SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

34 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

The SMEEs don’t have dynamic brakes.

the technology wasn’t included in the fleet until the NTT design was launched.

I am pretty sure SMEEs have dynamic brakes it has been stated on this forum and elsewhere, and you can hear the motors when they pull into the station. I think the NTTs were the first to have regeneration, which allowed energy from dynamic brakes to go back into the third rail. I am still my original question.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think the delivery of the R262s will follow the delivery order the R142s did (first the (2) then the (5) and lastly, the (4))

I believe the (4) will get them first this time, then the (2) , and lastly the (5)

The (4) is a full time line and a Lex express, which is why I say they should get them first. The (2) is full time, & the (5) is Lex express, but part time.

The reason the (2)(5) got the R142s first is because they share a terminal, and the digital signs make it easy to switch trains. This time, they don't need to be the first to get the new trains; they'll get them so they won't have to put up with the combined strip maps anymore.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/man-dragged-to-death-after-clothes-caught-in-subway-train-door-at-columbus-circle/3920975/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand&fbclid=IwAR1HG8T99US9dhZJ6-Ljm6aQlCLGaZ3yXi7GkpmKB1e-xRCoDrZbUmGhm_U

Delays occured on the (1) line earlier today as a piece of clothing was stuck on the door with person while in motion

Edited by Calvin

12 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Someone once said that Redbirds used to drag people to death all the time.

That someone either exaggerated or flat out lied. There’s more criminal activity on the system now resulting in injuries or death than ever. I’m not even including the suicidal ones that usually happen over the holidays between Thanksgiving and New Years. My experience with the system over 60 years as a rider of the system even before the Redbirds came on the scene. The difference is that the NTT usually prevents the T/O and the C/R from getting the indication to proceed. When those cars arrived on the (6) line the school kids would use their feet to delay a train at St. Lawrence for 3-5 minutes daily around 3 pm. Even with the older SMEE cars dragging was a rare occurrence. Like I said “ my experience and recollection “. Carry on.

27 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

That someone either exaggerated or flat out lied. There’s more criminal activity on the system now resulting in injuries or death than ever. I’m not even including the suicidal ones that usually happen over the holidays between Thanksgiving and New Years. My experience with the system over 60 years as a rider of the system even before the Redbirds came on the scene. The difference is that the NTT usually prevents the T/O and the C/R from getting the indication to proceed. When those cars arrived on the (6) line the school kids would use their feet to delay a train at St. Lawrence for 3-5 minutes daily around 3 pm. Even with the older SMEE cars dragging was a rare occurrence. Like I said “ my experience and recollection “. Carry on.

You're definitely right that it's gotten out of hand down there, and it's really going to reduce ridership until the NYPD and TA can get things cleaned up underground. But I don't know if I would agree that it's worse "than ever." There were more than 15,000 transit felonies in 1981, about 14,000 in 1990. 2022 had 1,500 transit felonies as of October, meaning we can probably expect around 2,000 over the year. Unless there was a major shift in how certain felonies are classified that I'm not aware of – which is possible, I'm not a crime expert – I think we can safely say it's a lot safer than it used to be. 

36 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

You're definitely right that it's gotten out of hand down there, and it's really going to reduce ridership until the NYPD and TA can get things cleaned up underground. But I don't know if I would agree that it's worse "than ever." There were more than 15,000 transit felonies in 1981, about 14,000 in 1990. 2022 had 1,500 transit felonies as of October, meaning we can probably expect around 2,000 over the year. Unless there was a major shift in how certain felonies are classified that I'm not aware of – which is possible, I'm not a crime expert – I think we can safely say it's a lot safer than it used to be. 

That's why so many people are avoiding the subways and driving because it's "a lot safer than it used to be". lol We have a mental health crisis underground. You are looking at this based on stats and even there you are wrong. Transit crime is up 41%. Then factor in all of the unprovoked attacks and it's a mess. So many EDPs underground shoving people off platforms and other random attacks. Everyone says it's safe until they're the victim.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2022/10/24/transit-advocates--subways-are-in-a--state-of-emergency-

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

50 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You are looking at this based on stats and even there you are wrong.

What exactly is the point of this statement? I offered you crime stats from a period in the 1980s and 1990s, and crime stats from the present day. I didn't compare last year to this year, or two years ago to this year. What was "wrong" about anything I said? You can disagree with things I've said, not things I haven't said.

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I should have specified that I was focusing on accidents in particular. The criminal element is something else altogether. One thing my generation was TAUGHT was that you kept your back against a wall or a column.  Now with the explosion of EDPs throughout the city one must be extra vigilant wherever you are.  Just trying to clarify my point.  Carry on. 

