SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

14 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Then why don’t they get on with testing the R211 pilot train with passengers already? It’s been 15-16 months since those cars got here. What more tests or evaluation could they possibly need after all this time? How much more waiting truly is necessary before we really start seeing problems with the older cars? Get on with it already! 

I wish they would get on with it too; but there's obviously a reason the testing keeps getting extended & the revenue service date keeps getting pushed back. Supposedly, issues came up during the testing process; which is why we've been waiting as long as we have, along with other things COVID related. I just hope we don't really have to wait all the way until spring just to ride in these cars; We have waited long enough.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's because they run the damn things to death with barely to no spares. About 3 R46s were taken OOS this weekend on the (N) and (Q) lines. On Saturday i saw an R46 (N) empty at times sq on the express track and then today this shit happened.

This is what happens when (MTA) bites more than it can chew. They have to deal with this mess until the R211s are officially in service. 

Hopefully this wakes (MTA) and car equipment up.

Yes these 46s are taking a beating..Mainly cause of no spares and retireing 32s before the 211 are fully ready for service ..(MTA) got to find a way to give some of these cars a break...I say jamaica should take over The N or Q on Weekends until 211 enters service...

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Then why don’t they get on with testing the R211 pilot train with passengers already? It’s been 15-16 months since those cars got here. What more tests or evaluation could they possibly need after all this time? How much more waiting truly is necessary before we really start seeing problems with the older cars? Get on with it already! 

They ran into issues during testing and some parts had to be replaced (which is normal)  But you tie in the supply shortages and labor delays, It also affects the testing of the cars. They want to make sure these work right out of the gate. They don't want a repeat of the R179s.

This is what happens when the (MTA) get too confident and retires a whole fleet of subway cars instead of keeping them on reserve thinking "Hey we have the R211s, They'll be in service in the summer of 2022. We don't need this old shit." Meanwhile ridership continue to grow and the crew shortage is somewhat getting slightly better. But now they are still short on equipment and have no choice but to run the R46s/R68s to the ground.

3 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Yes these 46s are taking a beating..Mainly cause of no spares and retireing 32s before the 211 are fully ready for service ..(MTA) got to find a way to give some of these cars a break...I say jamaica should take over The N or Q on Weekends until 211 enters service...

I can see them doing this, They might have no choice, Bringing back the R32s would be a money drain due to the fact they would have to re train all the new hires from mid to late 2021 until present on top of repairing all the remaining cars they have only to run them for about 5-6 months. Plus it would be a big embarrassment to the (MTA)  after doing the last run retirement trips. It's not worth it unless a very big emergency happens or Kawasaki foots the bill.

Edited by R32 3838

Yeah, so can we not jump to conclusions…?

The 32s had to be retired. Let’s just accept that and move on. Like I said, they stopped training people on them long before I started. Having a standardized set up is just better.

I only have to walk across the cab to change which side I am opening up. No jumping from car to car, having to push past people to get to the other cab, amongst other things saving me and you all time. 

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

They are not that bad to justify shuffling all those cars around just for the weekend, they didn't do that for when the R32s were on the A/C in their final years so why would they do that for the R46s which are a little better?

16 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They are not that bad to justify shuffling all those cars around just for the weekend, they didn't do that for when the R32s were on the A/C in their final years so why would they do that for the R46s which are a little better?

Just cause they dont break down when u ride them dont make them reliable....46s not as young as you make them out to be....And yes they did do that for 32s..So why 160s started to run on the C...Shuffling what...You mean 160s off the QBL Main line how hard would that be...And what makes the 46s so better than the 32s in their final years...Nobody here crying and wining about the 32s being gone...Quite frankly i could care less cause i stop using the subway ...What i do agree with 3838 is that  they should have kept them until they  made sure 211 can start the replacement of old cars....

Edited by biGC323232

I said it before and I’ll say it again, there is absolutely no reason (MTA) had to retire the R32’s when they know dam well the R46’s are on their last legs and would not survive on the Broadway Lines 24/7 with more mileage on each run. 

And I still think they should have waited to activate CBTC on QBL until they got the R211’s in.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Just fount out the reason why that r46 got stuck, Wasn't the trains fault. the protection board was lose and ripped out all the 3rd rail contact shoes off the train. This was conformed by a TA worker.

Y'all see what happens when you jump to conclusions? Anytime an R46 has an issue, it's automatically 'because they dont have spares', 'the r46s are falling apart', 'the r32s should've been kept in service'.

Don't some of you ever get tired of repeating the same stuff? Cause I sure as hell get tired of seeing it & I know I'm not the only one. What's done is done, & no amount of complaining is going to make things better; They will eventually have a handful of R211s in service, and this will become a moot point.

3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Y'all see what happens when you jump to conclusions? Anytime an R46 has an issue, it's automatically 'because they dont have spares', 'the r46s are falling apart', 'the r32s should've been kept in service'.

