R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R160s were built and delivered quickly, but that doesn't necessarily ensure that the quality will be top notch. The R142s & R142As exemplifies that in my opinion. The ride quality of the R142As is atrocious. The R188s are starting to see the same problems. The R142s overall quality is far more superior than their Kawasaki counterparts, better ride quality, better HVAC and so on.

The R160s are also starting to see the same ride quality problems as the R142As, with the bucking and such. I think it's safe to say that the R142s are probably the best NTTs we have right now.

(this is just my opinion)

Oh you're points here are completely valid my friend. But given the turmoil that the 179 has gone thru since being built, rejected, built again, etc. All of that, plus all that is happening now, Is not making Bombardier look good. If they turn out to be great cars, then good for us, but how late are these?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you're points here are completely valid my friend. But given the turmoil that the 179 has gone thru since being built, rejected, built again, etc. All of that, plus all that is happening now, Is not making Bombardier look good. If they turn out to be great cars, then good for us, but how late are these?

Compared to the Alstom R160s, years late.

If I recall, Alstom had problems building the first 10-car set. I remember them having welding defects and other production problems at the start. I think they were only late by....4 months? Somewhere around that ballpark I think. The TA also rejected some of their cars because of build problems and such.

But, compared to Bombardier, Alstom's situation was a cakewalk.

There's a last minute second service advisory for the (B) line that says "Brighton Beach bound trains run local from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy due to equipment testing." starting tonight thru Thursday night.

Well... if you guys need night time pics of the R179, there you have it.

Yeah.... The part I was asked not to speak on. I guess a part of that cat is out the bag now! LMAO! You guys never cease to amaze me at times.

@Cait. I agree 100%, but lets just let this play out. I have no doubt the 179's will be reliable cars one day! lol

@VG8, no they are not cancelling the order. This emergency Brighton testing is supposed to speed things up so EIS is till on the new schedule, but as I said I don't see it happening. I could be wrong though....

There's a last minute second service advisory for the (B) line that says "Brighton Beach bound trains run local from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy due to equipment testing." starting tonight thru Thursday night.

Well... if you guys need night time pics of the R179, there you have it.

Is the daytime one still in effect?

Yeah.... The part I was asked not to speak on. I guess a part of that cat is out the bag now! LMAO! You guys never cease to amaze me at times.

LOL they literally just started displaying that GO on the On the Go kiosks within the last hour...

Is the daytime one still in effect?

LOL they literally just started displaying that GO on the On the Go kiosks within the last hour...

Yup. It wasn't long between ENY's initial post about day 2, and someone posting pics of the service notice online. Tonight and tomorrow. Thursday also I believe.

This is funny! I was told the MTA wasn't going to publicly say why the B was actually going local, and was asked not to talk about it. I swear they be testing me just to see if I will talk! Lol! NOPE! That's why I still get all the exclusives!

I said they won't make it to service in time but Bombardier is determined to prove me wrong after my post! We shall see!

Just to save it for the record, I saved it on the webarchive. 

http://www.mta.info/status/subway/BDFM/24997020

Planned Work 

b.png Brighton Beach-bound trains run local from Prospect Park to Kings Hwy

Evenings, 8 PM to 10:30 PM, Tue to Thu, Jul 11 - 13 

• Please allow additional travel time.

Note: b.png service ends early.

Which part of the cat came out? The ears, a leg, the tail?

Thanks again for the update. It must be hard not to let the whole cat out of the bag. Cats can scratch!

Day 2 of testing on the Brighton did not go as well as expected. I have been asked not to speak on the specific issues, however, Bombardier will NOT get the R211 contract. That is unofficial and only my opinion, but you all can take my quote to the bank. It's a done deal for them. This is absolutely insane that this train is not in service yet. MTA may be the hardest TA to work with on the planet but there is a good reason for that. At this point MTA is extremely disappointed in the EIS of the R179, and they have right to be. I created an R179 thread in 2009, then a brand new thread in 2011. It is now 2017 and I really don't see this train entering revenue service testing in August on the (A). I have pics of day 2 as well. I have not uploaded yet, but they are viewable on Facebook in the Transit Photos & Videos. I will upload to either YouTube or Photobucket this evening for the people who don't have Facebook or don't have access as both of these comm uh cities are private if I recall correctly.

