Cagelike subway turnstiles can bambooze less experienced straphangers into paying fare twice

Harry

Logic would say the door unlocks for a revolution, but what most don't know is you need to push against the side sticking out blocking your path vs try to start it moving as in a regular revolving door arrangement. It only moves for a quarter revolution at a time per swipe.

- A

A friend of mine visiting from out of town lost his fare in one of these entrances. I was not watching him and as he slid the card he reached to his left and pushed the turnstile forward but so that he was not in the first compartment but in the next and thus lost his fare as the turnstile stopped before he was through. I first thought it was stupid on his part but then realized the configuration is a bit odd. The bar one pushes should be closer to where one swipes. I at times have swiped and walked forward only to find the turnstile did not move. One has to step back to read the "Swipe Again" or Insufficient Fare" message. Once I somehow lost my fare with an unlimited card. I was so annoyed I walked to the next station to enter rather than buy a single entry. These things could be designed better.

Then why doesn't the (MTA) just make these revolving doors out of thick LEXAN glass like the one you would find on the R160's. You can't jam them, or break them, or even vandalize them. It's the perfect replacement to the steel bars. I also suggest that they put transit police by those revolving doors to protect people.

Then it would be impossible to make sure the turnstile can only be entered and exited in one direction. Those stationary metal bars on the HEET are there so you can't go in the wrong way.

Logic would say the door unlocks for a revolution, but what most don't know is you need to push against the side sticking out blocking your path vs try to start it moving as in a regular revolving door arrangement. It only moves for a quarter revolution at a time per swipe.

- A

Could you explain that again. I'm not sure I'm understanding you.

What I do is I push it all the way forward before swiping my MetroCard and (as far as I recall) it never jammed on me.

By the way, what does that poster say? Does it say you have to swipe and then wait before swiping again?

They can design it so it can revolve in only one direction.

How would that work out?

The entrance collects the fare, there needs to be a mechanism for this, the mechanism would block the exit path, since both exit and entrance rotate in same direction.

However smartcards (RFIDs) could work for revolving doors that only revolve one way, some office buildings use revolving doors that scan RFIDs to grant access to the facility.

Not worried about germs, i have hand washing stuff, but are you kidding me i'm on trains (and busses) all day some days, there is a tactile residue on some of the grab bars, it's disgusting! I don't want to have to use it to enter/exit a station is my point.

About the entering the device it before you start turning it, yea, that's what you have to do. The arms should form a (V) that you walk into but its all ready rotated too far from the reader how they have it now. Yes it's 1/3 turn sorry i avoid these ones and have not used them in a while.

My pants i treat a no man's land when im out on trains, so the regular low turnstiles are no biggie, they hit just above my knee usually.

The one huge bone i have to pick with the "HEET" is you can't bring stuff through with you easily. I often see people paying 2 fares to get luggage or shopping bags through. Too small!!!

- A

About the entering the device it before you start turning it, yea, that's what you have to do. The arms should form a (V) that you walk into but its all ready rotated too far from the reader how they have it now. Yes it's 1/3 turn sorry i avoid these ones and have not used them in a while.

- A

If they moved the arm back by about 20 degrees, where only 1 arm is in reach and the 2 other bars are behind the card reader, it would be much easier, as the problem with HEET's is that people push on the wrong bar. I actually have to use these almost everyday unless I want to do go down the block to the low turnstiles.

HEETs are not annoying when exiting, but entering it, me and my mom back then always had a problem on getting in... its like the turnstile, some people are going to worry that it would lock on them after they slide their card and noticed that the HEET is not moving.

Instructions...pfft...no one will even read them till they noticed they were locked out and lost $2.25.

Confused? I know...

why do they need those iron maiden type turnstiles anyway? Theyre confusing to operate and are a problem for claustrophobic people, just use the regular style one.

Too bad you was not around when the old token version was in service.

Those were Iron Maidens and a pain too when ur token got stuck.

S/F,

CEYA!

Ive had this happen. I swipe, it says swipe again and then it says insufficient fare. Thats when I say screw this and reach my arm around and press the emergency exit bar to open the gate...Or if someone goes ahead of me and i go right after it takes the fare off but is still locked. Makes me wanna choke the head of the MTA for not having them fix this glitch in the system. Even my mom when using the regular turnstyles, she swiped after jsut buying a card from the machine and then it says swipe again and takes the fare off anyway without letting her through nad of course the miserable c@#t SOB station agent at her local station gave her greif and yelled at her..

Too funny... :mad:

Then what about the turnstiles? You have to push past them with I assume either your legs or hands. I use my hands to push the HEET.

I'd carry a hand sanitizer if you are that worried about germs.

Whenever I do use the subway, I use the normal turnstiles and avoid the HEETs, but I make sure to use my hands with them as I don't want them touching my clothes. When I arrive in the office, I will then immediately go and wash my hands. I don't care what the MTA says... Those subways are FILTHY and I never sit on the train. I'd rather stand.

Too bad you was not around when the old token version was in service.

Those were Iron Madiens and a pain too when ur token got stuck.

S/F,

CEYA!

yup, those things were MUCH harder to push than the HEET's we have now...

IINM, there's one of em still propped up @ the 7th av & the 15th st stations on the (F)(G).

At World Trade Center Complex, I spotted German tourists using Unlimited MetroCard and when I passed by HEET, I spotted it read JUST USED.

I even thought Indians trying to figure out why they can't get in.

Another time at 34th St-Penn Station on 8th Av HEET at 35th St entrance, same problem when (E) was on (F) and people using wrong side.

Whenever I do use the subway, I use the normal turnstiles and avoid the HEETs, but I make sure to use my hands with them as I don't want them touching my clothes. When I arrive in the office, I will then immediately go and wash my hands. I don't care what the MTA says... Those subways are FILTHY and I never sit on the train. I'd rather stand.

Stand and let the other people dirty your clothes anyway? Nah, I'll take my chances and take a seat. If it's a long ride, I'm not gonna get all worked up over germs to stand the whole way. The rest of the day will be stressful enough. No need to add on to it.

I usually have a backpack and lean on that so that reduces the 'filth'.

Archived