Don't some of you ever get tired of repeating the same stuff? Cause I sure as hell get tired of seeing it & I know I'm not the only one. What's done is done, & no amount of complaining is going to make things better; They will eventually have a handful of R211s in service, and this will become a moot point.

It's the truth tho, I will admit i'll take the L on the stuck (Q) train but the the point still stands.

Last weekend I missed the (A) train, The next one was 20 mins away, thankfully a Q8 was right there, took the bus to euclid ave. Got on the (C) which was leaving in 5 mins, The (C) in front of mine (R46) was still at Sheppard av, It broke down and was taken OOS thus creating another 20 min gap. Now you do that with no spare trains. Now you have to deal with shitty service throughout the evening.  That is the problem and then You have the city and state pushing for congestion pricing and we have a subway car shortage again until the R211s finally hit service. (MTA) knew that the problems would pop up with the R211 fleet due to the effects of the pandemic. That train has parts from all over the world and when you have supply chain issues, It affects everything. This is why the R211s are delayed and why they aren't running yet as they ran into issues and have had some components (normal for most subway cars when new) replaced. 

This is why i and others say what we say, I'm tired of the "oh they had to go bullshit" when they spent millions in 2017-18 on 100 cars to keep them running until 2022-23. This "lets scrap shit first and ask questions later" is why we still don't have 100% full length (C) trains and longer (G) trains in 2022 which is very sad.

Y'all can't sit here and be like we want better transit and then on the other hand be wanting things to go when the replacements aren't here yet or when they don't have enough to replace everything. Even when the R211 are coming in, They should NOT retire any R46s that are in service until  at least 150 to 200 R211s are in service. 

(MTA) can't get away with the BS that they have done for years no more. Esp with the city/state pushing for congestion pricing. You already have people who are angry already and knows the system is garbage. This is why people went to cars, I always asked close ones why don't they take the train? They explained to me that the service is shit. I put 50% of the blame on Albany since they screwed the (MTA)  but the other 50% is all on the (MTA). It's like history repeating itself and people who clam they are all for mass transit seems to not give a shit.

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Just cause they dont break down when u ride them dont make them reliable....46s not as young as you make them out to be....And yes they did do that for 32s..So why 160s started to run on the C...Shuffling what...You mean 160s off the QBL Main line how hard would that be...And what makes the 46s so better than the 32s in their final years...Nobody here crying and wining about the 32s being gone...Quite frankly i could care less cause i stop using the subway ...What i do agree with 3838 is that  they should have kept them until they  made sure 211 can start the replacement of old cars....

The issue is that Jamaica needs the majority of their cars due to CBTC, They can loan some cars on weekends since you have (R) lay ups in CIY. And they don't get that I'm not saying bring em back. Every time someone mentions R32s on social media or on here, People tend to go full retard for no reason. They don't understand that no one wants shit service when they are trying to force people to pay money to go south of 59th st for $23 (that can change). We know there is a crew shortage but there is also a car shortage which the (MTA) was not expecting (they should have since everything that has electronics were slowed down during that time) since they thought the R211s would be in service now. They figured that if they retired the R32s in in early 2022, They wouldn't have to worry since ridership at that time in 2021 was still at 50% plus the crew shortage and money. So I understand why they made that decision which i repeatedly said a number of times but clearly some people are slow. R46s now have to suffer sadly which suck because these were very reliable cars. It's like when they left Jamaica, They just weren't the same anymore.

Edited by R32 3838

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

That still does not change the fact that (MTA) rushed this.

If I was in charge, I would have continued with the installation of CBTC on QBL but not activated it / changed fleet around until all the 211’s came in. Because I know that R46’s, which have been home to the (A) for a while, would not survive on heavy ridership/dwell times like Broadway. That’s also why I wouldn’t have retired 50 R32’s and instead assigned a small number to CIY/Pitkin.

30 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If I was in charge, I would have continued with the installation of CBTC on QBL but not activated it / changed fleet around until all the 211’s came in. Because I know that R46’s, which have been home to the (A) for a while, would not survive on heavy ridership/dwell times like Broadway. That’s also why I wouldn’t have retired 50 R32’s and instead assigned a small number to CIY/Pitkin.

Nah, If CBTC work is finished, Then they should use it. Broadway will be fine, It doesn't have the ridership as the (A)(C) or (E) does. Maybe the (Q) and (R) does but the (N) and (W) gets decent ridership which has been growing these past few years. The issue is just the low spare factor.

I wouldn't say (MTA) rushed this, They just shot themselves in the foot by relying too much on the R211s instead of just keeping the R32s as reserve fleet while testing the R211s. Money also played a role into this as well besides covid and politics. On Paper when you have a shortage of crews and half the ridership at that time (2020-21). It made sense to retire the R32s at that time because by the time the R211s hit service, They would not need the R32s anymore. The (MTA) didn't expect to run into numerous issues with the R211s. They took a bet on dealing with the low spare factor until the summer of 2022 and now we are all paying for it.

