R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha. What was the issue on the (A)? Voltage drop between the distribution systems. Was it a propulsion issue or was it a subsystem issue CPU ect?  

I think it was some sort of voltage drop or voltage swing. Whatever it was, it caused a rerouted (C) to smoke up at Aqueduct a couple years ago.

I think it was some sort of voltage drop or voltage swing. Whatever it was, it caused a rerouted (C) to smoke up at Aqueduct a couple years ago.

Interesting smoke makes think voltage spike. Highest permanent voltage is 720Vdc with spikes up to 800Vdc. The NTT cars are designed to handle up to 780Vdc. Could have been issues with AC inverter maybe fried the system? The DC cars haven't had any issues correct? But on the other hand the Rockaways seems prime from voltage drop with the spacing between stations and two power companies. They'd just need to add a substation step up or down the feeder voltage to fix that. The 179's have any issues?

Edited by RailRunRob

Interesting smoke makes think voltage spike. Highest permanent voltage is 720Vdc with spikes up to 800Vdc. The NTT cars are designed to handle up to 780Vdc. Could have been issues with AC inverter maybe fried the system? The DC cars haven't had any issues correct? But on the other hand the Rockaways seems prime from voltage drop with the spacing between stations and two power companies. They'd just need to add a substation step up or down the feeder voltage to fix that. The 179's have any issues?

I think its been fixed after Sandy.

I think the Alstom set was always on the (N) / (Q) but the Kawasaki set started on the (A) and the moved to the (N).

Wrong. The Kawasaki set started on the (N) back in August 2006 then the testing was move to the (A) . The Alstom set was the one that started on the (A) .

And my previous response I meant to say the (Q) was originally supposed to receive R160s before the (N) but it became like the 6th line or so to receive them.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Wrong. The Kawasaki set started on the (N) back in August 2006 then the testing was move to the (A) . The Alstom set was the one that started on the (A) .

And my previous response I meant to say the (Q) was originally supposed to receive R160s before the (N) but it became like the 6th line or so to receive them.

Ah okay. My memory was a bit fuzzy

3015-3019 still need to get track tested, so keep an eye out for that.

Will it be tested at Broad Channel first, right and when?

Cause I really need to get with the times.

3015-3019 still need to get track tested, so keep an eye out for that.

Will it be tested at Broad Channel first, right and when?

Cause I really need to get with the times.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the R179 still needs to test 4th Avenue, Nassau St, Myrtle Av, 14th St-Canarsie and Jamaica lines and the Chrysite Street Cut?

In a nutshell. I mean after seeing footage of it on the Franklin Shuttle (of all places lol), one would assume they're doing every single B division area.

...come to think of it, the train hasn't touched the Rockaways either. The furthest it went was Broad Channel. Or the Lefferts branch.

...come to think of it, the train hasn't touched the Rockaways either. The furthest it went was Broad Channel. Or the Lefferts branch.

This is actually incorrect. The test train did all territory east of Pitkin the same night 3015 and 3016 were delivered (11/17), which coincidentally was the first night of clearance testing.

Good news guys, I spoke with the engineers that are riding the current test train (half Bombardier and half NYC Transit) about a few weeks ago and was told 3015-3019 will be tested in the Rockaways next week for 2 weeks and then be coupled with 3010-3014 for the full length system-wide clearance testing.

It's really nice seeing coverage and individuals who take time during their evening lives or early morning lives to film this. The testing will continue for the next few years correct?(meaning the new sets once production starts) or the testing will just be for the introductory set and the following sets will see immediate service after its prepped?