SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

13 hours ago, mrsman said:

It almost seems like the above and many of the similar complaints are making the case for deinterlining, even for weekends and even for GOs, to the extent possible.

(7) and (L) have good service. They are reliable.  They are consistent.  The main reason that is the case is beause there are no other services that interfere with them.

That’s not entirely true. The (4) and (5) also interline but (until recently) haven’t had much delays resulting from G.O’s or other delays. The (1), (SF), (SR), (6), (G) also have good performances.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

For the most part I’ve found the (7) to be much better and way more reliable than the QBL especially when commuting on the weekends and nights. There has been plenty of times where I would get screwed during the late evening times because there would be construction happening along Queens Blvd and it would take an hour or more just to get from whichever Lexington Ave station either on the (E)(F) and or (R) to Forest Hills for my bus connection which I would almost always miss by a few minutes and then be forced to wait over 20 minutes for the next bus. 
Nowadays if I’m leaving the city late after 11pm I try to catch the (7) or the LIRR because I can’t be bothered wasting a over an hour on a subway trip that would take half the time to complete any other time of the day. 

People say the (N) and (R) are bad which I’m not disagreeing with but holy smokes sometimes I think the (F) the takes the crown. The (F) at times runs like pure dog crap and I’ve experienced countless times back when I was college traveling during the evening time back to Queens and there would be a 25-30 minute gap in service to then have sometimes 4 (F) trains bunched one after the next. This wasn’t something that would happen once in a while either. I would see happen so often that I would just take the (R) or (7) back even though they would run local. 

JESUS...The Queens Blvd Line still like that....It was the same way back when R32 and 46s Ran Solely on the (E)(F) nearly 15 years ago....That made me stop using it and resort to lirr for a few extra bucks.....Now the new signaling system i get will cause disruptions....But every weekend it something with QBL....

36 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

JESUS...The Queens Blvd Line still like that....It was the same way back when R32 and 46s Ran Solely on the (E)(F) nearly 15 years ago....That made me stop using it and resort to lirr for a few extra bucks.....Now the new signaling system i get will cause disruptions....But every weekend it something with QBL....

Nowadays I’m barely on the subways as I work in Long Island, but it used to be so annoying man. I could get on the (E) at 42nd street at 10:30pm for example and because of the construction I would reach Forest Hills at 11:55pm two minutes after the Q64 would leave forcing me to wait all the way until 12:22am just to be on the bus for less than 10 minutes.

We would always get slowed down to a snails pace in the 53rd street tunnel and then constantly stop in between stations up until 63rd drive. At that point trains would travel as normal and by the time I got to Forest Hills no matter what time it was for some reason I’d always just miss the Q64 as if it were done on purpose. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Nowadays I’m barely on the subways as I work in Long Island, but it used to be so annoying man. I could get on the (E) at 42nd street at 10:30pm for example and because of the construction I would reach Forest Hills at 11:55pm two minutes after the Q64 would leave forcing me to wait all the way until 12:22am just to be on the bus for less than 10 minutes.

We would always get slowed down to a snails pace in the 53rd street tunnel and then constantly stop in between stations up until 63rd drive. At that point trains would travel as normal and by the time I got to Forest Hills no matter what time it was for some reason I’d always just miss the Q64 as if it were done on purpose. 

I feel your pain. One late evening it took me 2.5 hours to get home due to delays on the QBL and then missing my bus in Jamaica by a few mins. After that, I started taking the LIRR after 10PM. Tested it out a few times, then bought a 10 trip off-peak. The commute home definitely improved.

One day around 9:30PM the (F) started getting delayed in the 63rd street tunnel, I got off at Roosevelt Island (The point of no return), crossed to the other side, took the train back to 34th and walked to Penn. I did NOT want to deal with the BS.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know...lol....I now live in nj but have a daughter in queens that i go see about 15-16 days out the month...all i take is lirr to see her....i only use the subway when i visit in BRKLYN...But at the time bout 15-16 years ago i lived on 122av and guy brewer and work in midtown and i always missed that 1230am Q111 from JC cause that 1130 (E) took more than an hour crawling in between stations ...always arrived around 1240 1245 1247 etc....I got fed up and started to take the next Lirr to Jamaica....Or when i was broke short on money use the (A) to the (J) at bway jct....