2 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Nah, If CBTC work is finished, Then they should use it. Broadway will be fine, It doesn't have the ridership as the (A)(C) or (E) does. Maybe the (Q) and (R) does but the (N) and (W) gets decent ridership which has been growing these past few years. The issue is just the low spare factor.

I wouldn't say (MTA) rushed this, They just shot themselves in the foot by relying too much on the R211s instead of just keeping the R32s as reserve fleet while testing the R211s. Money also played a role into this as well besides covid and politics. On Paper when you have a shortage of crews and half the ridership at that time (2020-21). It made sense to retire the R32s at that time because by the time the R211s hit service, They would not need the R32s anymore. The (MTA) didn't expect to run into numerous issues with the R211s. They took a bet on dealing with the low spare factor until the summer of 2022 and now we are all paying for it.

Astoria? Decent!?!? In what universe are you living in?

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

It's the truth tho, I will admit i'll take the L on the stuck (Q) train but the the point still stands.

Last weekend I missed the (A) train, The next one was 20 mins away, thankfully a Q8 was right there, took the bus to euclid ave. Got on the (C) which was leaving in 5 mins, The (C) in front of mine (R46) was still at Sheppard av, It broke down and was taken OOS thus creating another 20 min gap. Now you do that with no spare trains. Now you have to deal with shitty service throughout the evening.  That is the problem and then You have the city and state pushing for congestion pricing and we have a subway car shortage again until the R211s finally hit service. (MTA) knew that the problems would pop up with the R211 fleet due to the effects of the pandemic. That train has parts from all over the world and when you have supply chain issues, It affects everything. This is why the R211s are delayed and why they aren't running yet as they ran into issues and have had some components (normal for most subway cars when new) replaced. 

This is why i and others say what we say, I'm tired of the "oh they had to go bullshit" when they spent millions in 2017-18 on 100 cars to keep them running until 2022-23. This "lets scrap shit first and ask questions later" is why we still don't have 100% full length (C) trains and longer (G) trains in 2022 which is very sad.

Y'all can't sit here and be like we want better transit and then on the other hand be wanting things to go when the replacements aren't here yet or when they don't have enough to replace everything. Even when the R211 are coming in, They should NOT retire any R46s that are in service until  at least 150 to 200 R211s are in service. 

(MTA) can't get away with the BS that they have done for years no more. Esp with the city/state pushing for congestion pricing. You already have people who are angry already and knows the system is garbage. This is why people went to cars, I always asked close ones why don't they take the train? They explained to me that the service is shit. I put 50% of the blame on Albany since they screwed the (MTA)  but the other 50% is all on the (MTA). It's like history repeating itself and people who clam they are all for mass transit seems to not give a shit.

The large gaps in service are definitely frustrating; 15-20+ mins. for a train is absolutely ridiculous & unnacceptable. I've personally seen it too many times, whether it's the (A)(C) with the R46s, or even the (E) with the R160s (the best performing cars in the fleet).

You have alot of valid points which I don't discredit. I would never suggest that they scrap stuff without ready replacements. I think the real issue is that the R32s were in service for so long (due to their retirement being pushed back many years for multiple reasons), that seeing them finally get retired for good is a relief for me and others. I don't hate them, but they are waaay past their prime (lol) and needed a permanent rest (from passenger service). At least railfans got to say a proper goodbye.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

20 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Whether the MTA rushed it or not, it's temporary and won't last forever. The R211s will be here after they finish all necessary tests; the R46s will hang on until then.

7 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

The R32s ran on weekends when the (C) was split between 32s and 160s

What makes the 46s better than the 32s in their final years? Higher MDBF, T/Os still able to stop the R46 smoothly vs rough stops on the 32s, quieter, etc.

The R32 was an expensive old fleet to run (MTA said this in an news article) keeping them would have created more headaches not reduce them. 

The N & Q lines use like what, 15 - 20 sets of R46s on the weekends? You really think they would swap that many trainsets overnight? ... and then swap them back two days later? Sounds like an logical nightmare. They would use the B line layups at CIY before swapping 160s from Jamaica. Considering they don't use the (B) line layups in the masses on weekends perhaps the R46s condition isn't as bad as yall is making it out to be. 

16 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Nah these 46s are 

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32s ran on weekends when the (C) was split between 32s and 160s

What makes the 46s better than the 32s in their final years? Higher MDBF, T/Os still able to stop the R46 smoothly vs rough stops on the 32s, quieter, etc.

The R32 was an expensive old fleet to run (MTA said this in an news article) keeping them would have created more headaches not reduce them. 

The N & Q lines use like what, 15 - 20 sets of R46s on the weekends? You really think they would swap that many trainsets overnight? ... and then swap them back two days later? Sounds like an logical nightmare. They would use the B line layups at CIY before swapping 160s from Jamaica. Considering they don't use the (B) line layups in the masses on weekends perhaps the R46s condition isn't as bad as yall is making it out to be. 

Nah the 46s are straight garbage

...and i operate them