R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is good. Do you have any clue whether it is the beginning or end of August. I hope that it will be the latter so that I can be on the first trip, if possible.

At this time I don't, as my specialty is Dept. of Buses. I don't keep up with the minor RTO details. However I can contact RTO or DCE and see what I can find out.

• 2 weeks later...

In light of Joe Lhota's new initative with Lengthening the C train will they expand the 10 car part of this order or give punt it to the r211's or existing trains?

I can see the last 180-200 cars R179's being change into 5 car sets right before they get built, that could leave 80 cars in 4 car units.

I can see the last 180-200 cars R179's being change into 5 car sets right before they get built, that could leave 80 cars in 4 car units.

Can they even do that? The order has already been signed off on and it’s probably too late to change it. They haven’t made the cars yet but I doubt they can change it now.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Does the contract have "option orders"?

if it does add to the 5 car sets and then some

well that wasn't smart of them.

It might just be the smarter option because bombardier takes so damn long. Do you want the last of the R179’s coming in when all the R211’s are up and running? It’s an exaggeration but seeing how far the delays pushed it back and their rushing testing, perhaps we missed a bullet.

The R179 order was changed so many times; the earlier iterations DID have option orders, and did call for a different balance of 4-car and 5-car sets. You can thank whichever smart person decided that it would be better to delete all the option orders from the contract lol.

It might just be the smarter option because bombardier takes so damn long. Do you want the last of the R179’s coming in when all the R211’s are up and running? It’s an exaggeration but seeing how far the delays pushed it back and their rushing testing, perhaps we missed a bullet.

In that Case , i think i would put more options on the R211 plus what you are saying about BBD supposedly Siemens wants to buy them and the Chinese are collaborating with them who are totally unproven in north america plus Toronto's orders are way behind and they are close or have lost the new LRV contract from Toronto 

In that Case , i think i would put more options on the R211 plus what you are saying about BBD supposedly Siemens wants to buy them and the Chinese are collaborating with them who are totally unproven in north america plus Toronto's orders are way behind and they are close or have lost the new LRV contract from Toronto

I think the R211 contract is big enough as it is. It covers everything up to around 1985 so the B division can get caught up to the A division. I’m pretty sure MTA would account for most of the cars being taken out of service.

So the MTA said at one point the (C) would remain 8 cars because the ridership doesn't warrant it. However I've used the (C) plenty of times during the day where trains would be packed like sardines cars or the train would be SRO. But wasn't the real reason all the time that 207th could only service 8 car train lengths and not 10?

So the MTA said at one point the (C) would remain 8 cars because the ridership doesn't warrant it. However I've used the (C) plenty of times during the day where trains would be packed like sardines cars or the train would be SRO. But wasn't the real reason all the time that 207th could only service 8 car train lengths and not 10?

IIMN, it has to do with the storage tracks at 174 Street Yard, because not all of them are long enough to accommodate 600' trains.

I think the R211 contract is big enough as it is. It covers everything up to around 1985 so the B division can get caught up to the A division. I’m pretty sure MTA would account for most of the cars being taken out of service.

The total order, with all options exercised, could be as big if not bigger than the entire R160 contract.  There are a few factors that affect how many options, if any, will be exercised:

• CBTC Installation (QBL, 8 and 6 Aves, Culver, etc, are being worked on ATM, even if just in design)

• SAS Phase 2/3 (even Phase 2 is not likely to open before the last R211 wraps up, but they should have the cars at the ready anyway)

• Fleet expansion to meet ridership demands ( (C), (G), (Q)(R), and (W) just to name a few)

While the R211 is supposed to be a major contract anyway, I hope the MTA learns two things from the R160 and R179 projects. First, never scrap cars prematurely; if they aren't needed, at least keep them in working condition in case there is a problem with any cars that need to be taken OOS for an extended period of time for some reason (this happened with the R142s in 2006-7).  And also, order more cars if needed rather than less to accommodate spare factor, CBTC, increase in ridership, etc.

Edited by Bosco

A train being SRO wouldn't warrant note cars added. Thats how the trains are suppose to be with standard ridership. You're not reserved a seat for your fare. Now if the whole train was packed to the doors with no room, then it would be warranted. The see is rarely,outside of a delay- that packed. Maybe the first and last cars due to most of the exits in Brooklyn placed there, but the rest is usually SRO. Perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

A train being SRO wouldn't warrant note cars added. Thats how the trains are suppose to be with standard ridership. You're not reserved a seat for your fare. Now if the whole train was packed to the doors with no room, then it would be warranted. The see is rarely,outside of a delay- that packed. Maybe the first and last cars due to most of the exits in Brooklyn placed there, but the rest is usually SRO. Perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I've never seen the (C) crowded to the extent where people were left on the platform as I've said before.