I've seen it more than a few times in some threads. I've noticed if someone has a problem or says something negative there's usually a couple people waiting to pounce and just go all out to try and refute what you said. Like if I disagree I disagree, it's not like my opinion means shyt anyways. I'm not calling up the MTA trying to get people fired because I don't give anything close to that much of a crap, who would do that anyways?

Archived