9 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

What exactly is the point of this statement? I offered you crime stats from a period in the 1980s and 1990s, and crime stats from the present day. I didn't compare last year to this year, or two years ago to this year. What was "wrong" about anything I said? You can disagree with things I've said, not things I haven't said.

So in other words, you conveniently omitted the fact that crime is worse this year compared to last year, knowing that we've been essentially going in and out of a pandemic with much lower ridership, even last year? lol Also, I was taking the subway in the 90s. It was actually fairly safe then. It's the 70s and the 80s that were really bad when the City was suffering financially. 

That said, you really can't compare those times anyway because as @Trainmaster5 noted, we have an explosion of EDPs, so safety concerns are totally different now. It used to be that if you kept your personal belongings safe, you were fine generally speaking, but that isn't a given now with so many people being attacked unprovoked. Anyway you slice it, the current administration (City & State) is FAILING to keep NYC safe. The guy involved in the latest platform shoving had over 30 arrests. A career criminal and a mentally disturbed individual who should've never been released, but here we are.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/survivor-shoved-onto-tracks-reacts-to-nyc-safety-plan-cops-make-arrest/3920589/

54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in other words, you conveniently omitted the fact that crime is worse this year compared to last year, knowing that we've been essentially going in and out of a pandemic with much lower ridership, even last year? lol Also, I was taking the subway in the 90s. It was actually fairly safe then. It's the 70s and the 80s that were really bad when the City was suffering financially. 

That said, you really can't compare those times anyway because as @Trainmaster5 noted, we have an explosion of EDPs, so safety concerns are totally different now. It used to be that if you kept your personal belongings safe, you were fine generally speaking, but that isn't a given now with so many people being attacked unprovoked. Anyway you slice it, the current administration (City & State) is FAILING to keep NYC safe. The guy involved in the latest platform shoving had over 30 arrests. A career criminal and a mentally disturbed individual who should've never been released, but here we are.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/survivor-shoved-onto-tracks-reacts-to-nyc-safety-plan-cops-make-arrest/3920589/

The quote I responded to, if you read any of these posts besides making up a conversation, was that crime was worse "than ever." Nobody brought up this year against last year. And by the way, the crime rate is actually far lower than the 1990s, as surprising as that might seem. I don't disagree with you about the presence of EDPs or the problem at hand.

7 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I should have specified that I was focusing on accidents in particular. The criminal element is something else altogether. One thing my generation was TAUGHT was that you kept your back against a wall or a column.  Now with the explosion of EDPs throughout the city one must be extra vigilant wherever you are.  Just trying to clarify my point.  Carry on. 

Agreed. That much is definitely back – it chills me how often I hear from people of all ages now that they stand with backs against the wall when a train approaches. For my part, I definitely look over my shoulders. Not something I did as much a few years ago.

Edited by MHV9218

Speaking of EDPs - I was at the 86th St. (4)(5)(6) station last week, and there were multiple homeless/EDPs there. One of them got on the platform I was on and started intentionally kicking trash from on the platform onto the tracks. As most of us know, that is the leading cause of track fires; what an idiot.

We really have a serious problem in this city with mental illness that nobody seems to take serious enough, including the people in the highest power positions. It's very easy to talk, but if there are no actions to back up what one says, their words mean little to nothing. Somebody has to step up to the plate.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The quote I responded to, if you read any of these posts besides making up a conversation, was that crime was worse "than ever." Nobody brought up this year against last year. And by the way, the crime rate is actually far lower than the 1990s, as surprising as that might seem. I don't disagree with you about the presence of EDPs or the problem at hand.

Agreed. That much is definitely back – it chills me how often I hear from people of all ages now that they stand with backs against the wall when a train approaches. For my part, I definitely look over my shoulders. Not something I did as much a few years ago.

I know very well what you responded to, which is why it's confusing that you would bring up the 90s when transit crime was far worse in the 70s and 80s. You also know that in most crime conversations, people compare crime NOW vs. the previous year to see if crime is increasing or decreasing, yet you are pretending as if that isn't relevant when it is. Comical... Why would you need to look over your shoulder if crime is so low? Is it only the EDPs or other concerns? I recall you commenting a while back about junkies shooting up at the West 4th St station. 

@RandomRider0101 If the person was an EDP, then they likely aren't coherent in the first place. As far as someone stepping up (lol) we have a Progressive Mayor and a Progressive Governor that should be doing that. Now that elections are coming up, it seems that the powers that be are "concerned". 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

16 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@RandomRider0101 If the person was an EDP, then they likely aren't coherent in the first place. As far as someone stepping up (lol) we have a Progressive Mayor and a Progressive Governor that should be doing that. Now that elections are coming up, it seems that the powers that be are "concerned". 