5 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I know...lol....I now live in nj but have a daughter in queens that i go see about 15-16 days out the month...all i take is lirr to see her....i only use the subway when i visit in BRKLYN...But at the time bout 15-16 years ago i lived on 122av and guy brewer and work in midtown and i always missed that 1230am Q111 from JC cause that 1130 (E) took more than an hour crawling in between stations ...always arrived around 1240 1245 1247 etc....I got fed up and started to take the next Lirr to Jamaica....Or when i was broke short on money use the (A) to the (J) at bway jct....

Taking the (E) late night was always a bitch. I remember when i used to head home with my friend after a day of fanning and he would miss the last N4 which sucked (Back then around 2010-2011, The last N4 left Jamaica around 1am and the next one was around 5:30am) and i would have to stay out all night since i would swipe him on the bus since i only had one unlimited and didn't have enough for the LIRR. This how we cranked out those old Super Subway Bros. videos back then. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:49 AM, N6 Limited said:

I feel your pain. One late evening it took me 2.5 hours to get home due to delays on the QBL and then missing my bus in Jamaica by a few mins. After that, I started taking the LIRR after 10PM. Tested it out a few times, then bought a 10 trip off-peak. The commute home definitely improved.

One day around 9:30PM the (F) started getting delayed in the 63rd street tunnel, I got off at Roosevelt Island (The point of no return), crossed to the other side, took the train back to 34th and walked to Penn. I did NOT want to deal with the BS.

Hahaha you were like nope we are not doing this today. I hear you on that. I’ve actually never thought about getting off and taking the train back to Penn for the LIRR. It might have saved me time and my sanity doing so. I usually would stick it out with the never ending hope that we get moving again lol. I sometimes do get off and take alternate routes when possible.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:57 AM, biGC323232 said:

I understand that Queens Blvd is one of the busiest corridors in the entire system so it will require lots of maintenance. The late night delays when they occur almost seem like never ending and there was one point back in 2021 when it was week after week for months and it got to the point that now I just make my way over to the (7) or LIRR and for the most part I don’t bother to check to see whats going on with the QBL at night. Honestly I'm convinced that the agency wants these late evening/night interruptions to cause some to get fed up with the subway and have them consider spending a few extra dollars for the LIRR.

22 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Taking the (E) late night was always a bitch. I remember when i used to head home with my friend after a day of fanning and he would miss the last N4 which sucked (Back then around 2010-2011, The last N4 left Jamaica around 1am and the next one was around 5:30am) and i would have to stay out all night since i would swipe him on the bus since i only had one unlimited and didn't have enough for the LIRR. This how we cranked out those old Super Subway Bros. videos back then. 

I forgot there was a time when the n4 didn’t run overnights. I’m glad that at least now the MTA offers some type of discount for those traveling between Jamaica, SE Queens and SW Nassau with the LIRR. The (E) and (F) have caused great frustration to many over the years. 

So I was looking on nycsubway.org in the Coney Island overhaul shop section, and I found this picture of an R32, but what confuses me is the thing on the right. We haven’t had any open gangway trains yet, and this is definitely not an R211T, with the picture being from 2017img_117343.jpg

21 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

So I was looking on nycsubway.org in the Coney Island overhaul shop section, and I found this picture of an R32, but what confuses me is the thing on the right. We haven’t had any open gangway trains yet, and this is definitely not an R211T, with the picture being from 2017img_117343.jpg

I think its called "VAKTRACK" or something like that. Basically just a Garbage train.

To chime in on QBL. I've had times where I've taken it overnight. Sometimes its okay but most of the time, I opt for the LIRR from Penn or Woodside to go home because I can't be botherd with riding QBL, arriving home at 01:15 when I arrive home at 00:45 on nights where I take LIRR home from work.

26 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

That looks like the Track Geometry Car.

3 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Since there will be a new high school at 425 ovington ave closest subway stop will be Bay ridge ave on the (R) wonder what could happen 

In terms of how people are going to act, hopefully the same way it's like at other schools next to a subway stop like New Utrecht next to 79 St, Lafayette and Dewey next to Bay 50 St, so on and so forth. Downside is it's the (R) and South Brooklyn so who knows how well that's going to be running. 

