SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It's a serious problem. TA really rushed things with Queens Blvd CBTC instead of just waiting for the base order of the R211's to get here.

That’s exactly what happened. Didn’t the CBTC contract read Queens Boulevard CBTC to be active in 2022? We could’ve still had R160’s in the south. 😒

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, VIP said:

That’s exactly what happened. Didn’t the CBTC contract read Queens Boulevard CBTC to be active in 2022? We could’ve still had R160’s in the south. 😒

Supposedly, TA wanted to take advantage of the low ridership to accelerate the CBTC installation which I think was a stupid move. If they wanted to finish working on CBTC, they should have put 160's on the (R) temporarily and then send them back until the R211's came in.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Supposedly, TA wanted to take advantage of the low ridership to accelerate the CBTC installation which I think was a stupid move. If they wanted to finish working on CBTC, they should have put 160's on the (R) temporarily and then send them back until the R211's came in.

How is implementing a service improvement (CBTC) quicker when possible a stupid move?

N/Q/W riders are getting the same service they was getting with the R160s, just with different cars. I really don't understand why railfans are so aggy over this swap two years after it started. The R46s are reliable and have gotten better compared to when they first arrived at CI. Less dead motors, less flat wheels, etc.

This isn't the 80s where trains had three digit MDBF and covered in graffiti and broken lights. The R46s aren't that bad:lol:

29 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

How is implementing a service improvement (CBTC) quicker when possible a stupid move?

N/Q/W riders are getting the same service they was getting with the R160s, just with different cars. I really don't understand why railfans are so aggy over this swap two years after it started. The R46s are reliable and have gotten better compared to when they first arrived at CI. Less dead motors, less flat wheels, etc.

This isn't the 80s where trains had three digit MDBF and covered in graffiti and broken lights. The R46s aren't that bad:lol:

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.

The R46's, especially the ones from Jamaica, are absolute garbage. And this isn't even from a railfan standpoint. Trains are constantly having the wrong sign up, doors getting stuck in the closed position, longer dwell times, etc etc.

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

doors getting stuck in the closed position, longer dwell times, etc etc.

My favorite 💖 spot to stand when I am in a train that alternates door opening sides between stations. Unlike the (N) to/from Brooklyn, I cannot stand in the same spot for the majority of my ride on most other trains. Among the entire subway system, the other routes where this is possible:

• <7> between Flushing–Main Street and Queensboro Plaza (Queens-bound)
  • <7> between Flushing–Main Street and Grand Central–42 Street (Manhattan-bound)
  • (4)(5) between Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and 125 Street (Bronx-bound)
  • (4)(5) between Bowling Green and 125 Street (Brooklyn-bound)
  • <6> between Pelham Bay Park and Grand Central–42 Street
  • <D> between 9 Avenue and Bedford Park Boulevard (Bronx-bound)
  • (E) between Jamaica–179 Street or Jamaica–Van Wyck and Lexington Avenue–53 Street
  • (N) (via 2 Avenue) between Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue and Lexington Avenue–63 Street
  • (Q) (via Sea Beach) between Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue and 72 Street

Those are the routes where you can literally sleep standing up against the door for a good stretch of time.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The number side of the NYC Subway, for the (6) and (7) wasn't as bad as it was. There has been an increase to trains and speed on the (7) line while the (6) isn't much of a difference minus one part that's a non-existing cab. Also, have enough spares courtesy of the (Q) on Second Av relieving the pressure for the Upper East Side. The flaw is only the summer season b/c of the air conditioning (R62As). 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.

The R46's, especially the ones from Jamaica, are absolute garbage. And this isn't even from a railfan standpoint. Trains are constantly having the wrong sign up, doors getting stuck in the closed position, longer dwell times, etc etc.

I don't doubt these things happen from time to time, but those problems are probably exaggerated:lol:

I've been in railfan internet circles for a long time and one thing I noticed is people in this hobby exaggerate the hell out of the flaws of some random bus or train they don't like.

I see a lot of NTT with cut out doors from time to time, its no big deal. 

Longer dwell times is a problem with the 75FT cars in general. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't doubt these things happen from time to time, but those problems are probably exaggerated:lol:

I've been in railfan internet circles for a long time and one thing I noticed is people in this hobby exaggerate the hell out of the flaws of some random bus or train they don't like.

I see a lot of NTT with cut out doors from time to time, its no big deal. 

Longer dwell times is a problem with the 75FT cars in general. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Dude, the R46's reliability has been on a nose dive. Plenty of T/O's have stated this on other places such as reddit, FB, etc. That's not exaggerating, It's a fact. A lot of people need to keep the same energy they had for the R32's reliability and flaws and point them out on the R46's as well.  This is what happens when you reduce the spare factor and run the cars to death on 3 24 hour routes. The pitkin ones are way better than the CI ones. They might be dirty due to the wash being out but they run a lot better than the CI ones.

5 hours ago, VIP said:

They were going to do the swap regardless but Jamaica won't be keeping all of those R160's in the coming years.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This is a joke, right?

Honestly, they should just put R46s on the (B); would reduce a lot of wear and tear.  The way the MTA runs them into the ground on the (N) and (Q) reminds me of when the agency used to have an obsession, 2009 to about 2015, about not running spare R32 put-ins on the (A) during rush hours. 