I know EDPs are incoherent, it just bothers me when I see certain things. This person looked like an EDP, and I was a bit nervous standing near them on the platform as I was worried they may snap at any moment; if they would randomly do something like that, what else would they do? You just never know.

Since we have these 'Progressives' in power, it is their jobs to do something about these things. They keep pushing all these liberals down our throats, but what are they actually doing for us? I trust that chipmunk about as far as I can throw her. In the case of Adams, I'm not really sure about him; he used to be NYPD, and many of us have heard the stories about their corruption. Honestly, I don't really trust any of these politicians, as I feel like they're all corrupt. It's just multiple agendas rolled up into one big agenda.

1 minute ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I know EDPs are incoherent, it just bothers me when I see certain things. This person looked like an EDP, and I was a bit nervous standing near them on the platform as I was worried they may snap at any moment; if they would randomly do something like that, what else would they do? You just never know.

Since we have these 'Progressives' in power, it is their jobs to do something about these things. They keep pushing all these liberals down our throats, but what are they actually doing for us? I trust that chipmunk about as far as I can throw her. In the case of Adams, I'm not really sure about him; he used to be NYPD, and many of us have heard the stories about their corruption. Honestly, I don't really trust any of these politicians, as I feel like they're all corrupt. It's just multiple agendas rolled up into one big agenda.

Well yeah. Luckily nothing else happened... As for Adams, I was actually hopeful that he would get crime under control since he was an ex-NYPD officer and is quite familiar with the issues underground that can cause problems, and thus would be able to sway electeds up in Albany to make changes to Bail Reform, which in reality is the only way to stop these career criminals from roaming the system.  There are other Progressive electeds that continue to say that more police isn't the answer and that Bail Reform is working. Of course these "limousine liberals" are not taking the subway. They are being sheltered and driven around, so they don't have to worry about crime in the subways, which is why they can believe in these hypothetical scenarios that sound great, but aren't practical in every day living.  The criminals are even laughing because they are being released over and over again when they should be locked up.

That also doesn't mean that the Republicans would totally resolve the issue.  I'm not that naive, but what is happening right now is a lot of inaction while people are being killed and brutally attacked in the subway, and the people that keep saying that crime isn't that bad because some stats show that certain crimes have dropped aren't the ones that have been attacked or killed, so when it isn't them dealing with the issue, then of course they are in denial.  When you have a mental illness crisis as we do now in our transit system, all bets are off. You can talk about crime stats all you want because someone who is unhinged doesn't give a damn about them or anything else, and that's the scary part.  

In an aforementioned link I posted from NBC, only now are the Democrats talking about addressing the EDP issue... 50 beds is a joke. There are far more mentally ill individuals roaming the streets here and 50 beds is a drop in the bucket.  If it wasn't election time, I'm not even sure they would be doing that. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well yeah. Luckily nothing else happened... As for Adams, I was actually hopeful that he would get crime under control since he was an ex-NYPD officer and is quite familiar with the issues underground that can cause problems, and thus would be able to sway electeds up in Albany to make changes to Bail Reform, which in reality is the only way to stop these career criminals from roaming the system.  There are other Progressive electeds that continue to say that more police isn't the answer and that Bail Reform is working. Of course these "limousine liberals" are not taking the subway. They are being sheltered and driven around, so they don't have to worry about crime in the subways, which is why they can believe in these hypothetical scenarios that sound great, but aren't practical in every day living.  The criminals are even laughing because they are being released over and over again when they should be locked up.

That also doesn't mean that the Republicans would totally resolve the issue.  I'm not that naive, but what is happening right now is a lot of inaction while people are being killed and brutally attacked in the subway, and the people that keep saying that crime isn't that bad because some stats show that certain crimes have dropped aren't the ones that have been attacked or killed, so when it isn't them dealing with the issue, then of course they are in denial.  When you have a mental illness crisis as we do now in our transit system, all bets are off. You can talk about crime stats all you want because someone who is unhinged doesn't give a damn about them or anything else, and that's the scary part.  

In an aforementioned link I posted from NBC, only now are the Democrats talking about addressing the EDP issue... 50 beds is a joke. There are far more mentally ill individuals roaming the streets here and 50 beds is a drop in the bucket.  If it wasn't election time, I'm not even sure they would be doing that. 

Yeah, neither Democrats nor Republicans can be trusted. They're both corrupt, just in different ways.