18 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

That's ether TGC 3 or TGC 4. TGC 1 and 2 are single units.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Hahaha you were like nope we are not doing this today. I hear you on that. I’ve actually never thought about getting off and taking the train back to Penn for the LIRR. It might have saved me time and my sanity doing so. I usually would stick it out with the never ending hope that we get moving again lol. I sometimes do get off and take alternate routes when possible.

Yeah, I wanted to save my time and sanity, I started comparing the times, and I realized that sometimes I would have gotten home an hour earlier if I went straight to Penn instead of dealing with the delays and missing the bus. I’ve even bailed further down the line when I saw that the Q60 was approaching and I could make it if I got outside quick enough. (When the (E)(F)  would sit in the local stations with the doors open) .

On 2/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The late night delays when they occur almost seem like never ending and there was one point back in 2021 when it was week after week for months and it got to the point that now I just make my way over to the (7) or LIRR and for the most part I don’t bother to check to see whats going on with the QBL at night. Honestly I'm convinced that the agency wants these late evening/night interruptions to cause some to get fed up with the subway and have them consider spending a few extra dollars for the LIRR.

I did try taking the (7) to Flushing and the Q27 one day, it wasn’t too bad, but the LIRR was much faster (to an extent, hourly headway off peak).

I didn’t even bother checking QB after a certain time, it was LIRR by default, on weekends as well. City Ticket became the default.

And yes, I’ve wondered about the MTA’s intentions as well, since it was actually the QBL delays that made me consider using the LIRR on weekdays.

(D) , (N) , AND (R) trains are all running every 15 minutes this weekend, so if you thought the scheduled waits were bad under the existing weekend schedule, you're in for the ride of a lifetime ride this weekend. This is because all trains are running local in both directions along 4th Avenue in Brooklyn. 

The (D) and (R) are already atrocious as it is (5 tph each, 10 tph total) and the (N) is slightly better (6 tph). Trains have shared the track in one direction before without reducing headways, so this makes me think that there's flagging that's gonna go on there. If so, I expect no time difference between points compared to the normal schedule and for the trains to be downright unreliable. 

Imma make sure to absolutely to avoid the (R) train at all costs. To the (7) train it is. Hopefully there aren't any damn ghost buses on the Q47. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(D) , (N) , AND (R) trains are all running every 15 minutes this weekend, so if you thought the scheduled waits were bad under the existing weekend schedule, you're in for the ride of a lifetime ride this weekend. This is because all trains are running local in both directions along 4th Avenue in Brooklyn. 

The (D) and (R) are already atrocious as it is (5 tph each, 10 tph total) and the (N) is slightly better (6 tph). Trains have shared the track in one direction before without reducing headways, so this makes me think that there's flagging that's gonna go on there. If so, I expect no time difference between points compared to the normal schedule and for the trains to be downright unreliable. 

Imma make sure to absolutely to avoid the (R) train at all costs. To the (7) train it is. Hopefully there aren't any damn ghost buses on the Q47. 

I can't avoid the (R) since it's the only line that serves my station during the weekends. This shit is going to suck, 15 mins turns into 30 mins. This is why i would welcome the (G) train back on QB because of shit like this

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I can't avoid the (R) since it's the only line that serves my station during the weekends. This shit is going to suck, 15 mins turns into 30 mins. This is why i would welcome the (G) train back on QB because of shit like this

And this weekend the (N) / (W) are each on about 20 minute headways, and don’t think the trains are evenly spaced out. It’s literally 1 minute for the (N), 3 minutes for the (W)) and then a 15 minute gap for the next (N) if it’s not cancelled due to crew shortages or flagging on 4 Av. I think the  (7) train commuters are keen to this are just opting for Uber/lyft, or Queens Blvd

On the way home from the city, I was on that said (N) running via the Brighton line. Got on at Prince St waiting for the (Q) but took that Nancy instead because the clocks show the next (Q) was 20 minutes away. As I got off at Brighton Beach, that said (Q) was now 30 minutes away. 4th Av must be really bad with all that 15 minute traffic each line. 

Edited by Calvin

23 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I think ideally the full (M) train should run on weekends. 6th Avenue getting reduced to 2 relatively infrequent lines is also problematic.