What's the Youtube channel?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

What is EIS testing?

I believe he's referring to the Environmental Impact Study.  If so, that's a bit of a process that takes a while to complete.  They also had one for the Ferry Service.  It looks at the feasibility of using (in this case) trains and their environmental impact, among other things.  The study can be carried out by an independent consultant/contractor, who will then release a EIS statement to conclude with their findings.  I've worked with such companies and they can vary considerably from a few pages to hundreds of pages.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Actually I'm pretty sure it's entry into service -- they run the cars around and see how they hold up under real operational conditions.

You're probably right.  lol I have no idea what they do with the trains in terms of testing.  I was wondering myself what EIS referred to in the context it was being used in and in my world, we use that a lot.  Thanks for clarifying, but I would think they must test the buses and trains for such things I mentioned above as well.  Only makes sense.

You're probably right.  lol I have no idea what they do with the trains in terms of testing.  I was wondering myself what EIS referred to in the context it was being used in and in my world, we use that a lot.  Thanks for clarifying, but I would think they must test the buses and trains for such things I mentioned above as well.  Only makes sense.

Well first, there's a mileage requirement that says that before the 30-day revenue test, the train has to perform a certain distance (500 miles IIMN) without any problems.  As for the test runs that are done, some of them include but are not limited to:

• Clearance testing (the train runs through every line in the division it's built for, making sure it clears the tunnels and platforms)

• Simulated stop testing (this trains the employees and ensures the FIND and tachometer are working properly)

• EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) testing (the strength of the magnetic field generated by all the computers on the train can't exceed a certain amount)

• Emergency brake testing (self-explanatory, not sure if there's footage for the R179s but there is for the R188s)

If I missed any or if I'm wrong on the ones I mentioned, please feel free to correct me.

Well first, there's a mileage requirement that says that before the 30-day revenue test, the train has to perform a certain distance (500 miles IIMN) without any problems.  As for the test runs that are done, some of them include but are not limited to:

• Clearance testing (the train runs through every line in the division it's built for, making sure it clears the tunnels and platforms)

• Simulated stop testing (this trains the employees and ensures the FIND and tachometer are working properly)

• EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) testing (the strength of the magnetic field generated by all the computers on the train can't exceed a certain amount)

• Emergency brake testing (self-explanatory, not sure if there's footage for the R179s but there is for the R188s)

If I missed any or if I'm wrong on the ones I mentioned, please feel free to correct me.

I'm under the impression EMI has more to do with the AC propulsion system than the on-board computers, but hey, what do I know? lol

So far, all of the e-brake testing has occurred on F5 track in the Broad Channel flats, so there wouldn't be any up-close footage of that happening. Maybe later, when the production cars come in and they do some testing elsewhere, say perhaps on the El between B-Junction and Myrtle.

Edited by Fan Railer

I'm under the impression EMI has more to do with the AC propulsion system than the on-board computers, but hey, what do I know? lol

So far, all of the e-brake testing has occurred on F5 track in the Broad Channel flats, so there wouldn't be any up-close footage of that happening. Maybe later, when the production cars come in and they do some testing elsewhere, say perhaps on the El between B-Junction and Myrtle.

Yeah, I meant the propulsion system in particular.  To be honest I consider all the components to be computers because essentially they are.

That location would explain why we haven't seen any e-brake testing.  Speaking of which, since the 10-car train is still on Brighton, I'm guessing they're using that track in the Rockaways to test the 8-car train?

Yeah, I meant the propulsion system in particular. To be honest I consider all the components to be computers because essentially they are.

That location would explain why we haven't seen any e-brake testing. Speaking of which, since the 10-car train is still on Brighton, I'm guessing they're using that track in the Rockaways to test the 8-car train?

Which 8-car train? There's two of them. Lol

Which 8-car train? There's two of them. Lol

Good point.  3050-3057 did simulated stop testing last week.  Speaking of which, where are 3058-3065 ATM?  I know they were moved but have they been in the field for testing since then?

Good point. 3050-3057 did simulated stop testing last week. Speaking of which, where are 3058-3065 ATM? I know they were moved but have they been in the field for testing since then?

I think 3058-3065 is sitting at 207th St. Yard

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk