Two Suns in 2012? It Could Happen

MHV9218

I have been watching this stuff on the Science Channel (Discovery Network). I love those documentaries. The planets, solar systems, galaxies, moons, suns/stars, novas/super novas, black holes, gamma rays, etc. There are some solar systems, with twin stars/suns. I wish I had a telescope, to view this. Just the black hole that forms when those giant stars collapse, is a scary thing. I don't want it near us. Especially in 2012. Is this our end?????

Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse..............

BEETLEJUICE.jpg

well, we already have phoenix & miami....

seriously though....

why are people so caught up in this whole "when the world will come to an end" thing....

wasn't the world supposed to end in 2000?

why am I still typing this.....

December 22, 2012 ftw....

After a bad experience with Daylight Savings Time the very first year, I suspect Phoenix wouldn't want to see two suns in June, July, or August.

Our sun can be extremely bright and warm here. It might be something to do with the Arizona ozone but an extremely bright and warm sun at times, amazing sunsets, the moon during daytime, summertime mirages where water "appears to be in the distance" or the road "becomes wavy".

Sometimes, when the sun is just right, the sky becomes an amazing blue.

Maybe it might be better for two suns to appear in December, January, or February.

We have a short stretch in late December/early January where the sun doesn't appear until around 7:45/7:50am.

well, we already have phoenix & miami....

seriously though....

why are people so caught up in this whole "when the world will come to an end" thing....

wasn't the world supposed to end in 2000?

why am I still typing this.....

December 22, 2012 ftw....

The lights, power, computers were all suppose to fail. People going to store buying food ect lmfao!

Nothing seems to amaze me in this world.

However, that Asteroid Apophis is what we should be worried about. I was reading on that and at one point it will come so close that you will be able to see it with the naked eye, and it will be lower then all the satellites. Dont be worried because you have a better chance to win the lottery.

1984 was a novel by George Orwell copyright 1949. In 1984, after a war, the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand were one of three superpowers under the name of Oceania. Big Brother was the leader. Newspeak was replacing English, people were getting telescreens in their homes. Fortunately, 1984 didn't occur (not entirely).

What about 1984? I heard a similar thing years ago, though I was born in '91.

Stars die all the time. Even the sun will too. In fact several of them are going off right now, but we can't see them. Gamma Ray Bursts, and Supernovas aren't going to hurt us. In fact our probability of getting hit by an asteroid is higher then the chance of a Gamma Ray Burst killing us instantly.

To tell you even more a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) would only threaten life on Earth if one of it's poles were pointing towards us, and if it's close enough to affect us. That range would be 8,000 light years or less. If that happens then the gun would go off, and the massive amount of radiation would destroy our ozone layer which would wipe out all of mankind, but again the chance is slim, and it won't happen.

The only way we can get killed by a gamma ray burst without it's poles pointing at us would be if we were 100 light years or less from the explosion, and that chance is so slim it won't even happen in Earth's lifetime.

There is a lot more to gamma ray bursts, and supernovas, but if I do mention all of it this would be a massive essay. You would need to read more on this online.

This is what would happen if Earth or a similar planet is in the way which is again extremely slim.

gammarayburst.jpg

Gamma Ray Burst

collapsar_screenshot_med.jpg

Example of a dying star that could explode in a gamma ray burst (Eta Carinae) from 7,500 light years, but since stars move it won't kill us, because it would be too far away.

eta-carinae-2.jpg

Animated view of the surface of Betelgeuse.

betelgeuse.gif

This supernova is much, much farther away, and nobody actually knows when it will become a supernova. If they say it will explode "soon," in astronomical terms, that means "in a million years." And even if it does explode in our lifetime, it is over 600 light years away from Earth, too far away to cause any damage to the ozone layer or mass extinctions, or anything like that.

And even if we saw it as a sun, it wouldn't be as bright as our current sun, and if it was, we don't need any help speeding up global warming

Plus, here is an updated story from the exact same site

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/betelgeuse-not-likely-to-explode-in-2012/story-fn5fsgyc-1225992757166

Actually 600 light years would affect us if the gun was pointing towards us, but it's not, and this star is moving away from the sun. By the time it explodes it won't affect planet. It might be bright like a night light, and put up a spectacular night show, but it won't kill us.

Archived