SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

13 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It is said that next year between 2023 and 2024, the Williamsburg Bridge will be shutdown for 25 weekends. Expect a change in travel and crowded B39 buses in the future. 

Saturdays and Sunday’s for (J)(M) lines 

https://gothamist.com/news/j-train-closures-expected-for-next-2-years-due-to-williamsburg-bridge-rehab

The MTA really going out there with weekend closures ever since the (L) shutdown, must've been really successful for this to continue the way it is.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

https://gothamist.com/news/j-train-closures-expected-for-next-2-years-due-to-williamsburg-bridge-rehab

The MTA really going out there with weekend closures ever since the (L) shutdown, must've been really successful for this to continue the way it is.

I think it’s pretty clear why the closures are not going to be 24/7 or EVERY weekend like they did with the (2)(3)(4) and (5) train reroutes when the Clark St tunnel was closed weekends for 1 year and the base schedule was changed.

the (L) tunnel is still undergoing repairs and every night there is single tracking from 12AM to 5AM, with the tunnel closed alternating each night and that’s planned until NEXT December 2023

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

And then before you know it you’ll start hearing of Manhattan Bridge subway closures again

Edited by darkstar8983

On 12/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Exactly: think of why OPTÓ wasn’t implemented permanently on the (L) - unions prevented the loss of those train operator and conductor Jobs. Think of why the Sandy Repairs to the (L) were as botched as they were? Former “Prince Cuomo” didn’t want a full shutdown and thought the extensive work could be done with night and weekend closures.

why hasn’t CBTC started up yet throughout the system? Dinero! (Money) 

And IMO, at the time "Prince Cuomo" was thinking about a Presidential campaign in 2020 and feared a full-bore (L) shutdown would have resulted in traffic jams in Manhattan that were so bad he would specifically be blamed for such and it would have cost him the primaries in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and to a lesser extent Pennsylvania and even Delaware.   That IMO drove what happened with the (L)

I know we've run the deinterlining arguments into the ground, but for 149 St - Grand Concourse, if we were to deinterline the (2) and the (5) to the point where the (5) is eliminated and the (3) replaces the (5) would it end up making service better as a whole or worse or just have no change in how service is run. As in, do you think it's worth it to deinterline in the Bronx. 

2 hours ago, Theli11 said:

I know we've run the deinterlining arguments into the ground, but for 149 St - Grand Concourse, if we were to deinterline the (2) and the (5) to the point where the (5) is eliminated and the (3) replaces the (5) would it end up making service better as a whole or worse or just have no change in how service is run. As in, do you think it's worth it to deinterline in the Bronx. 

At this point, I wouldn't mind trying this out for like a week or two and construct a concensus to see what people think. If people don't mind it, cool run this service for the next month or two and see if anyone still doesn't mind. If people complain, that's fine, just go back to running the (5).

On 12/16/2022 at 1:28 AM, Calvin said:

It is said that next year between 2023 and 2024, the Williamsburg Bridge will be shutdown for 25 weekends. Expect a change in travel and crowded B39 buses in the future. 

Saturdays and Sunday’s for (J)(M) lines 

What does shuttle bus service and J or M pattern look like?

49 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

At this point, I wouldn't mind trying this out for like a week or two and construct a concensus to see what people think. If people don't mind it, cool run this service for the next month or two and see if anyone still doesn't mind. If people complain, that's fine, just go back to running the (5).

Agreed. I’m against the whole idea but I just want to know if Dyre Ave demands Lexington Service 

4 hours ago, Theli11 said:

Agreed. I’m against the whole idea but I just want to know if Dyre Ave demands Lexington Service 

I’m gonna be straightforward about this. The Dyre line wants the Lexington line service,period. When the line was connected at East 180th Street years ago the (2) line ran from Dyre Avenue to New Lots with shuttle service late nights and the (5) ran along WPR to 241st Street. That pattern was reversed with the (2) and (5) swapping terminals uptown. That’s what the ridership wanted back then. I was trying to make sense of the proposal suggesting that the (5) be replaced with the (3) service. Is someone suggesting that there be Seventh Avenue services up there with no Lexington Avenue service . Instead they want everyone desiring East side service to transfer at the Concourse station. Wow. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m gonna be straightforward about this. The Dyre line wants the Lexington line service,period. When the line was connected at East 180th Street years ago the (2) line ran from Dyre Avenue to New Lots with shuttle service late nights and the (5) ran along WPR to 241st Street. That pattern was reversed with the (2) and (5) swapping terminals uptown. That’s what the ridership wanted back then. I was trying to make sense of the proposal suggesting that the (5) be replaced with the (3) service. Is someone suggesting that there be Seventh Avenue services up there with no Lexington Avenue service . Instead they want everyone desiring East side service to transfer at the Concourse station. Wow. Carry on.

Personally, I think that's the wrong way for the (3) to go, anyway.

MTA Details Improvement Projects Along the 7 Line 

This projects include station renewals at 6 stations on the (7) 52nd street 61 street 69 street 82 street 103 street and 111 street

This also includes the new station reNEWal program which will happen at the following stations: court square and Vernon Blvd Jackson Avenue 

MTA details improvement projects along the (7)line:

these projects include 6 station renewal at the following stations: 52 St, Wooside 61 St, 69 St, 82 st, 103 st, and 111 st

other projects along the (7) are part of the station reNEWation which provides deep cleaning at the following stations: Court Square and Vernon Blvd. The woodside 61 street rehabilitation is expected to start in 2023, same for the following 5 stations, contract is expected to be awarded this month according to the MTA, Flushing line riders will finally be provided with upgrades at their stations 

Edited by Chris89292

On 11/29/2022 at 7:01 PM, texassubwayfan555 said:

I wonder if they will actually try to keep the stations clean after doing this?

