SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

When you have (MTA), the city and state pushing for congestion pricing and wanting to charge $23 to go below 60th st. This right here isn't a good idea and the fact they they want to do this in June of next year is laughable. The whole ridership is down is non sense when i ride the subway daily and the trains are packed. We all know its not pre pandemic levels but you can't sit here and try to force people to take mass transit but take away options at the same time. This is why people oppose congestion pricing. 

It's not about having a hyperfocus on the R46s cars. It's about having enough subway cars so when they do congestion pricing, They'll have enough Trains to cover for the expected ridership jump.

I'm not saying that ridership isn't high; trust me I've seen and been on crowded trains and buses pretty often since ridership climbed to somewhat normal levels. What I'm saying is that it isn't to the same degree as before; That's why MTA is making the mentioned service adjustments.

I also never said I supported congestion pricing; if the situation is really that bad, then I'm sure they will put the plan on hold until they know for sure when they'll have more cars available. I'm assuming that's why they selected the June 2023 date, because they expect a decent amount of R211s to be in by then.

In any case, I hope that happens since there has been constant delays; if it means making sure that the R211s are as reliable as possible when they enter service, then they should take all the time they need.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I'm not saying that ridership isn't high; trust me I've seen and been on crowded trains and buses pretty often since ridership climbed to somewhat normal levels. What I'm saying is that it isn't to the same degree as before; That's why MTA is making the mentioned service adjustments.

I also never said I supported congestion pricing; if the situation is really that bad, then I'm sure they will put the plan on hold until they know for sure when they'll have more cars available. I'm assuming that's why they selected the June 2023 date, because they expect a decent amount of R211s to be in by then.

In any case, I hope that happens since there has been constant delays; if it means making sure that the R211s are as reliable as possible when they enter service, then they should take all the time they need.

The fact of the matter is, ridership is still only about 60% of pre-pandemic levels overall, so while some buses and trains may be crowded, ridership is only a little more than half of what it normally was pre-pandemic, which for the (MTA) is no good, given that they rely on fare box revenue for a chunk of their operating budget.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:18 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Did you read the link they posted?  The response as to why was very clear. Ridership is supposedly lighter during those days.

Should be straight forward. If it's something that will likely be discussed for several pages, it should have its own thread. If it's just a random thought that can be answered in one or two responses, it probably doesn't need its own thread.

That doesn’t justify the reason why they reduce service, the 7 line is the most used line in the system, why would they do that? Unless they want to do that during mid day service

On 12/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

Update to my original post. If you read the article, there's a reason those two days were selected. Mondays & Fridays are consistently lower compared to the rest of the weekdays.

But the 7 line is heavily used, the stations get crowded once a train is delayed for like 7 minutes, this is yet another bad move by the MTA

Just now, Chris89292 said:

That doesn’t justify the reason why they reduce service, the 7 line is the most used line in the system, why would they do that? Unless they want to do that during mid day service

I never said it did. I simply stated what their argument is.  For the record, I think this is a dumb move.  However, they've also argued that they now have enough data on those days to see what ridership is like to make such a change, and in theory, they should, as the pandemic started over two years ago.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, Chris89292 said:

But the 7 line is heavily used, the stations get crowded once a train is delayed for like 7 minutes, this is yet another bad move by the MTA

Yes the (7) is a heavily used line; so is the (E)(F) , and many other lines in the system. That doesn't make them immune to service cuts. If ridership is lighter during certain time periods (which is the case with all services), that is the perfect justification for reducing service. I'm not saying it's right; it certainly isn't good news for us passengers. But that's just how it works.

This is an agency that relies heavily on fare revenue; that fare revenue funds the service that we get. When you have a chunk of that revenue missing, you will have a hard time maintaining the same levels of service; not to mention the crew shortages, which only adds to the problems.

1 hour ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yes the (7) is a heavily used line; so is the (E)(F) , and many other lines in the system. That doesn't make them immune to service cuts. If ridership is lighter during certain time periods (which is the case with all services), that is the perfect justification for reducing service. I'm not saying it's right; it certainly isn't good news for us passengers. But that's just how it works.

This is an agency that relies heavily on fare revenue; that fare revenue funds the service that we get. When you have a chunk of that revenue missing, you will have a hard time maintaining the same levels of service; not to mention the crew shortages, which only adds to the problems.

The biggest issue is that (MTA) even if the ridership grows back, They tend to keep things the same. The (MTA) wanted to keep reduced post pandemic (C) / (F)  reduced service when they only ran 50% of both lines. The union had to fight to get full service back on those lines in 2021. That's the issue with (MTA), They cut shit and try to keep these cuts which doesn't help anyone. No matter how you put it, It makes (MTA) look bad when you have them touting that they need additional revenue by charging people who drive $23 to go south of 60th st. It's a bad look and the whole Monday and Friday changes  are not sitting well with the union and the transit workers. All this does is screw things up more than helping.

There are other ways to cut costs, Reducing services during 2 weekdays isn't one of them. They need to trim the fat at 2 Broadway instead of taking it out on passengers.

I don't have a problem with them reducing some service on weekdays, which BTW MTA said they will not have public hearing on. 