Some weeks the R46s would drop like flies left and right from the overwork and low spare factor, there would be 20-25 minute gaps in PM rush service on the A, but still RTO wouldn't do anything productive to fix the situation :facepalm: 

2 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Honestly, they should just put R46s on the (B); would reduce a lot of wear and tear.  The way the MTA runs them into the ground on the (N) and (Q) reminds me of when the agency used to have an obsession, 2009 to about 2015, about not running spare R32 put-ins on the (A) during rush hours. 

Some weeks the R46s would drop like flies left and right from the overwork and low spare factor, there would be 20-25 minute gaps in PM rush service on the A, but still RTO wouldn't do anything productive to fix the situation :facepalm: 

And they also went out of their way to ensure no R160's ever made it past Rockaway Blvd...

32 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

That's a good idea for the MTA and everyone in suggestion. However, there is a problem. The MTA members out of Concourse Yard does not want the lay-up none other than an R68 or R68A. This is all for maintenance and in-case, one of the (D) 's R68s spare-less as one of the trains will have a sort of mechanical problem, then a R68/A from the (B) will be available. Although, weekend service, they use some 68/As from the (B) that's out of Coney Island lay-up to be put on the (N) or (Q) but to have them back by Sunday night for weekday service. 

*Last month, when the crew shortage took place, they ran some of the 68's from the (B) pool due to their units used 24/7 that they need a break. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Dude, the R46's reliability has been on a nose dive. Plenty of T/O's have stated this on other places such as reddit, FB, etc. That's not exaggerating, It's a fact. A lot of people need to keep the same energy they had for the R32's reliability and flaws and point them out on the R46's as well.  This is what happens when you reduce the spare factor and run the cars to death on 3 24 hour routes. The pitkin ones are way better than the CI ones. They might be dirty due to the wash being out but they run a lot better than the CI ones.

They were going to do the swap regardless but Jamaica won't be keeping all of those R160's in the coming years.

I'm sorry but the MDBF do not reflect an "nosedive" of reliability. Dec 2021 R46s had an MDBF of 56,437 miles, R46 MDBF actually went UP from Nov 2021, hardly an nosedive. 

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

When the R68A made up the vast majority of the (B) line, its MDBF was barely higher than R46s in 2020. It shot up by 40,000 miles over the course of 2021 even though more sets ran on the Broadway lines. Trains are weird lol. Slightly O/T but the R179 MDBF shot up as well. I told everyone that things would be just fine having the R32 retire before the R211s hit revenue service and that seems to be the case so far. 

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

What part of CBTC has been active since the fall of 2020 do you people not get? How on earth could you send back R160s from the (R) for R46s when all the waysides have been deactivated?

For the love of god use your brains...

Umm y’all do know the R46’s are CBTC compatible right. And they’re the most reliable fleet at this very moment in time.  They actually aren’t being retired anymore until 2045 because they’re in such impeccable shape. So yeah the TA should send those fat asses back to where they belong. 🙃

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

What part of CBTC has been active since the fall of 2020 do you people not get? How on earth could you send back R160s from the (R) for R46s when all the waysides have been deactivated?

For the love of god use your brains...

Deactivated...not removed...

I remember once an (F) terminated at Kings Highway right after another (F) had some the same thing. Because the wait had been so long, those headed to the stops beyond were pissed and formed an angry mob. Then supervision got the (F) back on track to Coney Island. But not before the next Coney Island-bound (F) was already pulling into the station.

Right now should be one of those moments… the next (F) to Coney Island is 7 stations away. The last one is 7 stations ahead.

EDIT: Hmm… interesting. They automatically made this Kings Highway-bound (F) Coney Island-bound and made the train behind us run express from Jay Street to Kings Highway.

EDIT: there is also a kid hanging off the back of the train. He might die since the train is about to round a curve into West 8 Street. Who do I contact?

EDIT: They got off at West 8 Street. There were 3 of them apparently.

Edited by CenSin

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

EDIT: Hmm… interesting. They automatically made this Kings Highway-bound (F) Coney Island-bound and made the train behind us run express from Jay Street to Kings Highway.

To be honest the <F> trains should run express to Kings Highway or Neptune Ave. Idk why they didn't do that in the first place.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

To be honest the <F> trains should run express to Kings Highway or Neptune Ave. Idk why they didn't do that in the first place.

<F> trains run PM rush? I have not seen one other than the occasional late train playing catch-up.

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

The time saved for passenger south of Kings Hwy will be less than the additional time passengers north of it will incur waiting.

In other words, its not worth sacrificing service for passengers north of Neptune Ave to benefit the few riders south of it.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, Lawrence St said:

Yeah people keep complaining along Astoria that trains are arriving with the wrong signage and causing massive confusion at 57th St. 

Do the conductors know how to change the codes on the train?!

On 3/1/2022 at 8:20 AM, Lawrence St said:

It's a serious problem. TA really rushed things with Queens Blvd CBTC instead of just waiting for the base order of the R211's to get here.

Yep

20 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAdHcMM/

I saw this tiktok showing that the r46s had codes for the LIRR and MNR. Interesting since they would never be used for revenue service on those railroads.

at least we had those tests with the R44s on the LIRR

img_7649.jpg

And we also had the R32’s run into Grand Central via what is now Metro-North

84396204_10157281588003843_3763658516972