Future for (K)?

pelhamlocal

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Better pray for the SAS 1st. The only time you would see something that would loosely resemble the (K) is when the (C) has that G.O where it only goes to WTC

Other than that, nope

To implement the (K) route, that would require an 8th ave train to switch at west 4th and then again at the Christie cut, right? Wouldn't this service pattern cause big delays?

Not really. The (K) route is completely covered by the (C) from 168 St to 50 St, then covered by both the (C) & (E) trains from 50 St to WTC. Besides, I don't think the WTC station can handle any more trains.

Here's something just for sentimental purposes (the (K) never ran R68s but you get the point lol)

2010-10-18005622.jpg

To implement the (K) route, that would require an 8th ave train to switch at west 4th and then again at the Christie cut, right? Wouldn't this service pattern cause big delays?

I think you're confused because there have been two separate and very different K trains.

The (K) that existed for a short time in the 80s was just a renaming of the 70(AA), and as mentioned, ran from 168th to WTC.

The 70(K) from the 60s and 70s ran from 57th/6th Avenue via the Chrystie cut to various points in the Eastern Division.

The (K)/70(AA) was a pretty useless route.

No rush hour service, because it was covered by the 70(CC) which became the diamond (C), and covered by the 70(:P which became the diamond (:P for 155 St, 163 St, and 168 St.

It only ran Middays, Evenings, and Weekends only! No late night service.

The (K) has no hope, unless a future route is created.

the (K) wouldn't be needed nowadays. We have the (C). The only reason the (K) was around was because of the <C>.

Though skip-stop service on the (L) I would like. IMO it needs it, waay too many local stops :P. Though I heard this from a website (NOT nycsubway.org) that the skip-stop line with the (L) was originally supposed to be (Y).

If you check my first Youtube videos on 4P3607, you will see I made my own rollsign (inspired by INDMan). I have the (Y) bullet in there.

The (K)/70(AA) was a pretty useless route.

No rush hour service, because it was covered by the 70(CC) which became the diamond (C), and covered by the 70(:P which became the diamond (B) for 155 St, 163 St, and 168 St.

It only ran Middays, Evenings, and Weekends only! No late night service.

The (K) has no hope, unless a future route is created.

I wouldn't call it useless. If you only travel during rush hours, then okay, sure. But if you wanted to take the kids to the Museum of Natural History on a weekend, then it came in pretty handy.

By the same logic, the 70(CC) was useless, because it only ran rush hours. But if you take the two of them together, you have basically what the (C) is today, except service to Brooklyn was slowly expanded over time. (First middays, which is why I think they renamed the (K), then weekends a decade later.)

If we're just talking about the K letter, then the most likely scenario is not changing service at all, but just renaming the (A) to Lefferts as the K, like a lot of people here have suggested. But the MTA isn't smart enough for that.

If we're just talking about the K letter, then the most likely scenario is not changing service at all, but just renaming the (A) to Lefferts as the K, like a lot of people here have suggested. But the MTA isn't smart enough for that.

It would certainly be smart of the MTA to rename the Lefferts Blvd (A) as the (K), but because it make sense, they won't do it.

Archived