I bet they won’t, the program will last for a few months and later be forgotten like other programs created in the past, it’s also going to happen on chosen stations, we won’t see this happening in all 472 stations

13 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

MTA details improvement projects along the (7)line:

these projects include 6 station renewal at the following stations: 52 St, Wooside 61 St, 69 St, 82 st, 103 st, and 111 st

other projects along the (7) are part of the station reNEWation which provides deep cleaning at the following stations: Court Square and Vernon Blvd. The woodside 61 street rehabilitation is expected to start in 2023, same for the following 5 stations, contract is expected to be awarded this month according to the MTA, Flushing line riders will finally be provided with upgrades at their stations 

Hhmm.... What about 90th St-Elmhurst Ave, is that the forgotten station lol.

5 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Hhmm.... What about 90th St-Elmhurst Ave, is that the forgotten station lol.

Apparently 90th street wasn’t added as part of the project, I don’t know why🤷‍♂️ I only know that it’ll receive a few upgrades such as new platform edges, but no rehabilitation 

On 12/16/2022 at 7:24 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I think it’s pretty clear why the closures are not going to be 24/7 or EVERY weekend like they did with the (2)(3)(4) and (5) train reroutes when the Clark St tunnel was closed weekends for 1 year and the base schedule was changed.

the (L) tunnel is still undergoing repairs and every night there is single tracking from 12AM to 5AM, with the tunnel closed alternating each night and that’s planned until NEXT December 2023

No wonder Maintenance Productivity is low…

Serious question for the technically minded folks:

how possible would it be to install a "simplified" CBTC system on the museum fleet that sends out its location so the system knows where it is and receives signals from it (almost like cab signalling) but doesn't include ATO, so that museum trains can continue to operate as more and more sections of track are cut over?

16 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Serious question for the technically minded folks:

how possible would it be to install a "simplified" CBTC system on the museum fleet that sends out its location so the system knows where it is and receives signals from it (almost like cab signaling) but doesn't include ATO, so that museum trains can continue to operate as more and more sections of track are cut over?

It would still likely be quite expensive to retrofit any kind of CBTC equipment onto a SMEE. (That is why the R62/As and R68/As will not get the technology installed.) Only small sections of the system are currently using CBTC and the rollout of new sections is going very slow. (I would love it if the MTA could get their act together and speed up the roll out.) Also, the CBTC equipped sections all receive a new backup fixed block system that is currently used for work trains, and will likely be used for museum trains in the future.

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

It would still likely be quite expensive to retrofit any kind of CBTC equipment onto a SMEE. (That is why the R62/As and R68/As will not get the technology installed.) Only small sections of the system are currently using CBTC and the rollout of new sections is going very slow. (I would love it if the MTA could get their act together and speed up the roll out.) Also, the CBTC equipped sections all receive a new backup fixed block system that is currently used for work trains, and will likely be used for museum trains in the future.

Why is it so difficult for CBTC to be installed?

can’t they just slap a sensor at each end of a consist (including conductor ends) that details their speed and braking distance that informs the operator when it’s too close to another train?

On 12/17/2022 at 9:25 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m gonna be straightforward about this. The Dyre line wants the Lexington line service,period. When the line was connected at East 180th Street years ago the (2) line ran from Dyre Avenue to New Lots with shuttle service late nights and the (5) ran along WPR to 241st Street. That pattern was reversed with the (2) and (5) swapping terminals uptown. That’s what the ridership wanted back then. I was trying to make sense of the proposal suggesting that the (5) be replaced with the (3) service. Is someone suggesting that there be 2 Seventh Avenue services up there with no Lexington Avenue service . Instead they want everyone desiring East side service to transfer at the Concourse station. Wow. Carry on.

I strongly agree with your comment here. I've said it on the forums before that you cannot simply deinterline everything in the subway, and what the MTA wants for the benefit of the passengers, is for each trunk with 2 or more subway routes have access to both sides of Manhattan, whether the line is 24/7, Rush Hour, or whatever the case is.

Examples being:
QBL Express (E)(F)

53rd St (E)(M)
Eastern Pkwy (3)(4)

Nostrand Av/WPR (2)(5)

CPW (A)(D)(C)(B)

Brighton (B)(Q) 
4th Av Express (D)(N) 

This is the problem with these deinterlining folks is they don't understand that eliminating a route that is heavily used, or rerouting it is not only going to cause problems for those commuting, but it will cause confusion, and confusion definitely leads to increased dwell times so on and so forth. The main topic is always eliminating the (5). Eliminating the (5) is going to overcrowd the (2) and (4), and there will be not enough trains to even alleviate the crowds. This is why the (5) runs every day to Manhattan from the Bronx, even if WPR is closed off on weekends, MTA still makes an effort to have the (5) run from the Bronx, whether it's from Dyre Avenue, 149th Street, hell, even Burnside Avenue. The only de interlining I would like to see is the DeKalb Junction, having the (D), and (Q) switch places. My takes, carry on.

3 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Why is it so difficult for CBTC to be installed?

can’t they just slap a sensor at each end of a consist (including conductor ends) that details their speed and braking distance that informs the operator when it’s too close to another train?

Because CBTC is a highly advanced system used for trains to run closer together and needs to consistently be tested in order for them to work safely for when it is active on a line/s, we won’t have a incident when God Forbid two trains collide because of a faulty computer system. Plus the process is long as some branches have to shut down entirely for certain weekends to not only replace old 50 year old signals, but to do cables and all that technological stuff which takes a while and cost money. Plus you add delays while testing trains along that corridor. I wished the MTA would do ATC systems like most other transit system uses like CTA, WMATA, BART and etc but it’s too late now.