My problem mostly stemmed from the fact that (MTA) still provides terrible service on weekends (and nights). The so called discretionary only riders that (MTA) figures travel on the weekend has to deal with worsening service, never ending construction, never ending train suspension, bunched up service, terrible service headways for many many years now. 

Beefing lines unrelated to the ones they cut on Monday and Friday doesn't sit right to me. The entire B Div except for the ones they mention could stand for an increase in weekend service, but no lets put it all on the (J)(M)(G) , yet the cuts spread throughout the city. If this is their give back to the city, maybe I am just selfish, is not a fair trade, because now we may have to deal with in Queens (and others) potentially crappy Monday, Friday, Sat and Sunday service instead of just Sat and Sun

I am getting so fed up with this terrible service on weekend that I think they should just do a 24/7 closure of lines of selected portions and just do years of constructions in a couple of months. The (G) was cut back from 71 Ave because of WEEKEND construction. This thing has been going on since before 2008. Weekend construction has been going on almost every weekend in some form for 20 years now.

Edited by Mtatransit

1 minute ago, CenSin said:

At least this one was publicized. The (N) service was quietly reduced a while ago. Trains are like 15 minutes apart sometimes. That was unheard of except on the (G), (S), or night time service.

The (N) reductions are because of crew availability and subway car availability issues, not a defined schedule change. But unfortunately when it’s only one or two scattered missing trips, the MTA site is not updated to say “expect longer wait times for (N) trains - we are running as much service as we can with the train crews available.”

Other than an Saturday only (D) line G.O, this weekend there was no G.Os on any line in the system this weekend. 

There's no weekend G.Os next weekend except for a minor (D) line G.O skipping 155th S/B. Back in the day up until the late 2000s, they rarely had weekend G.Os between Thanksgiving and New Years.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

At least this one was publicized. The (N) service was quietly reduced a while ago. Trains are like 15 minutes apart sometimes. That was unheard of except on the (G), (S), or night time service.

This is common on the weekend on the (N) from what I noticed, (N) line headways seems normal on weekdays from my experiences.

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This is common on the weekend on the (N) from what I noticed, (N) line headways seems normal on weekdays from my experiences.

Not to/from Coney Island… I’m talking about rush hour and midday weekdays. Sometimes I wonder if a bunch of them just get put in at 86 Street directly from the yard.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Not to/from Coney Island… I’m talking about rush hour and midday weekdays. Sometimes I wonder if a bunch of them just get put in at 86 Street directly from the yard.

Yes. I think about 10-11 trains start in the morning from Coney Island Yard so they don’t serve Stillwell Av.

2 hours ago, CenSin said:

Yes they do. Most of the (N) trains start at 86 St from the C.I Yard during the mornings with a few in the afternoon. Exception of one as a (Q) via Sea Beach 

Edited by Calvin

On 12/19/2022 at 4:14 PM, Chris89292 said:

Why would they reduce service on mondays and fridays? It’s not like everyone don’t take the train during those days, at this point they’re just creating random services to make themselves look like they’re doing their job on making service better 

Simple:

Work patterns have changed.  Many people even if they do work the traditional Monday-Friday week only go into the office three days a week (most likely Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and often work from home the other two (often Monday and Friday),  Many more often work Saturday, Sunday or both and often are off on Monday or Friday if so (while some may work a Thursday-Monday or Friday-Tuesday week, very few actually do that).   This is the MTA responding to actual ridership patterns.  

41 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think the MTA should consider running Saturday service during the week between Christmas and New Years Eve, in addition to holidays I.e Columbus Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Veterans Day. The trains usually carry air those days and transit runs full weekday service there

I don't know what trains you're looking at, but plenty of people work on the days you're proposing to trim back service, not to mention that people come in for parades, shopping, etc. Not the brightest idea... It's clear that you don't understand how the City works. The majority of New Yorkers don't drive or have a car and are transit-dependent. The (MTA) provides a public service...

Additionally, instead of looking at maybe the train you use, I'm sure the (MTA) has ridership data to ascertain service levels. That's how service works, not by looking at ONE train passing by that may not be packed at that location and then saying service should be cut. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 12/26/2022 at 9:42 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Simple:

Work patterns have changed.  Many people even if they do work the traditional Monday-Friday week only go into the office three days a week (most likely Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and often work from home the other two (often Monday and Friday),  Many more often work Saturday, Sunday or both and often are off on Monday or Friday if so (while some may work a Thursday-Monday or Friday-Tuesday week, very few actually do that).   This is the MTA responding to actual ridership patterns.  

No they aren't. These changes are not being implemented immediately. They are being done in SIX months, in June 2023. Summertime is when more people are usually out and about and taking transit. If they were really responding to ridership patterns, these changes would be done sooner, when ridership will likely be lower. During the Winter months, ridership at times is indeed lower vs the warmer months.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No they aren't. These changes are not being implemented immediately. They are being done in SIX months, in June 2023. Summertime is when more people are usually out and about and taking transit. If they were really responding to ridership patterns, these changes would be done sooner, when ridership will likely be lower. During the Winter months, ridership at times is indeed lower vs the warmer months.

In the end not sure how much money this would save though